Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 09:02 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times

Advertisements

I'm going to boycott high grocery prices by delaying our grocery shopping from Friday to Saturday. Then I'm going to go in 5 times and make the bag boy bag for me 5 seperate times, rather than just once. They'll have to process all his breaks to keep him from getting tired, costing them lots of money. Just wait til Kroger feels the sting of that!

I'm also going to boycott Hollywood by waiting until Sunday to see Fantastic Four, instead of going Saturday. I'll bet prices of popcorn will drop $1 in 12 hours from the excess popcorn that I won't be buying on Saturday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 04:44 PM

543 posts, read 1,228,041 times
Default need explanation!

Someone, (you know who you are) gave me a bad rep for posting to this thread by saying that I should have read all the posts before I wrote anything! Let me tell you something, I started this thread last night and today it has anothers name as starting it. So I am trying to figure out how this happened. Anyone have any idea?
I was just asking if anyone was going to boycott! No big deal. That was very uncalled for in my opinion!
Do you give everyone a bad rep for answering a thread before reading it? You need to remove it! And is this not a forum of opinions, after all? Freedom of speech, and all that?

Old 05-15-2007, 05:10 PM

340 posts, read 744,945 times
I will be filling up today then, NO LINES !!!!!

This boycott thing is one of the stupidist I have ever heard of... If everyone lowers their consumption, then you may see some change, but not buying fuel on a certain day does absolutely nothing...

P.S. Don't lower your consumption too much, I won't be working as much overtime and will have to cut back my fishing trips in my gas guzzling 200 HP Bass Boat !!!

Old 05-15-2007, 05:43 PM

362 posts, read 1,345,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridanative2 View Post
Someone, (you know who you are) gave me a bad rep for posting to this thread by saying that I should have read all the posts before I wrote anything! Let me tell you something, I started this thread last night and today it has anothers name as starting it. So I am trying to figure out how this happened. Anyone have any idea?
I was just asking if anyone was going to boycott! No big deal. That was very uncalled for in my opinion!
Do you give everyone a bad rep for answering a thread before reading it? You need to remove it! And is this not a forum of opinions, after all? Freedom of speech, and all that?
Huh? You couldn't possibly have started this thread last night, because I remember reading it and responding to it last week. In fact, go to the first page of the thread...you'll see that jeweloflight is the op. (How could you be the op, when your first post on this thread was on page 5?) Anyway, the op (jeweloflight) was immediately told by various posters that the "boycott" is a well-known hoax and wouldn't work. Maybe a moderator combined the two threads because they are about the same subject, and because you were bound to get the exact same myth-debunking responses that jeweloflight received?

Old 05-15-2007, 06:44 PM

543 posts, read 1,228,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOYAS View Post
Huh? You couldn't possibly have started this thread last night, because I remember reading it and responding to it last week. In fact, go to the first page of the thread...you'll see that jeweloflight is the op. (How could you be the op, when your first post on this thread was on page 5?) Anyway, the op (jeweloflight) was immediately told by various posters that the "boycott" is a well-known hoax and wouldn't work. Maybe a moderator combined the two threads because they are about the same subject, and because you were bound to get the exact same myth-debunking responses that jeweloflight received?
That makes sense. I thought I was going crazy because I know I started it last night! Weird!

Old 05-15-2007, 08:56 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
Well I stopped at a rest area gas station on the Massachusetts Turnpike today to fill up. All 22 lanes were full and there was a queue of cars waiting for service. I don't think anyone observed the boycott (hoax or not).

Old 05-16-2007, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibelle View Post
I am American living in England for the time being. I'm sorry, but Americans don't know how good they really have it. You think $3.00 a gallon sucks.... try paying $8.00 a gallon here in England. People here mostly drive smaller, more gas efficient cars. Maybe us Americans should try trading in our huge gas guzzling SUV's for something smaller, and more environmentally friendly. That would be a great start.
so lets buy smaller more efficient cars makes it right. pay $8.00 a gallon instead of $4.oo right.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:46 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
There's plenty of domestic oil to meet our needs, but it's more profitable to import oil which is cheaper than pumping and refining our own. I think that demand in the US needs to stop and eventually go down so we can have more leverage with supplies. Let's not commute so much, or travel so far and save some fuel. Lets use coal as a fuel instead of gasoline. Lets generate all of our electricity by not burning any fossil fuels, we have nuclear, wind, water, solar, etc. Get rid of the envoronmental beaurocracy and use common sense. Expect oil prices to rise every year as long as demand rises, it's how capatalism SHOULD work! Stop blaming the oil companies for something most Americans would do and have done with a commodity like real estate.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:21 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,883 times
Default Got my doubts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
There's plenty of domestic oil to meet our needs, but it's more profitable to import oil which is cheaper than pumping and refining our own. I think that demand in the US needs to stop and eventually go down so we can have more leverage with supplies. Let's not commute so much, or travel so far and save some fuel. Lets use coal as a fuel instead of gasoline. Lets generate all of our electricity by not burning any fossil fuels, we have nuclear, wind, water, solar, etc. Get rid of the envoronmental beaurocracy and use common sense. Expect oil prices to rise every year as long as demand rises, it's how capatalism SHOULD work! Stop blaming the oil companies for something most Americans would do and have done with a commodity like real estate.
Didn't U.S. oil production peak in the early 70s? From what I hear, the U.S. falls short of its daily needs of 20 million barrels by something like 50 to 60 percent. I have my skepticism about finding domestic sources of over 10 million barrels a day -- twice China's daily consumption.

Though nuclear is "clean" from an emissions standpoint, it's not clean in terms of thermal pollution and waste. As such, it does not belong in the same realm as solar and wind.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:35 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,101,365 times
Quick hi Cre8

I want to chime in here if I can and give my opinion. The next car my husband and I are going to buy is a hybrid car. Gas prices are not the reason why. We are retired and we don't commute that much anyways. The reason is because I am sick and tired of buying gas from terrorist countries and I am concerned about pollution. I am all for getting our country off our addiction to oil. I understand this is not going to happen overnight but one step at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies