Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:02 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times

Advertisements

The ones with no coverage need to be made to work off their bill if they are here as an illegal alien......We have to pay our bills so why not everyone ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 09:10 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Without doing my "homework"? You mean I can't start a thread based on the opinion of a well respected Constitutional Attorney?
You're talking about an incident where someone illegal is injured and rolls up to the emergency room... and you're right.. they will be treated because that is the humane thing to do.. and you're right the government will foot the bill on that situation... but...
The taxpayers ALREADY pay for this sort of situation under our current system... and the tax payers pay current market prices for it too...
so a public option does not change anything in this situation... it will only make the overall cost of it lower...

Old 09-11-2009, 07:56 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Lets see, if an illegal is in critical condition TODAY they can walk into an emergency room an receive care. When Obama's plan is passed, the same thing will occur..HOWEVER, NOTHING in OBAMA'S plan provides them any health insurance coverage..Do you wackos think that ER Drs should be checking pockets looking for ID before administring aid?

It's crazy how easily some can be manipulated in believing nonsense. You are already paying for illegals to receive care.
You're missing the point, and if my original new thread had not been moved to within some totally unrelated thread, you might have understood what was said, which is this:
Joe Wilson had called Obama a liar when he said in his speech that his plan did not give health insurance to illegals.

Judge Andrew Napalotono, commenting on this on Neal Cavuto said that this was absolutely false, that the plan would indeed cover illegals; because, he said, (and he added that as an attorney, Obama should know this) the Supreme Court, by virtue of the fact that they refused to here a case on a California Propsition that had been overturned by the courts (a propsition that basically denied health care to illegals), any Federal plan offered to one class of people cannot be denied to another. If the Obama plan tries to exclude illegal aliens, it will be declared unconstitutional.

Therefore, the Obama plan will (must) cover illegals. I may not have all the fine details exactly right, because I'm not familiar with the case Napalotano was referring to. But the essential truth is what he said; they will be covered, because they cannot be denied that coverage, under the Constitution.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:33 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
You're missing the point, and if my original new thread had not been moved to within some totally unrelated thread, you might have understood what was said, which is this:
Joe Wilson had called Obama a liar when he said in his speech that his plan did not give health insurance to illegals.

Judge Andrew Napalotono, commenting on this on Neal Cavuto said that this was absolutely false, that the plan would indeed cover illegals; because, he said, (and he added that as an attorney, Obama should know this) the Supreme Court, by virtue of the fact that they refused to here a case on a California Propsition that had been overturned by the courts (a propsition that basically denied health care to illegals), any Federal plan offered to one class of people cannot be denied to another. If the Obama plan tries to exclude illegal aliens, it will be declared unconstitutional.

Therefore, the Obama plan will (must) cover illegals. I may not have all the fine details exactly right, because I'm not familiar with the case Napalotano was referring to. But the essential truth is what he said; they will be covered, because they cannot be denied that coverage, under the Constitution.

Nonesense, i wish that thread wasn't moved as well, because that is false. The Judge may have said it, but he's playing word semantics. Non Documented Illegal Immigrants are not eligible for benefits. Documented Immigrants are and will be eligible for benefits. No matter how both you and the judge play on words, thats totally the bottom line. The only way illegal non documented immigrants can obtain benefits is either through their children or using someone else's information illegally.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:38 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Ozzie, I doubt his comment have been on the Internet yet, as he just made these statements tonight on Fox News, when they were discussing Joe Wilson, who shouted "liar" or whatever he shouted (I didn't listen to Obama's speedh).

Basically he said, "I cannot judge Obama's heart, but (paraphrasing now) that if the Federal Government tries to exclued illegals from the health care plan, it will be ruled "Unconstitutional", because the Federal Government cannot discriminate; if it provides coverage for any group, it must apply equally to all groups. Thus, he said, illegals are included.
By your own admission in this statement, Obama's claim is not a lie. This judge was simply saying what he believed a ruling would be (future tense). He has nothing but his own opinion on that matter and no crystal ball into the future or current legal document supporting his claims.

In the future, it would be far more valuable to present an individual's opinion without extrapolating your own opinion that "Obama lied". It's very unprofessional.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:39 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
The ones with no coverage need to be made to work off their bill if they are here as an illegal alien......We have to pay our bills so why not everyone ?
?? You want to allow illegal aliens to work legally to pay off their debt?

Old 09-11-2009, 08:46 AM

211 posts, read 947,770 times
Its illegal for companies to discriminate also but they can not hire someone here illegally.

I can not see how this can hold water. That would mean any of our federal laws/programs would cover anyone in the world because we can't discriminate against someone visiting here from any country or a terrorist or what if someone from France wants to get medical care here can we discriminate from someone because they are from France.....etc.

Last edited by cd771; 09-11-2009 at 09:03 AM..

Old 09-11-2009, 08:46 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,342 times
Quote:

I heard that as well and do believe that the judge would have done his homework before presenting that on TV.

However, I don't think it will ever come to that because either it will be added to what ever bill finally gets passed or (and this is what I think will happen) there will be no "Illegals" by then. Probably both, I don't doubt for a second that our healthcare system will be expected to cover anyone who wanders into this country.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:58 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Before it was "locked", Happy Texan mentioned in the second thread on this subject that the current bills were rewritten to say that only those with SS cards could buy into the health care pool. Great! Now my relative who married an illegal who has had at least two SS cards can get health care.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
I heard that as well and do believe that the judge would have done his homework before presenting that on TV.

However, I don't think it will ever come to that because either it will be added to what ever bill finally gets passed or (and this is what I think will happen) there will be no "Illegals" by then. Probably both, I don't doubt for a second that our healthcare system will be expected to cover anyone who wanders into this country.
There is precedent already..in California.
Here's an article on what happened in California with Proposition 187:

California counties cut healthcare to illegal immigrants - Los Angeles Times
"California Coalition for Immigration Reform, sponsored Proposition 187, the initiative that tried to bar the state from providing public services to illegal immigrants before it died in federal court."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies