Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:50 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
b and p.
This is clearly some kind of organizational ethos not the actions of some renegade employee. There were two employees at that table.

A few renegade employee's? Giving ANYONE a free pass on criminal behavior is the reason that it continues. I don't know if the Executives go out with the mindset to defraud, do you? What I do know is, they are not handling their business by ensuring they are hiring those who will not. NOW if it is proven that they indeed hire with the explicit purpose of defrauding, then they deserve EXACTLY what they get. I have NO sympathy for ANYONE who knowingly commit a crime, no matter WHO directs them to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Yeah being sarcastic lets not sit here and act like msnbc is really covering acorn. I was just on msnbc web site and wow NOTHING about acorn on the front page. A group that the president of this country once worked with very closely , getting out federal dollars and its NOT on the front page of msnbc. yet you wanna sit here and say they are seriously covering this

MSNBC does have on the front page how the IRaqie that threw a shoe at Bush on the front page talking about he would do it again. NOTHING about acorn though.

Yes please keep trying to tell us how much msnbc is covering this

All of the news organizations have covered this story, but I guess since its not used as a EXPOSE' for Faux news, I guess it wouldn't be enough for you guys. Considering ALL that is going on in this country the fact that this is TOP on only news your looking for is really telling. It should be news yes, but not the ONLY NEWS.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:58 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Oz, I wouldn't say i'm concerned I'm PISSED...Pissed because the intention of this program was to educate the Low to middle income folks in the community. These are the VERY same people that are employed by ACORN who bytch gripe and moan about their inability to get ahead, being held back not given a chance.
I'm PISSED because others who could benefit not only from a employment standpoint but from an educational standpoint as well are being penalized because of those who thought of SELF. I'm PISSED because these are folks from my own community that shyt away ANY opportunity that others have from benefiting from this program.

Again I say DAMN politics, ACORN was not only into "voter registration", but there were other aspects of ACORN that helped the low to middle income communities. So i wouldn't say i'm concerned i'm PISSED.
You're absolutely correct about that. ACORN preys on the very population it claims to champion. I know you're probably not a Glenn Beck fan, but he did have two former ACORN workers on his show several months ago, they were whistle blowers, and they basically had the same concerns you do. They were upset that the organization was taking advantage of its own people and contintually recruiting victims. These were good people who got tired of the corruption and were hoping to have their voice heard, because honestly, no one else was listening. And Glenn Beck gave them that forum.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
You're absolutely correct about that. ACORN preys on the very population it claims to champion. I know you're probably not a Glenn Beck fan, but he did have two former ACORN workers on his show several months ago, they were whistle blowers, and they basically had the same concerns you do. They were upset that the organization was taking advantage of its own people and contintually recruiting victims. These were good people who got tired of the corruption and were hoping to have their voice heard, because honestly, no one else was listening. And Glenn Beck gave them that forum.

Prey, these are adults. Thats like saying a bank hires someone from the poorest section of town to set them up to steal from the till. I'm sorry I don't buy it. Again, i'm not giving the executives a pass, what I'm saying is, these are adults who should have common freakin sense. No one put a gun to their head, they weren't brain washed. Typically Beck and others allike would be the first one's to claim that Blacks make excuses, it seems in this instance, their giving them the free pass to do so. Well I don't and Never do.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:18 PM

184 posts, read 511,282 times
4th video is on the way... this time the ACORN employee is a former hooker!

Almost all news outlets have covered it NOW, it is impossible not to seeing as how it has resulted in 4 firings, the Census bureau cutting ties, and the Senate voting to cut their funding. But this story broke last Thursday and until Saturday when the Census news came out, Fox was the only one to give it a reasonable amount of coverage. I think it was CNN that was the other network that covered it. MSNBC, ABC, NY Times, nothing. They had 2 days to look into it, the full videos and audio tapes along with transcripts were available to them, yet they ignored it. They probably never would have brought it up had it not been for the news that the Census bureau cut ties with them.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:32 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
[SIZE=5]Amazing: Times Still Almost Totally Ignores ACORN Scandals[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Scandals involving child prostitution results in ACORN losing its partnership agreement with the Census Bureau and the Senate cutting off access to federal housing funds. Yet Times reporters have failed to file a single ACORN scandal story for the paper's print edition.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Posted by: Clay Waters
9/15/2009 11:04:06 AM [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Looking for news on the Obama administration these days? Look anywhere but the mainstream media, including the pages of the New York Times. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]One may have thought it impossible for the nation's largest and most influential newspaper to virtually ignore the scandals involving the left-wing housing activist group The Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, more notoriously known as ACORN. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]One would be wrong.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]A brief rundown of ACORN's scroll of shame: A hidden camera sting, set up by conservative activist James O'Keefe[/SIZE][SIZE=3] of the website Big Government, showed ACORN workers in three separate offices (Baltimore, Washington, and the Times backyard of Brooklyn) giving out tax advice on child prostitution and human trafficking. Then the Census Bureau dropped its partnership agreement with ACORN for the 2010 collection effort. Finally, and most noteworthy from a national perspective, the U.S. Senate voted 83-7 to deny the group access to federal housing funds. Yet finding Times coverage of the controversies is like finding an individual acorn in a forest.[/SIZE]
The Saturday Times made do with a brief Associated Press story on the Census effort, buried in the very middle of page A12: "Census Bureau Drops Acorn From 2010 Effort." James Taranto noted at Opinion [SIZE=3]Journal that the dispatch made no mention of the hidden-camera sting -- the Times cut that part out of the original AP filing.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]After a prominent post on Monday evening's Drudge Report marked the U.S. Senate voting 83-7 to deny the group access to federal housing funds, the Times covered it -- barely. A Monday evening [/SIZE][SIZE=3]posting by Bernie Becker on the paper's "Caucus" blog also devoted a couple of whitewashed sentences to the sting, leaving out the child prostitution angle entirely. (The commenters to the story are not impressed with the Times' journalistic thoroughness.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The Senate voted on Monday to forbid Acorn, the antipoverty group frequently criticized by conservatives, from receiving federal housing grants from the Department of Housing and Urban Development.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The vote is the latest jolt of bad news for the group, formally known as the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now. The Census Bureau told Acorn last week that it no longer wanted the group’s assistance for the 2010 census, while a hidden camera recently caught Acorn employees giving tax advice to people who said they wanted to run a brothel....More recently, Acorn employees in Washington, Baltimore and Brooklyn were caught on tape giving tax pointers and other advice to conservatives posing as a pimps and prostitutes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]ACORN didn't make the Tuesday print edition at all -- not exactly great incentive for any future reporter tempted to cover a liberal scandal.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]After showing how the Times and other media outlets have virtually ignored scandals driven by conservative advocacy media folks, involving ACORN, the Van Jones controversy, and the politicization of the National Endowment for the Arts, Taranto at Opinion Journal concluded:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]To be sure, Glenn Beck and Andrew Breitbart are advocacy journalists with distinct points of view. But the supposedly impartial mainstream media also claim to have an "adversary" relationship with the government. That they have left this field to a few upstarts suggests that they have a point of view, too -- one that is, in the age of Obama, far more compliant than adversarial. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]See how generously the group is described on the Times' topic [/SIZE][SIZE=3]<A href="http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/a/acorn/index.html?scp=" 1-spot&sq='acorn&st=cse"' ?>[SIZE=3]Acorn has emerged in recent years as the largest neighborhood-based antipoverty group in the country, using old-fashioned methods of door-knocking and noisy protests to push for local and national causes.... The expansion of Acorn, whose formal name is the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, is part of a broader surge in populist organizing around the country centered on issues like housing, wages, gentrification, environmental disputes and immigrant rights.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]That affection spills over into the news coverage. During the 2008 presidential campaign, the Times protected (http://www.timeswatch.org/articles/2009/20090519105043.aspx - broken link)[/SIZE][SIZE=3]ACORN (http://www.timeswatch.org/articles/2009/20090519105043.aspx - broken link)against accusations about illegal collusion between it and the Obama campaign. A February 18, 2009 (http://www.timeswatch.org/articles/2009/20090218133655.aspx - broken link)Metro section story portrayed [/SIZE][SIZE=3]ACORN as a bottom-up citizens group conducting a new civil rights “resistance movement” against unfair foreclosures, with no ideological labels. And in March, a "bus tour" protest of the homes of AIG executives in Connecticut led by an ACORN front group (a fact not mentioned in the Times) garnered a full story (http://www.timeswatch.org/articles/2009/20090323132052.aspx - broken link)in the paper, although it numbered a grand total of 40 people.[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 09-15-2009, 03:35 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Gee...where's 60 minutes known for using a unique style of reporter-centered investigation...

ACORN Story Grows But Mainstream Media Refuse to Cover It - FOXNews.com
Does this really surprise you? It's amazing the Obama's can get any sleep with all the mainstream media they have in bed with them!

True journalism in this country is pretty much dead.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:37 PM

136 posts, read 107,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Maybe FAUX news should stop enciting. The story on ACORN and the tapes have been reported since last Friday by all of the news channels. Maybe if you broaden the clicker on your remote you would know that.
Maybe you should broaden the clicker on your remote?

Old 09-15-2009, 03:56 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,839,572 times
The 4th tape is out. They are in San Bernadino. The woman in the tape killed her husband and is not afraid to talk about it. Sen. Barabra Boxer is one of her friends or a person that uses her service according to the woman in the tape.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:00 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
The 4th tape is out. They are in San Bernadino. The woman in the tape killed her husband and is not afraid to talk about it. Sen. Barabra Boxer is one of her friends or a person that uses her service according to the woman in the tape.
LOL.....this is hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies