Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 04:18 PM

192 posts, read 219,847 times

Advertisements

A few questions for liberals, can you please answer them?

What percentage of a person's income would you say is the MAXIMUM they should ever pay in taxes, regardless of what they make? Like, the point where you would say "Okay, even I think the taxes are too high".

Are there things you would not support taxes on? If so, what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 04:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyholiday View Post

What percentage of a person's income would you say is the MAXIMUM they should ever pay in taxes, regardless of what they make? Like, the point where you would say "Okay, even I think the taxes are too high".

It depends on what all my taxes were paying for.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:51 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
Quote:

Percentage?
I'm not sure. I'm for a flat tax.

What taxes don't I support?
I do not support the inheritance tax

Old 09-12-2009, 05:10 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,965 times
Quote:

This isn't really a good question because few people know what percentage of their income they are paying in taxes to start with. If you want to know, get out your tax return and find the gross income. It's in about the middle of the first page of the 1040. If you have any income that isn't on the tax return or included in the gross income -- tax free interest, untaxed portion of Social Security,etc -- add that in. Then go to page two of the 1040 and find the total tax. It's just above the middle of the page. Divide the total tax by the gross income (or your total income). That's the percentage of your income that goes for federal income taxes.

Income tax tables rates are for taxable income, not gross income. Taxable income is adjusted gross income (bottom of first page of your 1040) less the deductions and exemptions. Oh, and don't over look the credits that take away some of that tax due.

Last edited by Sagran; 09-12-2009 at 05:58 PM..

Old 09-12-2009, 06:02 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Quote:

If you believe in a progressive tax rate which is one tax policy that liberals "believe" in, it's more than a bit silly to ask someone propose a maximum tax rate without knowing both the income of those being taxed and more importantly the amount of revenues needed in order to pay for budgetary requirements. To do otherwise is just a fools project.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:08 PM

Well I have heard some liberals say 90% income tax on the wealthy and 60% on the middle class to help support those who are poor. I thought they were insane when they said that. It's hard to give a number, because to liberals anyone making more than a few thousand a year owes everything to the government and is greedy and selfish for not giving it up.

I'm dead serious. The people at my grandparents UU Church are the most far left wing people I have ever met, most of them support income taxes as high as 60% for the middle class, 90% for the upper middle and upper classes ALONG with $4 a gallon tax on gasoline and a 20% VAT.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:11 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,246 times
Quote:

Individual 25%
Corporate 50%

I have no problem returning to 1950-70 levels.
Money was no issue, even for a couple of wars then.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:13 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,965 times
Quote:
Well I have heard some liberals say 90% income tax on the wealthy and 60% on the middle class to help support those who are poor.
Who said that? You heard a real live person say that or you heard that someone said it?

Quote:
I thought they were insane when they said that. It's hard to give a number, because to liberals anyone making more than a few thousand a year owes everything to the government and is greedy and selfish for not giving it up.
Don't make comments like that. It makes you look ignorant as hell.

Quote:
I'm dead serious. The people at my grandparents UU Church are the most far left wing people I have ever met, most of them support income taxes as high as 60% for the middle class, 90% for the upper middle and upper classes ALONG with $4 a gallon tax on gasoline and a 20% VAT.
This is just one couple you're talking about? They strike me as a bit clueless.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:17 PM

My grandparents UU Church is about 200 of the most far left wing people I have ever actually met face to face. I consider all liberals to fall under the same umbrella.

And yes, I have heard it straight from their lips, 90% income tax for the upper middle and upper classes. 60% for the middle class. PLUS all of those other taxes. They always compare the US to Europe, like most liberals do. They talk about how Europeans are so willing to pay taxes without complaint. How they have so much free stuff there, yadda yadda.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:21 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,843,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Who said that? You heard a real live person say that or you heard that someone said it?

Don't make comments like that. It makes you look ignorant as hell.

This is just one couple you're talking about? They strike me as a bit clueless.
Dont watch the video in moveon.org Obama rally you just might hear a female say she would be fine with 60% taxes long as she gets free healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies