Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:38 PM

612 posts, read 2,778,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Scranton- I normally enjoy your posts' but this is out-of-line. I drive a gas-guzzling GMC Yukon and I'm proud of it. I HATE it when somebody tells me that I shouldn't be driving a big SUV because it's contributing to the gas prices, the pollution, etc etc. I DON'T CARE! I LIKE my Denali and I'd never trade it for a small compact.

Maybe some people NEED an SUV to haul their family around (Momof2DFW) or need it to take clients to different homes (me). It's my choice what to drive and I chose to drive a big SUV.

I love my Navigator too! Whose business is it how much I want to pay to drive it around?

I guess I should give up my career as a <<<gasp>>> house flipper too and really set the economy on it's ear!!

Actually I will try the boycott, what'll it hurt to try?

PS No one in my family is fat and we proudly live in the 'burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 08:58 PM

653 posts, read 3,408,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsnkali View Post
Why would we protest high gas prices when we are surrounded by giant gas-swilling SUV's and monster pickup trucks driven by fellow Americans?

Petroleum is just like any other commodity. Supply and demand.

The Middle East oil states and Venezuela certainly appreciate our waste.

Is it any wonder that Toyota has now just passed up GM in sales?
Talk about "Hitting The Nail On The Head"!!!! We have identified the enemy--and IT IS US. When will EVERYONE wake up to this fact. We are spoiled as a nation and the 'Wake Up Call" is upon us!!!

Old 05-03-2007, 09:09 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Why don't we start by asking the citizens who drive Hummers, Suburbans, Navigators, Escalades, Land Rovers, etc. if they appreciate the fact that they're hurting the pocketbooks of struggling college students who drive fuel-efficient vehicles by driving up demand! RAWR! Seriously, the only excuses I've heard from those people in their purchase decisions have been:

1.) "It's a free country, and I'll do what I want." Well, in that case, why don't you contribute your FAIR SHARE towards the rising gas prices by helping to pay for the sharp increase caused by YOUR excessive demands? If everyone who owned an SUV turned around and bought a Prius, just think about how much less our demand would be and how much cleaner our air would be from the reduction of carbon dioxide emissions!

2.) "I NEED a Hummer because I have a large family to cart around." Did you ever consider moving to an in-town neighborhood (NOT a suburban cul-de-sac) where your children could WALK their fat, lazy rear-ends to school, parks, friends' houses, churches, businesses, etc.?

3.) "Hummers are safer." Show me!

On that note, I'm going to head out for a run in a minute or two to once again hack up a lung from the excessive levels of CO2 emissions in my neighborhood.
Took the words straight out of my head.

Supply and demand. If we all used fuel more efficiently, the prices would come down. Why can't we get out of that 60s – 10 MPG -- mentality about gasoline usage? Protest to the hilt on the 15th. Do the feel-good thing. Ain't gonna' make a shred of difference until we dump our fuel-hog cars. Time to evolve.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:22 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Scranton- I normally enjoy your posts' but this is out-of-line. I drive a gas-guzzling GMC Yukon and I'm proud of it. I HATE it when somebody tells me that I shouldn't be driving a big SUV because it's contributing to the gas prices, the pollution, etc etc. I DON'T CARE! I LIKE my Denali and I'd never trade it for a small compact.

Maybe some people NEED an SUV to haul their family around (Momof2DFW) or need it to take clients to different homes (me). It's my choice what to drive and I chose to drive a big SUV.
It wasn't my purpose to offend, but when you're a college student struggling paycheck to paycheck for 40 hours per week, it's frustrating to realize that no matter how hard you try to ease off the accelerator, keep your tires properly inflated, properly time yourself to synchronize your driving with traffic lights, etc., gas prices will still continue to soar up to $4/gallon due to the fact that my compact car is dwarfed at every intersection by SUVs that net 12 miles per gallon! Real wages in this nation aren't climbing nearly quickly enough to keep up with inflation, and I think we're going to be seeing some SERIOUS issues soon in terms of people just becoming fed up with the price gouging and revolting, including myself!

If you want to keep driving your Denali around, is there any solution you could offer to people like me who are TRYING to make a difference but are hitting a brick wall at every corner due to being told that my wallet is being slammed harder and harder due to "increased demand?" Peak gas prices were $3.40/gallon here last year, and I'm worried we'll see prices here hitting $4/gallon soon! Our area doesn't have mass transit, so that's not an option, and we're VERY sprawled out, so walking/biking isn't an option either. What are we supposed to do? I refuse to just continue to grin and bear this simply because other people "like SUVs." If you "like" them, then fine; help those of us who are struggling with our compact cars to make up for the sharply rising prices caused by those who do not drive fuel-efficient vehicles. Why should I have to pay a high price for others to be comfortable?

Old 05-03-2007, 09:27 PM

612 posts, read 2,778,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
It wasn't my purpose to offend, but when you're a college student struggling paycheck to paycheck for 40 hours per week, it's frustrating to realize that no matter how hard you try to ease off the accelerator, keep your tires properly inflated, properly time yourself to synchronize your driving with traffic lights, etc., gas prices will still continue to soar up to $4/gallon due to the fact that my compact car is dwarfed at every intersection by SUVs that net 12 miles per gallon! Real wages in this nation aren't climbing nearly quickly enough to keep up with inflation, and I think we're going to be seeing some SERIOUS issues soon in terms of people just becoming fed up with the price gouging and revolting, including myself!

If you want to keep driving your Denali around, is there any solution you could offer to people like me who are TRYING to make a difference but are hitting a brick wall at every corner due to being told that my wallet is being slammed harder and harder due to "increased demand?" Peak gas prices were $3.40/gallon here last year, and I'm worried we'll see prices here hitting $4/gallon soon! Our area doesn't have mass transit, so that's not an option, and we're VERY sprawled out, so walking/biking isn't an option either. What are we supposed to do? I refuse to just continue to grin and bear this simply because other people "like SUVs." If you "like" them, then fine; help those of us who are struggling with our compact cars to make up for the sharply rising prices caused by those who do not drive fuel-efficient vehicles. Why should I have to pay a high price for others to be comfortable?
I think we all probably had a rough time in college, me included, now it's time to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Maybe a lot of people are in your position where they can't live in the city and walk their 'fat, lazy butts' (hope I remember what you said correctly) around. If you are touting that for others, maybe you should live it yourself.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:27 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
I wasn't really offended just a bit ticked. However I think many share your setiment and steps will have to be taken if and when gas prices hit $4 and up. I can understand your frustration.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:44 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,719 times
I agree with you SWB,I see people driving these big gas hogs and they are by themselves what a waste.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:58 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Some people need to learn how to walk.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:09 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,900,436 times
Food prices are going up too. Everyone should move to a farm and grow their own food. Oh, and stop eating. If everyone dies, then there will be no need for food! Then, we can use all the corn for ethanol ....

I'm soooooooo smart! Who do you know it? I drive a PRIUS and voted for Howard Dean.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:14 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
I drive a gas-guzzling GMC Yukon and I'm proud of it. I HATE it when somebody tells me that I shouldn't be driving a big SUV because it's contributing to the gas prices, the pollution, etc etc. I DON'T CARE!
How do we even begin to have a meaningful discussion with sentiments like these? Or maybe you're just being facetious. That's gotta' be it. You can't possibly be that self-centered. It's a joke, right?

Last edited by Winston Smith; 05-03-2007 at 10:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies