Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:39 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,768,347 times

Advertisements

I am having an interesting week. My boy and I love scouting. It has helped us to make new friends, set goals and achievement, and learn about character.

After the big blow up back east about the gay Den Leader who was expelled, half my den wants to quit (I am a Den Leader myself-straight guy). None are gay, but they have gay family members who are apparently offended by their siblings being in an openly bigoted organization.

Personally, for Cub Scouts especially, I just don't think we need to discuss orientation at all, or to levy judgments about such topics. I'd much rather talk about Pinewood Derby cars!

Pinewood derby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And rocket launches!

Cub Scout Water Rockets - YouTube

I bring this up, because this is the sort of thing that has a long tradition since early in the last century, but that tradition needs to be revisited. I am hoping that the Millenials, with their much stronger expectation of equality across race and gender lines, will provide the leadership to bring the BSA into the 21st Century. We do not need to equate character development with the support for bigotry.

I love scouting, but I may step down if the organization cannot move forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:41 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
So leave then, nobody is forcing you to stay.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:45 AM

831 posts, read 680,887 times
I'm pretty sure there are others in your local vacinaty, otherwise bring it up with your regional scout association?

Old 04-30-2012, 10:59 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,768,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
I'm pretty sure there are others in your local vacinaty, otherwise bring it up with your regional scout association?

I think we might consider running a protest up the flag pole. Scouting is a great thing for America, and it should not be bigoted. We'll see what folks say.

Otherwise, we may need to do a splinter group:

"Scouts who are not obsessed with other peoples' personal lives."

Old 04-30-2012, 11:01 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,655,705 times
I persoanlly feel that the Scouts teach our young kids the best things in life including having the morals and convictions to denounce a behavior they do not agree with or give in to political correctness. I think we should being teaching more people in general about the following ideals:

The Boy Scout Oath:

On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally straight.

The Boy Scout Law : A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

The Boy Scout Slogan : Do a good turn daily

The Boy Scout Motto : Be prepared

I can't stand when people discriminate against the boy scouts and ignore these wonderful teachings. Maybe if we had more people who did the above, there would be fewer problems in the world.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:04 AM

419 posts, read 365,476 times
I would leave. I wouldn't want my son involved with that.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:06 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
I said it before and I'll say it again "Glee Scouts"

Old 04-30-2012, 11:10 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
My son has been in the BSA for 5 years now and loves it, but I continue to wrestle with this ideology. I have raised my children with the belief that bigotry is wrong, and sincerely hope that the BSA emulate the Girl Scouts in moving into the 21st century and updating their policies to be inclusive, and to really and truly teach our young men that hate is not an admirable quality.

Jennifer Tyrrell, Boy Scouts Den Mother Ousted For Being A Lesbian: 'I Was Accepted By All'

Old 04-30-2012, 11:11 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I think we might consider running a protest up the flag pole. Scouting is a great thing for America, and it should not be bigoted. We'll see what folks say.

Otherwise, we may need to do a splinter group:

"Scouts who are not obsessed with other peoples' personal lives."
You see, whenever you claim others are bigoted for not accepting homosexuality then you need to look in the mirror and understand your own bigotry you are projecting against them as well.

Scouting was founded upon Christian principals. If the OP is so bigoted he cannot accept this fact but instead wants to change the organization so that he/she can feel better about himself/herself, then why participate in it?

Old 04-30-2012, 11:20 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I am having an interesting week. My boy and I love scouting. It has helped us to make new friends, set goals and achievement, and learn about character.

After the big blow up back east about the gay Den Leader who was expelled, half my den wants to quit (I am a Den Leader myself-straight guy). None are gay, but they have gay family members who are apparently offended by their siblings being in an openly bigoted organization.

Personally, for Cub Scouts especially, I just don't think we need to discuss orientation at all, or to levy judgments about such topics. I'd much rather talk about Pinewood Derby cars!

Pinewood derby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And rocket launches!

Cub Scout Water Rockets - YouTube

I bring this up, because this is the sort of thing that has a long tradition since early in the last century, but that tradition needs to be revisited. I am hoping that the Millenials, with their much stronger expectation of equality across race and gender lines, will provide the leadership to bring the BSA into the 21st Century. We do not need to equate character development with the support for bigotry.

I love scouting, but I may step down if the organization cannot move forward.
The Scouts will not change/budge on the issue, so you have two choices; stay and ignore the issue or leave if your own standards say you do not want to associate with such bigotry. That said, since it is proven that the organization is run by bigots they should get not national funding, endorsements or recognition, that is the price one should pay to stick to their own ideals if they are unacceptable and wrong. Personally I would be dead set against sn or grandson of mine joining the Scouts, there are better alternatives and I would not want them taught that the Scout stand on the issue is acceptable, because it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies