Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 12:11 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times

Advertisements

A private business establishment has the right to ban children if they so desired. As a single person, I would have no issues with patronizing your establishment if you offered a product or service that I wish to use. When the day comes for me to have children, I may be less inclined to patronize your establishment because then I will need to search for businesses that are child-friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 12:18 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,822,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Since this said "Controversies", I thought this might go well here. If not, please feel free to move it.

How would you feel if there were local businesses (not only sex-based, but things like shops, restaurants, etc that were small and privately owned) where children simply werent allowed?

Would you patronize such places, or avoid them? Why?

Ive been toying with this idea for a while now.
Sure, why not, obviously it would depend on the demographic of the area, on how succesful the business would be,but anyone should be able to cater to or refuse whom ever they want. I would very much frequent any establishment that did not allow baggy pants, piercings or hats on cockeyed.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:22 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
A private business establishment has the right to ban children if they so desired. As a single person, I would have no issues with patronizing your establishment if you offered a product or service that I wish to use. When the day comes for me to have children, I may be less inclined to patronize your establishment because then I will need to search for businesses that are child-friendly.
Even for a nice date-night out with your S/O??

Old 09-13-2009, 12:25 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Even for a nice date-night out with your S/O??
I stated "less inclined" not that I would never patronize your establishment. If it were a nice restaurant and I wanted to get away with my husband, I just may opt to visit your restaurant if the food's good. I just don't know how often we would be able to get away so as a family, we would be more focused on locating family-friendly restaurants where kids are accepted.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:30 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,869 times
Quote:
Since this said "Controversies", I thought this might go well here. If not, please feel free to move it.

How would you feel if there were local businesses (not only sex-based, but things like shops, restaurants, etc that were small and privately owned) where children simply werent allowed?

I agree with all of the others... I wouldn't stay away because of the no-children policy. I thought one of the other poster's idea of doing it certain nights, may Friday and Saturday, was a good idea.

Good luck!

Old 09-13-2009, 05:39 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:

Restaurants fitting this criteria already exist. But they don't have an outright ban on kids - or at least not that I've seen but instead ban them by default. They do it by simply not making the restaurant friendly to typical kids or average families. For example, the price per plate is so high that it makes taking the family out, including all of the kids, expensive. Other ways that restaurants 'discourage' kids is the absence of a 'kid-sized/priced meal' menu, requiring a dress code, and having a menu with food kids generally do not like.

Regarding other types of businesses, if the business sells products that are sufficiently of no interest to kids, then by default they, too, 'ban' kids. The first thing that comes to mind would be an art gallery.

Would I patronize such a place? Sure...why not. I don't have kids so I don't care.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:43 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Quote:

Well, there are already resorts in Mexico that are adult-only & let me tell you, when I get a chance I will be going there.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:44 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Yes! I'd totally go there. Are you also excluding adults who act like children?!

Old 09-13-2009, 08:11 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes! I'd totally go there. Are you also excluding adults who act like children?!

If it was MY restaurant, maybe. Im just toying with this idea...Ive always hated it when a nice meal is ruined by a screaming toddler or infant, so it got the gears in my head grinding a bit.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:21 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,412,481 times
In this poor economy a restaurant owner would not be wise to limit any potential customers by any criteria....dress code, children, so on and so forth. If a customer is willing to support your establishment take the money and be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies