Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 07:24 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No I'm not confused, apparently, since you basically just reiterated what I said... I may not have worded it quite right, but I said the same things! I am still a little fuzzy on the Arab distinction, but I am well aware of the differences between religion and nationality - considering I am a Jewish-Polish-Ukrainian-American myself. But since I also identify as an Agnostic Jew, how do you explain that??
You fit precisely in category #2.

What's fuzzy about "the Arab distinction?" Arabs are at the core an ethnic group. Though the definition has broadened over time, it refers to descendants of the tribes that inhabited the Arabian Peninsula. Most Iranians come from a different ethnic group. There are physical differences that one can see between a classic Arab and a classic Persian, though intermarriage over the years has blurred many distinctions. As I said very analogous to the distinction we in the US have often applied to people we call Mexican or Hispanic, though many time that person and his family are native born citizens of the United States. There no significant difference, but there are superficial physical and cultural differences.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
The jews are an example to all races in the world. Although, they have been hammered many times, they have changed and evolved to be in the top of almost everything, especially in business.
Jews have been expelled from every civilized nation they've lived in at one point or another. That's not a great example for others to follow. For 2,000 years Jews didn't have their own homeland or country either.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuntherM View Post
Jews have been expelled from every civilized nation they've lived in at one point or another. That's not a great example for others to follow. For 2,000 years Jews didn't have their own homeland or country either.
United States?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:53 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuntherM View Post
Civilized? Just how was Muslim Spain (where Jews were very successful for 800 years) any less civilized than reconquista Catholic Spain in which the country was plunged back into the Dark Ages, lost most of the medicine and science the Muslims had introduced, and proceeded to kill off numerous members of their own countrymen through the Inquisition?

Old 12-30-2008, 04:59 PM

769 posts, read 2,232,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Perhaps you could read a little of that history yourself. "The Jews," you say, as though the handful of gangsters who made up Murder Incorporated typified the entire community. If I changed the word "Jew" to "Italian" and made a reference to Al Capone, would you have had a problem with that, or would you be willing to acknowledge that Al Capone hardly represented the majority of Italian-Americans?
I have read history. I wasn't talking about a few mob bosses I was also talking about the petty teen gangs who roamed the streets and fought with other ethnic-based teen gangs. I wasn't thinking about mob bosses at all.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:12 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,198,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
You fit precisely in category #2.

What's fuzzy about "the Arab distinction?" Arabs are at the core an ethnic group. Though the definition has broadened over time, it refers to descendants of the tribes that inhabited the Arabian Peninsula. Most Iranians come from a different ethnic group. There are physical differences that one can see between a classic Arab and a classic Persian, though intermarriage over the years has blurred many distinctions. As I said very analogous to the distinction we in the US have often applied to people we call Mexican or Hispanic, though many time that person and his family are native born citizens of the United States. There no significant difference, but there are superficial physical and cultural differences.
The difference is that Persians speak Farsi which is an Indo-European language. Arabic is a semitic language.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
The difference is that Persians speak Farsi which is an Indo-European language. Arabic is a semitic language.
As I said, the term "Jew" encompases many ethnic groups -- Black, Germanic, Iberina, Arab, etc. Go back and read my original definition.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:48 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,646 times
One group of people or individuals hoarding, controlling and manipulating the economic, political or social wealth of a nation is not a good thing.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
One group of people or individuals hoarding, controlling and manipulating the economic, political or social wealth of a nation is not a good thing.
You mean white people?

Old 12-31-2008, 12:18 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Your implication is so far off base that it might as well be coming from another planet. (To say nothing of the fact that you couldn't be more wrong!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies