Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:21 AM

211 posts, read 946,114 times

Advertisements

How does 'personal characteristics' include people here illegally? If you read the actual document you will find that it does not disallow people here illegally from purchasing their own insurance however it does explicity forbid them from receiving the tax credit to pay for it. FYI - they can purchase health insurance now. In fact one of the provisions in the document does forbit "federal payment for undocumented aliens". Stop believeing emails, blogs, etc. Read it for yourself.

**an article written by someone about the document is not actual proof. The document itself is proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 09:30 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times
Some people will, apparently, let someone suffer and maybe die in order to save themselves some money. Despicable is the term for that behavior.

Calling someone a liar because the said something you disagree with is just plain inaccurate, wrong and usually insulting to the person making the statement and to the people reading the comment. Again despicable.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:41 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,326,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
I'm not a politician or an expert on this sort of thing but I do know what is being proposed is wrong and un-constitutional. How is making it fine and dandy to insure ILLEGAL aliens (read criminals) the way to go? It's insanity.
Facts:
1. 11.9 million illegal immigrants are already in the US http://media.charlotteobserver.com/s...es/pdf/107.pdf
2. It is not possible to return them to their home countries.
3. When they get sick, they seek medical care. Most cannot pay private doctor fees, so they go to ERs, free clinics, etc, which are tax payer supported.
4. Illegal immigrants have been sick in the past, they get sick now, and they will get sick in the future.

Now, other than letting them die in the streets, what choices does this country have regarding medical care for illegal immigrants? You don't have to be either a politician or an expert, just be in possession of some common sense.

They're here, they're not going anywhere, they get sick, they need medical care - where do they get it? who pays for it? You either have a plan in place or you have chaos.

Choose one.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:48 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,871,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Do you understand the difference between "illegals" and "illegal aliens" or "illegal immigrants?" Here's a hint: one of those terms has one word, and the others have two. That makes them different.

Understand? If not, DM me and I'll give you an even more detailed explanation.
Semantics. You need to do better than that.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:51 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,074,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I do not care where the folks came from. If they are here and they get sick they should be treated just like anyone else.

I am not about to load my karma with the responsibility for letting a child die because they were "illegal".

Of course sick people should be treated and then deported. Have you ever considered if foreigners knew they would get no free benefits they may not find it as profitable to break our laws and come here illegally? What an idea!

Old 09-10-2009, 09:53 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,808,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Do you understand the difference between "illegals" and "illegal aliens" or "illegal immigrants?" Here's a hint: one of those terms has one word, and the others have two. That makes them different.

Understand? If not, DM me and I'll give you an even more detailed explanation.
Your point is well-taken. I've been guilty of shorthanding and using the term "illegals" myself, and will take better care in the future. Would have repped you, but need to spread it around, evidently.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Facts:
1. 11.9 million illegal immigrants are already in the US http://media.charlotteobserver.com/s...es/pdf/107.pdf
2. It is not possible to return them to their home countries.
3. When they get sick, they seek medical care. Most cannot pay private doctor fees, so they go to ERs, free clinics, etc, which are tax payer supported.
4. Illegal immigrants have been sick in the past, they get sick now, and they will get sick in the future.

Now, other than letting them die in the streets, what choices does this country have regarding medical care for illegal immigrants? You don't have to be either a politician or an expert, just be in possession of some common sense.

They're here, they're not going anywhere, they get sick, they need medical care - where do they get it? who pays for it? You either have a plan in place or you have chaos.

Choose one.
Who says it's impossible to deport them? Has anyone really tried? No. They should not be treated here. When they show up in an ER they should be arrested and sent back! Heartless? Maybe, but too bad, they are breaking the law. We need to secure our borders and deport every illegal immigrant we find. They do not deserve to be here and be supported by my and other law abiding citizens tax dollars.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:54 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,808,044 times
Quote:
Who says it's impossible to deport them? Has anyone really tried? No. They should not be treated here. When they show up in an ER they should be arrested and sent back! Heartless? Maybe, but too bad, they are breaking the law. We need to secure our borders and deport every illegal immigrant we find. They do not deserve to be here and be supported by my and other law abiding citizens tax dollars.
It goes beyond heartless to deny emergency care to someone in dire need of it.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It goes beyond heartless to deny emergency care to someone in dire need of it.
They chose to come here illegally. They have to deal with the consequences. Stay in their own country and get treated there if they get sick. I have no sympathy for criminals.
If someone breaks into my house and tries to harm me or my family and I shoot them, they need medical care. Do I care if they get it or not? No. Same thing to me.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:57 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,326,146 times
Quote:
OK, so you do have a plan. I can't say that I disagree with your sentiments. However, we both know that deporting 11.9 million is not going to happen. So, we're back to needing a plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies