Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 03:35 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,987,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I think..and this is off the top of my head..about 10% or so.
So even if people are skeptical (myself included,) isn't it way too early to consider this a bust?

I know a handful of commercial real estate developers that are starting to benefit from the stimulus. Everything is on hold for private development, but public projects are currently keeping them afloat.

Look, I totally understand why some of you don't think the stimulus is necessary because it might not affect you. I just don't like the tone some of you have around here. It's like you want the stimulus plan to fail for political reasons. There are millions in both the public and private sector that need help right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 03:54 PM

22,140 posts, read 19,364,247 times
Considering the stimulus bill was signed till a little more than 1/2 way through Feb and it took a few weeks for any of the funding to start its a bit silly to count the Feb job loss total as part of the post stimulus job loss.

While job loss is still occurring the rate which it is occurring is much slower than what it was. Its about 1/3 of what it late last year and early this year. Out of the past 12 months (Sept 08-Aug 09) the two months with the lowest job loss have occurred in the last two months (with August having the lowest)

Old 09-11-2009, 03:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,237,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Considering the stimulus bill was signed till a little more than 1/2 way through Feb and it took a few weeks for any of the funding to start its a bit silly to count the Feb job loss total as part of the post stimulus job loss.

While job loss is still occurring the rate which it is occurring is much slower than what it was. Its about 1/3 of what it late last year and early this year. Out of the past 12 months (Sept 08-Aug 09) the two months with the lowest job loss have occurred in the last two months (with August having the lowest)
Do you realize the BLS changed the birth/death model since last year so it's not apples to apples comparison anymore.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:18 PM

22,140 posts, read 19,364,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Do you realize the BLS changed the birth/death model since last year so it's not apples to apples comparison anymore.
The BLS birth/death model changes results in more accurate numbers. Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that while we are still losing jobs we aren't losing them at nearly the same pace we were in the months right before the Stimulus was passed and took effect.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:31 AM

563 posts, read 517,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antibes View Post
8 years of bad decisions, and you expect a 180 degree u-turn in only 6 months??? Get real. We need at least 8 years if not 13 to get back on track. There is no way to get whole economy in order within 30, 60 or even 90 days!

How long does it take for YOU to get back on track if you have high bills, huge mortgage and no income? You can do that in 1 to 6 months?

Didn't think so...

Unemployment is going down. That's a good sign in terrible times.
Unemployment is going down? What Country's stats are you looking at? It was said if this simulis goes through that the unemployment rate will not go over 8.5%. We are well over 12 since it went through. Don't forget to count the people who had under the table jobs or that are out of work and not collecting.

I am against any bank getting another dollar of money and I am for Congress going forward to put a limit on the banks.

I had a company decide to put my check in on the 19th and it was dated for the 20th, when I get my direct deposit. They put it in early. I learned that they are permitted to and did and I got an outrageous $35 overdraft fee assessed. I called customer service back today since today is when it had hit and was told they can only give me back half.

My entire building is on direct deposit with this bank. For their protection, lets call them REGIONS. Besides the accounts from my office, well over 300 and my Aunt having just over $300,000 in CD's, they gave me half, not the entire thing. They are willing to lose the $300K they have in there over $17 and potentially anyone in my building that will go close their accounts. I have the top 10 earners in this building just head over there to close out and my Aunt is on her way. I gave them the name of the "Supervisor" and said if they want to know why, tell them it was because of her and $17.

A co-worker of mine has a girlfriend who works for a bank and she says that the overdraft fees and any other type of fees that are collected get distributed as a bonus to the employees there. With the stimulis package, they no longer get that bonus, instead it goes to the bottom line. Isn't it amazing? That is why I love small town banks. They know you by name and they take care of their people.

If you have had this happen, I strongly urge you to find one in your area or even walmart has the visa/mastercard reloadable debit card of which you can have your check loaded onto.

Tell these banks where to go and tell Obama NO MORE FUNDS TO THE BANKS.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:33 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,419,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Hows all that hope and change working out for you...

Bureau of Labor Statistics data shows that 2.2 million jobs have been lost in the five full months since the “stimulus” was signed into law by President Obama.

The total number of jobs nationwide fell from 134.3 million at the end of January to 131.5 million at the end of July. This is a total job loss of 2.8 million jobs since Obama took office.

Job losses per month are as follows:
  • February: -651,000
  • March: -663,000
  • April: -539,000
  • May: -303,000
  • June: -443,000
  • July: -247,000

Did you notice the downward trend in those job losses?

How many jobs would have been snuffed out without the stimulus?

Old 11-21-2009, 08:47 AM

58,630 posts, read 26,945,161 times
S.C. umemployment went up to12.1% I October.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:52 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,061,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Job losses per month are as follows:
  • February: -651,000
  • March: -663,000
  • April: -539,000
  • May: -303,000
  • June: -443,000
  • July: -247,000
From 651K to 247K?

I know you were hoping for the reverse... sorry. Thanks for posting the encouraging news, though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies