Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 06:42 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
News Flash:

Kanye West IS a JACKASS..........

Exactly and the first truly truthful words to come out of Obama's mouth imo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 06:57 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,485 times
Quote:
News Flash:

Now that's a fact I think everybody can agree with.
(well maybe not everybody).

Old 09-16-2009, 07:23 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Think if Bush had said that they would have apologized??
yes.

any news agency whose reporter publicly repeated something said off the record would apologize to whoever's words were repeated.

as the article says, the white house had nothing to say about this incident. it's not really something that hurts obama; the vast majority of people who have an issue with what he said are people who dislike him anyway. abc proactively apologized because this was a breach of journalistic ethics and they want to protect their reputation.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:40 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
News Flash:

And is the guy actively working to be a stereotype or what? Runs down the aisle with an open bottle of Hennessey in his hand. Good Lord.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:44 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
By not saying a lot...AZ Bear, I already repped you for this one, but I wanted to say 'thanks' on here as well---especially for that last line!

Folks need to realize that people like Mr West do NOT represent the opinions and attitudes of the majority of the black race...period, end of story
Many of us do, don't worry.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:13 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
So what.

Must be a slow "I hate Obama" news day if that's the best you can do.

Stocks were up again.

Recession "Likely Over" as retail improves.

GM boosting output.

Online trading surges
Can you stick to one topic without injecting your own agenda into it?

Old 09-16-2009, 08:42 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
very few even knew who obama was when he made that ridiculous comment about bush during the katrina fundraiser.

Some would consider it NOT presidential for the POTUS to dance at inauguration, some would say it isn't POTUS like to eat at 5 Guys, some would say that it isn't POTUS like to smoke cigarettes, some do say that it isn't POTUS like to have sexual activities in the Oval Office. I could go on and on.

My point is that obama stood up and said something! And while I am not a huge fan of his (or any politician) that is a much larger step than most in today's political world. Had he not said anything, then chances are you and others would have found fault in that. It is time for not only POTUS but each of us to stand UP!!!

ETA:
I wanted to say that I think it is great that obama is putting a message out there that the doesn't tolerate what west did and dayum sure isn't going to encourage or coddle it.
I'm hopping in late, sorry.

Pres. Obama called it like he saw it -- like many of us saw it. This is not a partisan issue. Sheesh! I didn't vote for our President, might not agree with his views, but he spoke honestly about what he thought of a man who basically destroyed an irreplaceable FIRST moment for a young musical artist.

Kanye West behaved like a jackass and President Obama only said what many of us thought. You don't have to be a particular color or political persuasion to express that.

Our President's mixed race places him in a position which will allow his message to get through to people who would never have listened to an old, white man. Perhaps some of KW's young, impressionable fans will think twice before idolizing someone of that ilk. I believe Obama's legacy will be the number of young, minority children who decide to better themselves through education -- not the street and rap like Kanye and his fellow 'performers'.

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 09-16-2009 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-16-2009, 09:53 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
journalistic integrity demands that they apologize - off the record comments being private is like rule #1 of journalism. it was an insignificant comment, but the principle is the same. people need to know that when they are speaking off the record to a journalist from abc, it will stay private.
Exactly. That has been a time honored duty of the press since like forever. I am sure that with the wars, crappy economy and unemployment, racial issues being thrown about and the proposed healthcare debate that the POTUS has an extremely stressful job! Can't the press allow him ANY privacy with all of that going on? Big lipped white boy moran needs to be fired.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:59 AM

752 posts, read 1,462,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
And I shouted out "You lie!" during a Presidential speech to Congress but if an outrageous comment is made by me in the forest/livingroom when no media is present to hear it, is there sound?

Ummmm. I don't really see any challenges coming from anyone except maybe Kanye's mother on the "jackass" comment. Now, if the President was Bush...
if the president was Bush we probably would have already sent troops to West Kenya...

Old 09-16-2009, 10:17 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Everybody knows that it isn't "off the record" if you are in a room with 20 journalist 2 min. for the start of the press conference...Journalist do what they have to do and all mikes were ready for the start...also the journalists already started a few questions and nobody, incl Obama stated that his answer was "off the record"! Specially a president should know that he is watched better than anybody else.

If a journalist would have been on the phone with Obama and clearly would have been stated that he was giving remarks "off the record", that would be a different story, but not with 20 journalist in a room.

I heard the complete tape and Obama started really presidential stating that Kaney behavior was very improper and it wasn't done what he did to a 17 yr old girl, taking away her moment! Obama should have stopped there and than....although I agree that Kanye is a Jacka$$, it wasn't presidential, but it wasn't a crime either!

Too bad that Dem. can't say the same about Joe Wilson who clearly did something disrespectful and appologized to Obama and Pelosi. There was no reason to appologize to the House!

Harry reid never appologized for calling Bush a lyer and the rest of the things he called Bush!

I'm very happy that Joe Wilson collected so much money for his campaign and he was right, the loophole was taken out days later, so Joe Wilson contributed with his remark to close the loophole!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies