Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2007, 08:06 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
How about we shut down the trucking industry also !!!!!
$$$$$$

Then we'd be without convenient accessibility to everyday necessities such as *toilet paper , which would be worse than having to actually drive our two kiddies to soccer practice in something a little more modest (see my sister). Or, God forbid, walk three blocks someplace.

I cracked up at all the Hummers I saw in one beach town down in Florida. Pretty rough terrain down there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 08:09 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,527,800 times
I saw it for $3.09 today somewhere in town [Toledo] but yesterday the cheapest I saw it was $3.16. What is it where you are?

Old 05-06-2007, 08:22 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
Regular is $2.97 her in northeast Pa.
Picking on the truckers....everyone loves to pick on the truckers. My husband is a trucker and you would be surprised at how many things they get blamed for...but that's another thread!
My husband and I make around $70,000 a yr and with 3 cars, 2 with loans, and a teenage driver and the long distances we have to work, we spend 2 out of 4 weeks of his pay on cars, gas, and insurance. THAT IS INSANE.
This is the main reason why our house is for sale right now, so we can all be closer to where we work.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:27 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
But then food prices and everything else will skyrocket! It's a vicious cycle that we're caught in. I can't believe that in California they're at $3.50 per gallon! Where is the government to step in when you need them? I remember the day when I griped that gas went above $1.10! Oh to have those days back...guess it will never be though.
Only kidding,just trying to make a point. Did the government do anything a year ago ? Why was gasoline down $1 a gallon last winter ? Now 4 months later it's up almost that same $1. Greed. $$$$$$$$
Some places are very close to $4 a gallon.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:59 PM

97 posts, read 646,571 times
The oil company does not care if they get your money on the 15th or the 16th they still get it one way or another.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:00 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Cool Not a good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
How about we shut down the trucking industry also !!!!!
They get 6 miles to a gallon on a good day.
It's not so much supply and demand as, greed $$$$$$
Sit back and think about it Bones. If you shut down the trucking industry the whole country would be in a world of hurt. All warehouses in the country are only set up for 3 days of supply holdings. that means, that you had better start hording all your goodies now if we shut down. Oh, and by the way. The road that you drive on everday, was built by the trucking industry. How do you think they get all the materials needed to the asphalt or concrete plants and from the plants to the sites were they're building the roads, UH TRUCKS . Or would you rather ride a horse every day, no roads needed there.

Don't blame the price of feul on the trucking industery, when its the oil companies doing. Exxon made the gross profit of 2.9 Billion on the last quarter when they said that production was down again. And you can blame it on the polititions for not going after them to force them to drop feul prices like they said they would. This God forsaken war is doing a lot of harm to us all. We seem to be more focused on other countries problems instead dealing with whats happening inside our own borders.

Sorry all, it's time for me to get off my soapbox . Just had to vent.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:08 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Sit back and think about it Bones. If you shut down the trucking industry the whole country would be in a world of hurt. All warehouses in the country are only set up for 3 days of supply holdings. that means, that you had better start hording all your goodies now if we shut down. Oh, and by the way. The road that you drive on everday, was built by the trucking industry. How do you think they get all the materials needed to the asphalt or concrete plants and from the plants to the sites were they're building the roads, UH TRUCKS . Or would you rather ride a horse every day, no roads needed there.

Don't blame the price of feul on the trucking industery, when its the oil companies doing. Exxon made the gross profit of 2.9 Billion on the last quarter when they said that production was down again. And you can blame it on the polititions for not going after them to force them to drop feul prices like they said they would. This God forsaken war is doing a lot of harm to us all. We seem to be more focused on other countries problems instead dealing with whats happening inside our own borders.

Sorry all, it's time for me to get off my soapbox . Just had to vent.
Easy,Easy I was only kidding in refference to gas guzzlers. SUV's are NOT the biggest problem !!!!!

Old 05-06-2007, 10:14 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Cool No Prob Bob

But I do think the main problem is polititions. They sit back making big bucks off our taxes and do nothing, while we the real tax payers have to carry the whole load. When I say "REAL TAX PAYERS" I mean, all who work our butts off day in and day out. Not the lazy welfare riders and the illegal immigrants that spit their babies out on our soil and the stupid polititions say that we the tax payers have to pay for it . I just needed to vent, "again". Thanks

Old 05-06-2007, 10:55 PM

746 posts, read 1,324,016 times
The original boycott morphed into a boycott of Exxon/Mobil as they are the world's largest private oil company, and have a poor record of paying their debts and cleaning up after their accidents.

http://www.exxposeexxon.com/whyexxon.html

http://www.ucsusa.org/news/press_rel...g-tobacco.html

Old 05-07-2007, 01:04 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
I can't and won't complain about the big rigs and their gas guzzling engines. Up here, 90% of everything is brought in from the outside. Without the trucks and barges and planes bringing in that stuff, we'd have to revert to subsistence again. It's possible, but what a hassle. I'm not like Rance. I live in a big city, and we can't all plant in our little one acre plots. There's only 1700 moose in Anchorage and splitting that among a quarter million folks makes for about a mouthful apiece. Nope. Not gonna cut it. It costs more to live here, but I'll put up with it. And the diesel guzzling 18 wheelers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies