Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 04:38 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times

Advertisements

I've seen more than my share of doctors of late and all are opposed to it. One said that she would go broke.... Makes me wonder if I have the right doctors......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 04:48 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I've seen more than my share of doctors of late and all are opposed to it. One said that she would go broke.... Makes me wonder if I have the right doctors......
I try not to talk politics with my doctor but I doubt I would have time to make my views known anyway.
When I see my family doctor, she's only with me for about 15 minutes.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:07 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
There are MILLIONS of US doctors who prefer a single payer system....
Really? By 'MILLIONS' you mean at least 2 million right? That's curious. Have you researched how many practicing physicians there are in the US right now? I have - you should try a google search on it.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:12 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,229,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
There is really just the one major DC paper. We have the Times and the Examiner as well, but no one really pays either of them any actual attention.
Yeah, I guess I was being too kind to the Times

Old 09-11-2009, 05:18 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,229,619 times
What I've heard from doctors is that they hate all the time and resources spent managing all the different insurance plans, that it's a terrible headache and waste of time. Filling out forms, having staff make multiple phone calls to verify benefits, etc.

March 31 (Reuters) - More than half of U.S. doctors now favor switching to a national health care plan and fewer than a third oppose the idea, according to a survey published on Monday.

The survey suggests that opinions have changed substantially since the last survey in 2002 and as the country debates serious changes to the health care system.

Of more than 2,000 doctors surveyed, 59 percent said they support legislation to establish a national health insurance program, while 32 percent said they opposed it, researchers reported in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine.

US doctors support universal health care - survey | Reuters

And in 2004:
Nearly two-thirds (64 percent) of Massachusetts physicians favor single-payer national health insurance, far more than support managed care (10 percent) or fee-for-service care (26 percent), according to a Harvard Medical School study published Monday (Feb. 9) in the Archives of Internal Medicine. National health insurance (NHI) received majority support from physicians of virtually every age, gender, and medical specialty - even among surgeons a plurality supported NHI. The breadth of physician support for NHI was highlighted by the fact that most members of the American Medical Association (AMA) and the Massachusetts Medical Society favor the single-payer approach. Despite this high level of support, however, only about half (51.9 percent) of physicians studied were aware that a majority of their fellow physicians support NHI.

Harvard Gazette: Physicians overwhelmingly endorse single-payer insurance

That's just a sample of different studies showing there is physician support for single payer.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:28 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
Really? By 'MILLIONS' you mean at least 2 million right? That's curious. Have you researched how many practicing physicians there are in the US right now? I have - you should try a google search on it.
Millions is better than hundreds.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:33 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
You would never know, but hundreds of US doctors and their supporters marched on Washington yesterday to protest the Democratic plan to nationalize health care.

The AP failed to pick it up and the state-run MSM ignored it too. The two biggest losers are the Capitals two newspapers, the Washington Post and Potomac News, who both slept on it too.

Did anyone hear about this?
Important question...

Did the demonstrator's leaders TELL the media they were marching?

Old 09-11-2009, 05:35 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
There are MILLIONS of US doctors who prefer a single payer system....

YouTube - Ed On Single-Payer

The Doctors' Revolt | The American Prospect

Now if only more doctors could urge their patients to call their Congressional representative and get them to voice their support for a single payer system.......

Millions? I thought there were only 750,000 to 800,000 physicians in the US (including those in residencies) . I don't know of a single one in our 135 doc practice that supports the Obama plan/ Why? No tort reform.

Are those millions from other countries?

Physicans are not ones to attend rallies and take to the streets. Why? BECAUSE WE ARE ON CALL!!! We don't have time for such nonsense.

http://righttruth.typepad.com/right_...n-doctors.html

Little problem here-

" Now if only more doctors could urge their patients to call their Congressional representative and get them to voice their support for a single payer system". Are you not the same twits that went ballistic about the doc making an off handed comment about Obama's health plan in Texas?

We are not supposed to discuss politics with patients!!!! They are there for a medical reason, not to be lectured on politics. We have time only to discuss medical problems and do not have the time, nor the interest in yapping about politics. It is a waste of valuable time and borders on the unethical.

Unlike liberals, we conservatives believe that most people are pretty smart and will figure out for themselves what works best for them- either a public plan or not. Why would one assume that we as physicians can influence anyone else's political views? I guess we are not as arrogant as the dems.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:40 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
I can tell you that in Europe not many doctors are happy with the system and work so many patients for such a low income..compared to oter countries! The workload is overwhelming and treatments are cut all the time by the government.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:42 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Millions? I thought there were only 750,000 to 800,000 physicians in the US (including those in residencies) . I don't know of a single one in our 135 doc practice that supports the Obama plan/ Why? No tort reform.

Are those millions from other countries?
BINGO! That is what I was getting at, but it sticks better if someone does their own search/research than if I just tell them the facts.

(And add 4 of 4 physicians in my practice that do not support the current plans under consideration - for the same reason.)

Last edited by tyanger; 09-11-2009 at 05:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies