Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2013, 01:31 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

African Americans struggle with blackness too. All black sub groups in the Americas do.

That's just the way it is when you live in a white dominated society that constructed these nations the way that the Europeans did.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:49 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Wow. I'm hearing a whole bunch of excuses blaming racism between minorities on European whites.

Well thank god for that because here I thought we were all human beings but it's nice to know there is a "master race" out there made up of darker skinned folk that are immune to be idiots....it's only the whites that do things like this after all.

This is just sad.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:55 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
African Americans struggle with blackness too. All black sub groups in the Americas do.

That's just the way it is when you live in a white dominated society that constructed these nations the way that the Europeans did.
I like to think it's more of a human condition. Remember that b*stard Rockwell that headed the American Nazi party back in the 1970's. He was killed by a former Nazi over just how racially pure the guy was.

Ethnic issues predate colonialism throughout the world.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I like to think it's more of a human condition. Remember that b*stard Rockwell that headed the American Nazi party back in the 1970's. He was kIlled by a former Nazi over just how racially pure the guy was.

Ethnic issues predate colonialism throughout the world.
Yeah, but blackness isn't an "ethnic" issue. Blacks in the Americas don't know what their ethnicity is. We only know what our race is.

Feeling good about being black isn't an easy trick to pull off in this part of the world. It's not about blaming the white man, I'm just speaking the truth.

I mean, I can't imagine NOT being black nor do I want to. Besides, I don't struggle at all with blackness. But I can understand why many people do. Especially in Latin America where there's never been a Martin Luther King or a "black is beautiful" movement.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:08 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, but blackness isn't an "ethnic" issue. Blacks in the Americas don't know what their ethnicity is. We only know what our race is.

Feeling good about being black isn't an easy trick to pull off in this part of the world. It's not about blaming the white man, I'm just speaking the truth.

I mean, I can't imagine NOT being black nor do I want to. Besides, I don't struggle at all with blackness. But I can understand why many people do. Especially in Latin America where there's never been a Martin Luther King or a "black is beautiful" movement.
Not so true in 2013: most American Blacks of "slave family history" going by their DNA came from Ghana and a few other places. Many things are coming out with DNA tests and it's making some people real sad like some white supremacists with THEIR "Black" genes. LOL

Old 10-27-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Not so true in 2013: most American Blacks of "slave family history" going by their DNA came from Ghana and a few other places. Many things are coming out with DNA tests and it's making some people real sad like some white supremacists with THEIR "Black" genes. LOL
Well how many blacks are gonna go out and get a DNA test? I mean, regardless of the results, we still have to live HERE, not in Africa.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:14 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Many have what I would call mixed features. Yes, most have some bearing of African features. But what you posted is simply not your "average Dominican"...sorry. In my whole extended family, that example is the extreme minority...and they are not whute hispanic.

Ok...so if you recognize pride. Why are you struggling with the fact these people want to be sure Miss McKoy is indeed a Latina? Or am I missing what cultural pride is about? Is it just saying you are "X" nationality with pride and partying with them?

Can I say I am Black and Proud? I am certain I can find somebody black down my tree if given the resources....I'm not a pasty white boy.

EDIT: And I'm not conflicted. My wife IS considered black. But you try and tell her that. You and her may have skin color in common...but it might just end there. And I have no "hatred of Black Americans"...I hate society in general. But I hate much of the culture "Black America" has adopted. I guess I hate Blacks as much as Farrakhan.
Well you do realize that Farrakhan is 100% West Indian. His father is a Jamaican immigrant and his mother is a St. Lucian immigrant. He is not African American or Black American. Also he has mixed ancestry. IJS.

And Farrakhan does NOT represent Black America or African American culture or what true positive African American-ness is and represents.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:23 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Completely agree with the bold. I suppose my concern is that after living in the states for years, there must be some toll taken on the body. So it is important that good care is available if and when needed.

You are so right about opportunity and Western medicine though. More than anything though, I would like my parents to be content in their old age. Quality of life for the elderly in the states isn't always the best. So if they find somewhere else where they are very comfortable and happy, it's best that they go...

I know the DR has a significant European expat community. Do you know where most are from? Never met any Hungarians? Either way, your children have a nice cultural mix.

Have to get to El Cibao...
San Pedro De Macoris is also a nice area to visit and for certain beaches and resorts etc. Lots of good food etc. Carnivals and celebrations and feasts are also good.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:32 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
San Pedro De Macoris is also a nice area to visit and for certain beaches and resorts etc. Lots of good food etc. Carnivals and celebrations and feasts are also good.
There is a building, a meeting hall, in San Pedro de Macoris, still standing, that was erected by followers of Marcus Garvey's UNIA almost a century ago.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
There is a building, a meeting hall, in San Pedro de Macoris, still standing, that was erected by followers of Marcus Garvey's UNIA almost a century ago.
Wow. I gotta look that up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies