Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 08:43 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'm not Jewish. Most Gentiles wouldn't have given a rat's a$$ about what this guy had to say, but I proceeded to have lunch with him and defer the discussion I was about to have with a co-worker who had just picked me up at the airport rather than give him the "hey, man, we're talking shop here."

Maybe you need to consider how many places I've lived (including overseas), the number of languages I speak, and the breadth of my education. When it's appropriate for threads that ask these questions, I will discuss these things. That I need to get out more is kind of funny. Why's that? Because I'm not a student of Judaism. It doesn't interest me.
If it doesn't interest you, why are you discussing it here? There are thousands of threads to chat on, so you obviously had some interest in the Jewish-related debates. And maybe you have traveled and "gotten out" a lot, but obviously you still lack knowledge about certain cultural groups... that's your prerogative, but then don't be surprised when we catch you off-guard!

Old 12-28-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Of course he said that- he's a Rabbi! If that's learning something new for you, then you really need to get out more.

Most Jews are relatively secular. It's due mostly to education. More educated people tend to question and tend toward agnostic/atheist/deist beliefs. Since Jewish culture emphasizes education above all else, it's an obvious trend. I personally go to services because I find them relaxing and linked in with my culture, but I do not believe.
Perfect explanation. Our culture definitely stresses education, and naturally a group that is well-educated will question beliefs... but that doesn't mean we can't retain the cultural heritage of Judaism. Our culture goes SO much deeper than the Torah and G-d, so it is natural to hang on despite being Agnostic/Atheist in belief.

I feel a sense of peace and belonging when I'm at Synagogue, and nobody will convince me to give that up simply because I question G-d... my Rabbis welcome questioners, which is why I belong to a Reform Temple rather than Orthodox/Chasidic.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
what i still cant swallow is why is their friction with the arabs when there are arab jews and ? and why do people not consider nor tell people

when people say arab-jewish conflict does that make sense? NO both are semitic if not one..

so what % of jews are not really jews then? those of who from eastern europe, western europe, americas
Arab and Jew are completely separate beliefs, no matter where you originate from. Case in point, I was talking with a cab driver last week (on the way home from the airport), and he said he was from Iran... I asked if he was Persian, and he responded rather sternly "NO, I am Arab." There are also Christian Iranians/Iraqis, Christian Israelis, Muslim Israelis, Arab Americans, and so on and so forth. It's rather complicated, but the terms Jewish and Arab are technically about beliefs/blood rather than nationality. I think you might be confusing Israeli with Jewish, and Arab with Muslim.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:12 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,033 times
Being from the Northeast and living in area with more Jewish ppl then any other outside of Isreal and South Florida I will give my prospective.

Like most other religions you have plenty of non-religious Jews HOWEVER they don't like to marry ppl who are not Jewish. They like to be with their own.

A lot of the Jews I know are not Israeli, but rather originate from Eastern EU but they make sre they visit Isreal on a consistent basis. There is a reason that no matter who is president we never, ever stop supporting Isreal.

I also think another part of their sucssess is that they take care of each other and have tight knit communities. They make sure their own get the best jobs.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:03 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Arab and Jew are completely separate beliefs, no matter where you originate from. Case in point, I was talking with a cab driver last week (on the way home from the airport), and he said he was from Iran... I asked if he was Persian, and he responded rather sternly "NO, I am Arab." There are also Christian Iranians/Iraqis, Christian Israelis, Muslim Israelis, Arab Americans, and so on and so forth. It's rather complicated, but the terms Jewish and Arab are technically about beliefs/blood rather than nationality. I think you might be confusing Israeli with Jewish, and Arab with Muslim.
You are realy confused. Let me try to straighten some things out:

1. Arab is a cultural/racial group independent of religion. Persians and Arabs are as different as Mexicans and "Americans."

2. Jew is a religious designation. Though there are many secular Jews, all secular Jew descend from people who practiced the Jewish religion. There are many different ethnic/racial groups that practice the Jewish religion.

3. Israeli, Iranian, Iraqi are designations of people from specific countries they may be Arab, Persian, Caucasian and of any religion.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:32 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Well that cab driver must have been an Arab born in Iran. Most Irainians I've come across here in Los Angeles would be VERY insulted if you can them an Arab.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:59 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Various studies have estimated that scores on IQ tests by people of Ashkenazi descent are nearly one standard deviation above the mean, which would have significant effects on performance in various fields of endeavor requiring higher-level thought:

Ashkenazi intelligence

Old 12-29-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Various studies have estimated that scores on IQ tests by people of Ashkenazi descent are nearly one standard deviation above the mean, which would have significant effects on performance in various fields of endeavor requiring higher-level thought:

[LEFT]Ashkenazi[/LEFT] intelligence
"Nearly one standard deviation" means insignificantly different from zero. Further if you compare German Jews with non-Jewish Germans the difference erodes even further. There are a wealth of methodological problems with these types of studies, and in the end what do you have? Pretty much a "so what."

Old 12-29-2008, 01:42 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Quote:
"Nearly one standard deviation" means insignificantly different from zero.
On an IQ test normalized to 100, it would mean the difference between a score of 100 and a score of 115. That's substantial. If you look at the number of Ashkenazi Nobel laureates, for example, it seems clear that Ashkenazi individuals are overrepresented at the far high end of the bell curve. I don't think there any use in denying this - to the contrary, I think it's very interesting, and it can provide some insights into the nature of cognition.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
On an IQ test normalized to 100, it would mean the difference between a score of 100 and a score of 115. That's substantial. If you look at the number of Ashkenazi Nobel laureates, for example, it seems clear that Ashkenazi individuals are overrepresented at the far high end of the bell curve. I don't think there any use in denying this - to the contrary, I think it's very interesting, and it can provide some insights into the nature of cognition.
In statistics any difference of less that 1 SD is considered insignificant. It means there is no discernible difference between the IQs of the different populations. I'm not denying it, I'm saying your statistical "proof" fails on its face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies