Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 03:28 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,947,583 times

Advertisements

Something I recall from youth. Before Reagan's term ended, there was a point were my school never had another air raid drill. Am not sure if youth today would identify the siren...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 03:52 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Air raid drills during Reagan's Administration? Where?
Maybe during Eisenhower's and Kennedy's.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:59 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Yeah! They taught us how to 'hide' under our desks, sure to protect us from the nukes those pesky Russkies were likely to start tossing any minute

Old 09-15-2009, 04:22 AM

37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
Something I recall from youth. After Reagan, I never had another air raid drill. Am not sure if youth today would identify the siren...
I know the sound of a warning siren. I hear one tested once a month...but I'm not young and I don't have to get under my desk like they had us do in the early 60s, late 50s. Good thing. Besides it being futile in a real attack or "accident," I don't think I could get up after a test, nowadays.

Do you think the drills you had when you were younger would save lives? Do you think they would have worked back when you were a kid now that you think back on them?

They expect us to drive to a school in the next town if there's an "accident." Like that would work. Do you think if you lived in that next town, you'd just hang around town waiting for the neighboring town people to show up at the high school? Does the bad air stop at the town line? And what would that high school be like after a few days? The Super Dome in New Orleans? And shelter in place? If my neighbor smokes a cigarette or cooks cabbage, I can smell it in my apartment and I'm supposed to think duct taping doors and windows is a magic fix for some kind of "poison" in the air?

I don't even have a really safe place to go to when I get a non-siren "take shelter immediately" tornado warning (have had 3 in two years) as I live in an apartment complex (no basement) in suburbia.

They had fire drills in the World Trade Center. How'd that work out for them when someone told them to go back to their offices or they ignored the alarm?

Old 09-15-2009, 04:28 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

They had fire drills in the World Trade Center. How'd that work out for them when someone told them to go back to their offices or they ignored the alarm?
Actually quite well. I believe everyone who worked below the impact point that worked in the building survived. There might have been a few casualties, but for the most part the fire drills and evacuation drills at WTC were a huge success.

You think almost 3000 people is bad, you have no idea the number of people who actually made it out of those buildings.

Drills are a good thing, when they make sense. There was no use for the old nuclear war drills, thats why we don't do them anymore. They were designed to give people a sense of security during an uncertain period of human history. I think people of my generation have a hard time understanding just how close we came to nuclear war.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:40 AM

37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Actually quite well. I believe everyone who worked below the impact point that worked in the building survived. There might have been a few casualties, but for the most part the fire drills and evacuation drills at WTC were a huge success. .
In the one building, people who could have survived were told to return to their offices.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:18 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
In the one building, people who could have survived were told to return to their offices.
Most of the people got out due to drills. I believe I heard the story about the people told to go back to their office. Those below the impact did get out eventually, when they realized it wasn't a drill.

Those above the impact were screwed, it didn't matter what they were told, they were all going to die.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:15 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,986,699 times
I was born in '63 and graduated in '81. I had never heard an air raid siren until I moved to Michigan in '89. They call them tornado sirens and they are tested once a month during the milder weather. I have never heard any go off any time other than 1:00 PM on the first Saturday of the month when they test them. Reagan had nothing to do with it.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't think even Kennedy, Eisesnhower, yes, there were still some, but not many even then.

NIta

Old 09-15-2009, 02:23 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
I was taught to duck under my desk and we had air raids (that is what they were called - and they used the Civil Defense System which is now long defunct). The last time I recall having an air raid was in 1961, I believe, or whenever the Bay of Pigs incident occurred. At that time, they had us all so frightened that we were gonna get nuked - folks were building bomb shelters. I was sure we were all gonna die - so much so that back then, jets still caused sonic booms, and we kids would get hysterical if we heard a sonic boom, thinking the Russians were dropping bombs.

I don't think anyone ever held an air raid after 1961 or 1962. And there surely were none during Reagan's administration, lol!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies