Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 02:55 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You're paying hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars a month in medical bills and you're NOT GETTING BETTER. Does it take a tree to fall on you to make you realize that DOCTORS do not make you HEALTHY. How much longer are you going to throw away money on USELESS treatments that only prolong your misery and illness? My GOD why can't people like you understand that you can BE HEALTHY and cured.

I cannot believe that people are so duped that they are willing to suffer their whole lives so that doctors and big pharma can continue to get richer and richer at their expense.

It's mind boggling.

20yrsinBranson
I totally agree with you. So much of the medical treatment and prescription drug industry is a scam. There is a great book called "Our Daily Meds" that exposes so much of the corruption within the system...

Our Daily Meds
How the Pharmaceutical Companies Transformed Themselves into Slick Marketing Machines and Hooked the Nation on Prescription Drugs

This is a book about a great transformation in the prescription drug industry over the last twenty-five years. Once the most successful pharmaceutical companies were those with the brightest scientists searching for cures. Now the most profitable and powerful drugmakers are those with the most creative and aggressive marketers. The drug companies have become marketing machines, selling antidepressants like Paxil, pain pills like Celebrex, and heart medications like Lipitor with the same methods that Coca-Cola uses to sell Sprite and Procter & Gamble uses to sell Tide.

http://www.nextreads.com/display2.as...d=1869975&FC=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 02:58 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Oh.. okay. in otherwords you are advocating that smoeone ELSE pay for someone else's medical care.
TM - the OP WAS NOT ADVOCATING, in any shape, fashion or form ANYTHING.

The OP was however STATING FACT.

May I suggest that you refrain from MISREPRESENTING posts made by others?

Old 09-12-2009, 02:58 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Okay,... spare the attacks people. I'm an advocate of health care reform. I was not ADVOCATING that someone else pay for anyone's medical care. I was simply stating that these programs exist and that in the situation cited by the OP, the ill person may be able to get some help rather than face the medical bills which WILL be coming in.
As for getting better.............. I will not get better...... I have a degenetative nuerological disease. It can be managed but it will NOT be cured.

I was confused as to your position.. as we were simply pointing out to the OP that it's not as black and white as she was trying to point out.

In which case your post (and my subsequent response) illustrates just that.

There are some charitable funds in hospitals. .far and few between. They do exist for "charity" cases (particularly regarding children and diseases).

Then there is medicaid..

I was trying to point out that the argument many make against reform is the same old "why should I pay for someone else's health care"...

what they don't get is that medicaid is FREE health care that everyone pays for accept the people who actually use it.

Health Care reform is about building a system of health care in which EVERYONE (with acception of the poor) pay into the system to get out of the system

So. .. in a way you illustrated my point. Only alternatives are FREE medicaid provided by teh government IF you qualify or far and few between charity..

All of which are FREE forms of healthcare reform opponents use as an arguement against socialized medicine.

Sorry to hear about your condition.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I cannot believe that people are so duped that they are willing to suffer their whole lives so that doctors and big pharma can continue to get richer and richer at their expense.
Are you suggesting that people STOP going to Doctors and STOP taking medications?

Old 09-12-2009, 03:03 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
You're paying hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars a month in medical bills and you're NOT GETTING BETTER. Does it take a tree to fall on you to make you realize that DOCTORS do not make you HEALTHY. How much longer are you going to throw away money on USELESS treatments that only prolong your misery and illness? My GOD why can't people like you understand that you can BE HEALTHY and cured.

It's mind boggling.

20yrsinBranson
That's very easy, and I have to say cruel and thoughtless, for you to say. Hope you dont ever get a serious disease.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:10 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times
Most hospitals have a "health care subsidy fund" for those in the most dire of need. If you have little to no income (as in the case of the example in the opening post), there is paperwork that can be filed to help subsidize your medicle care.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:12 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
My daughter called last night to say she was rushing my sister's husband to the hospital. He had some kind of nuclear test yesterday and the doctor called last night and told my sister to get the guy to the emergency room. He has a badly damaged heart. He has no insurance! Why did he have a doctor? What was he doing having a test done? Why did the doctor tell him to go to the hospital? Those who want UHC claim he will not be treated because he has NO INSURANCE. He is still in the hospital! The doctor, the hospital and everyone else knows he has no insurance. He won't work. He is in his mid 50's so is not eligible for medicare. My sister only gets about $300 a month for SS. This just can't be!!
Please show some kind of proof that everybody or anybody that wants UHC ever said that people wouldn't get health care if they didn't have insurance.....one person said that? Two?

Old 09-12-2009, 03:14 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,011,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
TM - the OP WAS NOT ADVOCATING, in any shape, fashion or form ANYTHING.

The OP was however STATING FACT.

May I suggest that you refrain from MISREPRESENTING posts made by others?

How is suggesting that they then apply or anyone that can't pay for their medicines then apply for medicaid NOT advocating someone rely on medicaid to pay said bills

She clarified what she was saying.. but she was telling that person and anyone else in that situation.. as she said in a later post.. that there are other methods if /when you can't afford to pay your medical bills. They were hospital charity and apply for FREE MEDICAID ala the government.. or taxpayers money..or others paying for your medical treatment.

THESE .. as you are well aware.. are NOT an adequate answer to the original problem.

THis uninsured person will now have insurmountable medical bills to which they will never recover, never be able to pay and which will leave others paying for it by either default or application of said FREE government benefits.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:17 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Okay,... spare the attacks people. I'm an advocate of health care reform. I was not ADVOCATING that someone else pay for anyone's medical care. I was simply stating that these programs exist and that in the situation cited by the OP, the ill person may be able to get some help rather than face the medical bills which WILL be coming in.
As for getting better.............. I will not get better...... I have a degenetative nuerological disease. It can be managed but it will NOT be cured.
That is not true. You are listening to the lies of the medical community and you are believing them. It is not true. As long as you are ALIVE your body has the power to heal itself 100 percent. From ANY disease including cancer, MS. IT DOES NOT MATTER.

Unless you make the effort to find out how to do it, he will die. But not after he has sunk THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS into the medical machine.

I am not attacking anyone. I am PASSIONATE about saving lives that would otherwise die because they listen to what their doctors tell them, and believe it.

It is my MISSION to tell as many people as possible that there is hope and they can be healed.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-12-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
How is suggesting that they then apply or anyone that can't pay for their medicines then apply for medicaid NOT advocating someone rely on medicaid to pay said bills
Just because one states a fact DOES NOT equate to that person agreeing with the fact.

I have defended clients of crimes - it does not equate to me being convinced of their innocence

If I said to you, "the speed limit in Arizona is 75 MPH", does that automatically mean that I agree with the speed limit?

No, it does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies