Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 08:14 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I honestly don't understand the hoopla?

Americans are ridiculous. Ever watch the British house of commons? Now THAT is political discourse!
They cannot do ONE thing...they canNOT call anyone a "liar"....kinda like CD...but not like the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 11:40 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I did extensive research on S.C. history a few years back.

From my index cards, I see that in 1820 the population of Richland County (where Columbia is) was 4500 whites, 7627 blacks, and 15 free blacks. By 1826 the number of blacks had passed 14,000, or three blacks for every white.

The importation of more slaves into South Carolina was banned sometimes shortly thereafter due to the fear of an uprising with the white population at a severe disadvantage due to inferior numbers.

I don't know the reference material of the other poster stating that the CSA did so across the board, but if it is fact, it would probably be due to the same circumstances being widespread.

Don't for a minute think there was any altruism or humanity in the act.
Here's your answer.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:42 AM

37,200 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Taxes View Post
And neither was Lincoln's emancipation.
If you are trying to pick a fight, you're using the wrong words.

While I believe there were a number of reasons for the Emancipation, you are correct in stating that it was not a simple humanitarian act. This forum isn't large enough to hold the full discussion of the reasons for and ramifications of that simple document.

A case can be made that Lincoln hated the black race, demonstrated by the EP.

Millions of people were turned out on the roads with no money, no jobs, no homes, no education, and nowhere to go to get any without strong arm tactics. A lot of them ended up as highwaymen to feed their families.

Many of the freed slaves stayed where they were, afraid of the devil they didn't know; thousands more lived in ghettoes in northern cities, sleeping stacked like cordwood thirty and forty to a room in conditions that no farmer would prescribe for his livestock.

The problem of the blacks being freed but not able to integrate into society during Reconstruction was the main theme of Joel Chandler Harris' Uncle Remus story about the Tarbaby. The country was stuck with a huge problem and couldn't find any way to extract itself.

Any more points I missed?

Last edited by cuebald; 09-12-2009 at 11:53 AM..

Old 09-15-2009, 07:49 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
She calls the American public "UnAmerican and the Town hall attenders are called "brown shirts with swastika's on their arm"! No appology what so ever.
thats what i see, swatstikas.. why apologize for that...actually they are unamerican because they failed to exercise their rights when president bush was in office so

Old 09-15-2009, 07:51 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
the truth is lincoln intention was to never free the slaves theres alot more to it than so called freeing the slaves, he wa also scrutinized by other republicans at the time and of course his opponent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies