Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 05:06 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Strange isn't it, how tariffs on Chinese goods were not controversial when Obama was in office?
nailed it. the lefts hypocrisy is at an all time high.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:24 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,184 times
So targeted tariff vs essentially threatening and belligerently implementing a trade war. Yet you equate them equally.

Then you ignore the result of the small tariff because it doesn't for your narrative as it wasn't successful.

On top of that you'll still support the current trade war talk.

You folks are deranged.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:27 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
It was stupid then and Trump should learn from Obama's and W's mistakes, but there's no way he'd listen.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:28 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
So one man doing some small action 10 years ago means every liberal supported it?

Old 04-03-2018, 05:33 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,362,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
So targeted tariff vs essentially threatening and belligerently implementing a trade war. Yet you equate them equally.

Then you ignore the result of the small tariff because it doesn't for your narrative as it wasn't successful.

On top of that you'll still support the current trade war talk.
As well its difficult to declare what obama dis

You folks are deranged.
There is no trade war, just Trump critics insisting he is starting one. Obama's was "targeted"? Why isn't Trumps?

Obamas was not entirely unsuccessful. The goal was to reduce Chinese tire imports.

It worked.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
So one man doing some small action 10 years ago means every liberal supported it?
Im sure most liberals then didnt even know about it. Yet all of a sudden you are economic experts.
Where was the OMG its gonna start a trade war this is a horrible idea what an unthinkable action to even consider kind of talk?
Can you show liberals even criticizing it at all in 2009?

Old 04-03-2018, 05:44 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I'm sure bots praised him for it. He (Obama) actually placed tariffs on several thousand products trying to stem Chin's cheating. Too bad he didn't do a damn thing about them stealing intellectual property.

DING DING DING

The progs are showing how their concerns and priorities blow with the wind.

All we can do is point out the hypocrisy.
Look, I totally see the hypocrisy you guys are pointing out with this. Believe me, I get it. But I can't help but point out that this is par for the course for both the Democrat and Republican parties. Anyone can go back a few years and find instances where their party was on one side of an issue at one point, and then totally flipped to the other side of the same issue at another. Both parties are guilty of this. Not just the Democrats.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:58 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,453,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Strange isn't it, how tariffs on Chinese goods were not controversial when Obama was in office?
Tariffs are popular, but they seldom benefit the US workers in a free market. I like the idea myself ... on one level ... we need to tackle trade deficits in some meaningful way. Carefully applied tariffs might work in certain circumstances.

One reason people were aghast at Trump's decision was that we have been down this road before, the affects of tariff wars have been studied for generations, literally.

The only real controversy is how little thought Trump put into this, given what we know from past experience.

Trump likes simple ... simple answers to simple questions. He is overwhelmed easily with complex problems and he blows his stack, making rash decisions against good advice.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:07 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,453,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
Painting with a broad brush, I see.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Tariffs are popular, but they seldom benefit the US workers in a free market. I like the idea myself ... on one level ... we need to tackle trade deficits in some meaningful way. Carefully applied tariffs might work in certain circumstances.

One reason people were aghast at Trump's decision was that we have been down this road before, the affects of tariff wars have been studied for generations, literally.

The only real controversy is how little thought Trump put into this, given what we know from past experience.

Trump likes simple ... simple answers to simple questions. He is overwhelmed easily with complex problems and he blows his stack, making rash decisions against good advice.
I think you would be surprised to see the number of existing tariffs in the US and other countries.
As mentioned, the chicken tax on import pickup trucks is one.
If you see Trump that way I guess all his policies seem foolish.
Did you believe the media when they said Bush went into Iraq without a plan? Or when they said Cheney was at CIA headquarters pulling stuff out of file cabinets and telling George Tenet what to put in the NIE? And said Bush led congress by the nose voting for the war?

I got a real hoot out of all that..

Something like asserting Trump has never read a book.
If thats the scenario in your mind I understand the mindset but its far from reality.
Trump does have a business degree. He is impulsive and egotistic but thats why he isnt likely to screw up.

His legacy is job 1. Thus, the success of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies