Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 11:21 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,636,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Between the attempt to demonize Sonia Sotomayor, using "illegal" aliens as the whipping boy for opposition to national healthcare policies, and calling the first African American President of the United States a racist, fascist, and the unprecedented display of a white Republican Congressman from South Carolina calling his a liar, how do you suppose you will enlarge the base of your party?

I really not interested in debating the truth or sincerity of these points of opposition, in fact I will stipulate for the purposes of this thread (and this thread only) that the charges are legitimate, what I am interested in are the realties of real life electoral politics.

In the last election Obama demonstrated that a non-white candidate can win the highest office in the land without winning a majority of the white vote. That fact will not diminish in the coming years or decades. Do you or the Republican Party understand how these attacks, as legitimate as they are (remember this thread only) resonate with hispanic and African American voters?

Do you care?

Where have you been for the last eight years? Was it bad form for the SC senator to yell 'lie' during Obamas speech - hell yes. Was calling a sitting potus a liar or worse unprecedented behavior? Hell no. W was called a liar and much, much worse by members of congress and the senate. Which I believe is fine and in fact healthy. If our politicians (weak ba*stards that they all may be) find themselves incapable of criticizing the sitting potus then my friend we will be living under a dictatorship. Of course some people (you, perhaps?) would find that fine as long as it is 'your guy' that is the dictator. And that is scary as hell.

As to illegal immigration - how dare you assume that all hispanics are on board with illegal immigration? And anyway, why isn't the democratic party worried about alienating legal immigrants by embracing and excusing and attempting to amnesty illegals? Are you all so desperate for votes? That is my take on it.

Now the question about racism in the republican party. I think there is racism in both - the democrats only hide theirs better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 05:32 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I reject your premise; as I feel that it's extremely condescending to both of these groups. You assume that all Hispanics condone illegal immigration; you assume that all black Americans supports Obama's radical racist ties. It is you sir, who engage in stereotypical bigotry. We as conservatives see the individual; you as a leftist see skin color and groups. Shame on you.

It has nothing to do with condoning illegal immigration, but the demonization of hispanics as a means to an end. As for black Americans who oppose Obama's "racist ties" relatively speaking you could put them in the back seat of a Prius with the Republican elephant and still have room for Sarah Palin's ego.

As for engaging in "stereotypical bigotry", there's little bigotry in understanding the political dynamics of any group of people who when demonized by another will reject such individuals regardless of any shared values on given issues.

Accusing me of bigotry won't change the political realities.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
I am not attempting to take away Obama's victory but to be honest I think a dog could have one. People were no pissed at Bush they would have voted for anyone NOT in the Rep Party. I know 6 people personally that voted for Obama as a sorta FU to Bush. The vast hatred of Bush is what won the election. By the next election Bush will be a distant memory and I think many that fell away from the Repubs will come back.
People were pissed in 2004, Bush still won. I don't buy the argument. Regardless your point has nothing to do with the question at hand.

How can the Republican Party carved together a winning national strategy while demonizing both an African American President and the first hispanic woman Supreme Court Justice?

Old 09-12-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
The Democrats tried to destroy both Clarence Thomas and Alberto Gonzalez yet how many Republicans screamed racism? Could it be that the Republicans actually have more respect for Hispanics and blacks. That they don't try to appeal to their baser instincts like the Democrats do. The Democrats are the true party of condescension
In neither of the cases of Clarence Thomas or Alberto Gonzalez was the criticism tainted by racist remarks or innuendo, which is precisely the point of this thread. As I stated before, I am more than willing for the purpose of this conversation to accept all principle criticisms of Sotomayor and Obama as being correct, having said that, one has to be completely clueless to not recognize that there has been enough, not all, not the majority, but enough criticism delivered that is so heavily laden with racism that only the thickest skinned African American or Hispanic would be able to ignore, as result, their is a growing perception amongst African Americans and many hispanics that the Republican Party is hopelessly lost to it's most racist elements. If that is the case what steps can or should the Republican Party take to ameliorate that perception?

Last edited by ovcatto; 09-12-2009 at 05:46 PM..

Old 09-12-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Obama is already enlarging the republican party.
Considering where you were, the addition of a girl scout troop with be a vast, enlargement.

This is suppose to be a serious conversation.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enraeh View Post
These voters have traditionally been disenfranchised and bamboozled by the the promises of the left. With the election of Obama, they now have a legitimate stake in the political process. Once they begin to see the "trickinology' that democrats use to separate them from their wages they will get conservative, and real quick like.

Despite the left's efforts to marginalize the views of conservatives, black and hispanic voters aren't yours to command.
And it is the zenith of arrogance to think you can.
Keep whistling past the graveyard(your graveyard), you silly fool.
tick tock tick tock 2010 2010

Please address the question.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:00 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,324,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Taxes View Post
There is no way that Obama would have nominated another crusty old white guy, no matter how competent he was.
As a crusty old white guy myself, I would like to remind you and those who share your point of view that I have not always been crusty and old, that neither justice Roberts nor Alito is crusty and old, and that Ms. Sotomayor will someday be both crusty and old, God willing.

And all of us are white.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Where have you been for the last eight years?
Same place that I have been for more than 50 years, why?

Quote:
Was calling a sitting potus a liar or worse unprecedented behavior? Hell no.
Well if you go back to Preston Brooke's attack on Charles Sumner, I guess you would be right, but in recent history for a Congressman to interrupt a Presidential address with a personal accusation of mendacity IS, unprecedented.

The issue at hand for more than a few folks isn't that he called the President a liar, pretty small potatoes, it was the manner, the place and the timing which raised the level of the offense.

Quote:
As to illegal immigration - how dare you assume that all hispanics are on board with illegal immigration?
Can I suggest a class in remedial reading, go back and read my posts.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:20 PM

6,818 posts, read 14,026,504 times
"How can the Republican Party carved together a winning national strategy while demonizing both an African American President and the first hispanic woman Supreme Court Justice?"

This is a very good question that I would be curious to hear an answer. My guess is the far right will say we call it as we see it while the more moderate right will say they are making it harder and harder for us to every win a national election.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:30 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Same place that I have been for more than 50 years, why?

Well if you go back to Preston Brooke's attack on Charles Sumner, I guess you would be right, but in recent history for a Congressman to interrupt a Presidential address with a personal accusation of mendacity IS, unprecedented.

The issue at hand for more than a few folks isn't that he called the President a liar, pretty small potatoes, it was the manner, the place and the timing which raised the level of the offense.

Can I suggest a class in remedial reading, go back and read my posts.
50 years?!!!

I naturally figured you to be a wide eyed impressionable college freshmen, sophomore at best; what with your total inability to think critically. 50, sheesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies