Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 03:28 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Uhuh. And if the US was not flooded with cheap, readily available drugs by Mexican drug cartels, maybe we would have fewer drug users.
As long as thier are customers the drugs will get in. I was watching a show the other night that said the carttels are moving into california because of relaxed marijuana enforcement.People might be fooled as to who control the illeagl drug industry in thsi country and the violence coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 04:32 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
What I said was that it was cocaine which began widespread popularity in the early 80's, meaning an explosion. I didn't say all hard drugs began widespread popularity in early 80's, like for crystal meth it was a bit later on.
And for heroin, earlier.

Quote:
Exuse me, I meant to say drugs like cocaine come through (not from) Mexico exclusively.
Not exclusively. Caribbean countries also.
US Hunts Caribbean Drugs but Odds Favor Smugglers - ABC News

Quote:
No on CIA involvement with cartels
Given past history it's not out of the question, particularly if there is Afghan heroin going through Mexico. EVERY political faction in Afghanistan is involved in the heroin trade. There may be a cartel backed by the CIA for all I know but I have not heard anything about it.

Colombia is still #1 btw.

The Afghan heroin is not "exclusively coming in through Mexico":

"The Department of Homeland Security also has found evidence of increasing Afghan heroin in this country. The agency reported skyrocketing numbers of seizures of heroin arriving at U.S. airports and seaports from India, not a significant heroin-producing country but a major transshipment point for Afghan drugs."

Pakistan News Service - PakTribune (http://www.paktribune.com/news/index.shtml?164774 - broken link)

Quote:
I was just agreeing with the person who wrote the CIA post on possible past government involvement with drug selling, that was supposed to be in America.
Which was me. Read "The Politics of Heroin" by Alfred McCoy, which also deals with cocaine trafficking in the 1980s.

Quote:
I didn't say I was an expert on classic movies, I just like some of them.
Besides "The French Connection", unfamiliar with the more recent movie "American Gangster"?

Quote:
Thank you for pointing out that most of marijuana is grown in U.S. now. all these drugs plus heroin are controlled by Mexican drug cartels in the U.S. of course.
Mexican drug cartels are amongst several players, not the only player as you seem to think. They are increasing in power, but there are still other groups involved: Colombians, Nigerians, South Asians, Russians, Chinese ; even the good old American mafia is still involved although it is far less important than in the past.

No single group controls marijuana in the US ; it's far too easy to produce and grow.

With the advances in synthetic drug production and increases in production in synthetic drugs in the upcoming decades, what will happen when the leading producer nations no longer are Colombia, Afghanistan, or Mexico, but the USA, Canada, Australia, and the EU?

Canada: The new global drug lord - Canada - Macleans.ca

Last edited by majoun; 09-12-2009 at 04:51 AM..

Old 09-12-2009, 10:47 AM

838 posts, read 922,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
And for heroin, earlier.

Not exclusively. Caribbean countries also.
US Hunts Caribbean Drugs but Odds Favor Smugglers - ABC News

Given past history it's not out of the question, particularly if there is Afghan heroin going through Mexico. EVERY political faction in Afghanistan is involved in the heroin trade. There may be a cartel backed by the CIA for all I know but I have not heard anything about it.

Colombia is still #1 btw.

The Afghan heroin is not "exclusively coming in through Mexico":

"The Department of Homeland Security also has found evidence of increasing Afghan heroin in this country. The agency reported skyrocketing numbers of seizures of heroin arriving at U.S. airports and seaports from India, not a significant heroin-producing country but a major transshipment point for Afghan drugs."

Pakistan News Service - PakTribune (http://www.paktribune.com/news/index.shtml?164774 - broken link)

Which was me. Read "The Politics of Heroin" by Alfred McCoy, which also deals with cocaine trafficking in the 1980s.

Besides "The French Connection", unfamiliar with the more recent movie "American Gangster"?

Mexican drug cartels are amongst several players, not the only player as you seem to think. They are increasing in power, but there are still other groups involved: Colombians, Nigerians, South Asians, Russians, Chinese ; even the good old American mafia is still involved although it is far less important than in the past.

No single group controls marijuana in the US ; it's far too easy to produce and grow.

With the advances in synthetic drug production and increases in production in synthetic drugs in the upcoming decades, what will happen when the leading producer nations no longer are Colombia, Afghanistan, or Mexico, but the USA, Canada, Australia, and the EU?

Canada: The new global drug lord - Canada - Macleans.ca
Thanks for offer, but about the book I care nothing about past CIA, I never saw either movie you mentioned and won't watch them, have little time for movies. The DEA and other experts say 97% of drugs come here through Mexico, except for most of some marijuana apparently. The DEA and other authorities say that all drugs are run by the Mexican criminal cartels in America, even marijuana grown here. The experts say the cartels will not allow competition. Mexican cartels are in every single state now. Nothing I said here about drugs is my opinion, it is facts by authorities.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:55 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
The past D*ckless Wonders in Office have done nothing to stop the drug trafficking.

The present Goof Off has done nothing substantial....except apologize for us to another corrupt "ally".

We are the evil ones.

Nothing will be done.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:18 PM

[quote=clsicmovies;10724777]
Quote:
The DEA and other authorities say that all drugs are run by the Mexican criminal cartels in America, even marijuana grown here.
No they don't. I looked at both the FBI and DEA sites and neither one said that.

It's one thing to say that cartels are growing in power (true), it's another thing to say that they have "exclusive" control.

And while cartel interest in marijuana grown in the US has increased, NO ONE controls marijuana growing in the US - I think you underestimate how big it is that there is room for many players and how few barriers to entry there are into the market for marijuana. For the cartels marijuana is a secondary business in the first place, as there's not as much money to be made as from hard drugs.

Quote:
The experts say the cartels will not allow competition.
Perhaps they'd like to not allow competition but that is not the case right now. They are a major force but not the only major force.

If they truly would not allow competition and tried to force the Colombians out, for example, they'd have no more cocaine.

Quote:
Mexican cartels are in every single state now.
But not "exclusively" controlling the drug market in every single state.

You have been proven wrong throughout this thread and all the political boards, why don't you confine your posting to movie boards, except you don't know much about "classic movies" either.

Quote:
Nothing I said here about drugs is my opinion, it is facts by authorities.
Except you've been proven wrong time and time again

Last edited by majoun; 09-13-2009 at 01:36 PM..

Old 09-13-2009, 02:15 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Why would I pay for (inferior) drug cartel product when it's something I could grow in my backyard with no problem whatsoever if it wasn't for our government and its failed drug policy?

Old 09-13-2009, 03:49 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You're right. It's more about ANY kind of crime that open borders make easy. Many are involved in auto theft and carjackings, extortion on both sides of the border -- and drugs don't have to be involved at all. In Ciudad Juarez now, they are kidnapping for ransom, people who were not involved in any way with drug trafficking but appear they might have even some money. They are being kidnapped, the ransom demanded is not too high and once it's paid, the victims are released unharmed.

A couple of Mexican nationals were arrested the other week in Las Cruces for threatening a family business of a Mexican family, trying to extort money from them. Supposedly the business wasn't drug related in any way.

There's even some evidence that the border is being somewhat controlled, Americans are buying less drugs, and that's leading to an increase in violent crime like kidnapping for money because the criminals are after money any way they can get it.
Not to mention the sex-trade industry. I've read (I'll have to do some research to provide some links) that the kidnapping, smuggling and selling of sex slaves is even more profitable than drugs becuase people can be sold over and over.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Not to mention the sex-trade industry. I've read (I'll have to do some research to provide some links) that the kidnapping, smuggling and selling of sex slaves is even more profitable than drugs becuase people can be sold over and over.
That is true.

And one of the uncomfortable truths that the "anti-illegal" crowd have to face is that both legalization of drugs and prostitution are necessary to significantly reduce the number of illegal immigrants from everywhere, including but not limited to Mexico.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Wait...we're not talking about handing out drugs to people. Legal or not, if people want them, they will get them, and they are. Are you really thinking that if it was legal that we're going to be doling them out to children at school or something?

Let me run this by you one more time: Juarez is right across the border from the United States. You expect that border will keep it from spilling over? How can you, when roughly a third of your 10K-plus posts on city-data are in the illegal immigration forum? If the illegals are getting over and the bad guys are getting over, do you honestly think it will never affect us? Let me guess - you live nowhere even somewhat close to the Mexican border. Because here in Texas, we know all too well just how close this mess is getting. It was different when this was going on in Colombia, but now that it's on our doorstep, suddenly people are talking turkey about changing our approach to drug policy.

Did Alcohol Use Decrease During Alcohol Prohibition?

Anyway, here's some food for thought on the effects of alcohol prohibition on actual alcohol use. Do you suppose that legalizing any other drug will have an opposite effect (i.e. use will increase)? If so, why? Can you provide any evidence other than "well, I think it will, so it will?"
You've obviously not read many of my posts, not even on this thread because I posted pictures a few pages back about what is actually happening in the USA now because the violent criminals of Mexico were given the control over the border. I posted the links showing the actual mutilation done to a Mexican drug trafficker living in Horizon near the border, who was dragged out of his home in broad daylight by 3 men driving an SUV with his wife and school children witnessing the event. Recently another drug lord from Mexico was executed in a posh neighborhood in the USA but those are far from isolated events.

There has been no drug war. There was really no attempt to stop truckloads and boxcar loads of drugs from Mexico ever. Yes a few displays of some things to make people think otherwise but tons and tons of every kind of drug come easily over that border -- as well as millions of illegals to do whatever they please here.

You don't get it. These people are extremely greedy and will do absolutely anything for money. You think if all hard drugs are made legal in the USA and sold in every 7-11, that these hardened criminals will put on ties and go get jobs at McDonalds. Well -- there are no jobs for them.

You've got a situation where the population boom has far exceeded any job boom in addition to a destruction of their rural way of life almost overnight to an urban slum way of living. Like I said, there are no jobs, or no jobs that provide social mobility to people who drop out of school and breed at very young ages and choose to to baby after baby with no means of supporting them. Their problems don't instantly go away when you take drug trafficking out of the picture. What then? Millions and millions of unskilled, uneducated people still having children they can never support, living now in horrendous slums -- they'll just find other crimes or continue killing one another for any reason.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:59 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Anyway, here's some food for thought on the effects of alcohol prohibition on actual alcohol use. Do you suppose that legalizing any other drug will have an opposite effect (i.e. use will increase)? If so, why? Can you provide any evidence other than "well, I think it will, so it will?"
Do you know that alcohol leads to murders and deaths still today? Legalization has not made it safe and hasn't eliminated murder.

CHARTS. Homicide, murder. Rates worldwide. Many nations. Various causes for differences in rates. Drug war, handguns, poverty, poor safety nets, poor healthcare nets, corporatist hate radio, etc.. Many NRA members are Morons and Sheep. Wake up the sh

There wasn't Prohibition of alcohol in the 1970's and early 1990's but look what happened to the murder rate - it went up well over what it was during Prohibition and it's actually dropped significantly since the 1990's - even with drugs still being illegal in recent years. Our murder rate has dropped quite a lot -- without drug legalization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies