Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 07:03 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post

To me it's more about whether or not that person's African ancestory is acknowledged in whatever Latin American country. This is why I kinda like the term Afro-Latino when dealing with "Black Latinos" instead of just the Black label. Because again different countries view race differently and many Latin countries have people coming in various mixtures. So the term Afro-Latino at least acknowledges a person's African mixture.
I think this is about right. Although you will have to convince some people on this board about this Latino =/= only Mexican (or Mexican looking) thing.

I do have to say that in America, consanguinity> culture. The racism among Latinos underscores that fact for sure.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:11 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas123 View Post
Other Latinos show their racism ALOT when it comes to Dominicans. When my Mexican aunt by marriage told her estranged father that she was marrying a Dominican, the first thing he asked was "Es negrito?"- "Is he black?" It was beyond insane to see the look of relief on this mans face when he feared to see a "Negrito" and saw a tall, pale, green eyed man instead. TRULY, if my family looked black the way many Dominicans do, there is NO WAY we would have been accepted by the Latino community in TX the way we have. I dont believe it for a minute. I've seen Mexican girls make a face when I mention I'm Dominican-one time a Mexican girl even said "Arent they n******?". Insane. Many Puertoricans and Cubans will regularly snub Dominicans, and speak of how much more Euro blood they have (just peruse the NY or Miami boards on this website) and therefore "better." I know a black Cuban guy who was almost shot in Southern California by a Mexican gangbanger and the only thing that saved him was speaking in fluent spanish-and even then he got called the Spanish version of the n word. I find it insane when some Latinos complain about racism when they dish it out equally.
I have been there. Oh yeah. When I lived in LA I was in some hairy situations. Your entire post was very interesting and illuminating.

Quote:
-I was completely unaware of the self-taught hate among Dominicans. There is alot of denial of African roots among Dominicans, no doubt. But at the same, people will try to do a "gotcha" if someone tries to identify as Dominican but not black. Believe it or not, there are non black Dominicans, though they are a minority. Some people are actually telling you how they have to identify in this country. If I identified as black, I would have some people look at me really weird, trust me on that. I wish I didnt have to identify as anything, but thats not how this country works.
Yes, only about 15-20 percent of Dominicans are truly non-black. Unfortunately, anyone with African ancestry (here in USA) cannot be white, and you who have some African ancestry are finding things tough for you in the good ol' USA.......

Old 09-15-2009, 08:55 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,905 times
Dominican's find out quickly how black they are...after they hear the "N" word thrown their way a couple of times.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:47 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
To me it's more about whether or not that person's African ancestory is acknowledged in whatever Latin American country. This is why I kinda like the term Afro-Latino when dealing with "Black Latinos" instead of just the Black label. Because again different countries view race differently and many Latin countries have people coming in various mixtures. So the term Afro-Latino at least acknowledges a person's African mixture.
Ok, but why are they called "Afro-Latino" if they are a mixture? Why is it that they are automatically "Afro" is they have a drop of African blood, or some prominant African features? Lets say they are 50% African descent, and 50% European. Why, exactly, couldnt they be called "Spanish-Latino" or "Euro-Latino" or "White-Latino" for the exact same reason another would call them "Afro-Latino"?

Old 09-16-2009, 11:06 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
^
To me Afro-Latino can be about that person's culture along with their racial mixture. Breaking it down. Afro is short for African decendant and Latino is about the Latin derived language they speak such as Spanish or Portuguese and also the European Spanish and Portuguese blood they may have. Together you have Afro-Latino relating to that person's African and European mixtures. In other words a mullato Cuban who practices Santeria,speaks Yoruba and also speaks spanish and practices other customs from Spain would to me be an Afro-Latino. That term covers all of that person's heritages regardless of their physcial looks. This is why I view Afro-Latino as being a broader term than just Black. The term Black seems to be more subjective in various countries.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
^
To me Afro-Latino can be about that person's culture along with their racial mixture. Breaking it down. Afro is short for African decendant and Latino is about the Latin derived language they speak such as Spanish or Portuguese and also the European Spanish and Portuguese blood they may have. Together you have Afro-Latino relating to that person's African and European mixtures. In other words a mullato Cuban who practices Santeria,speaks Yoruba and also speaks spanish and practices other customs from Spain would to me be an Afro-Latino. That term covers all of that person's heritages regardless of their physcial looks. This is why I view Afro-Latino as being a broader term than just Black. The term Black seems to be more subjective in various countries.

So what you are saying is that in your opinion, Latinos, are either "Latinos" (meaning primarily European or European looking) or "Afro-Latinos" (meaning they have some African, or enough to have prominant African features), correct?

Old 09-16-2009, 01:58 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
So what you are saying is that in your opinion, Latinos, are either "Latinos" (meaning primarily European or European looking) or "Afro-Latinos" (meaning they have some African, or enough to have prominant African features), correct?
Well there are many people in Latin America of Indian and Mestizo mixtures and Asian. But since we're talking more about "Black" Latinos I find the term Afro Latino to be broader than just Black since like I mentioned that term touches on both culture and racial background.

Going back to you're first question:

Quote:
Lets say they are 50% African descent, and 50% European. Why, exactly, couldnt they be called "Spanish-Latino" or "Euro-Latino" or "White-Latino" for the exact same reason another would call them "Afro-Latino"?
Referring to a mullato Latino as Spanish-Latino or Euro-Latino doesn't touch on their African/Black heritage as much as Afro-Latino does which touches on the African,European and I forgot to add the Indian mixture since that is a part of Latin America. I will admit that with so many people throughout Latin America being of many mixtures I don't know if one term even like Afro-Latino is enough to statisfy everyone. But again I find the term to be broader than just Black.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:

I was not asked this question.................

To me, however, Latinos are any Latin American person regardless of race. White, black, indigenous, mestizo, mulatto, zambo, no te entiendo, Chinese, Arab, Jewish, Japanese, Rapa Nui, etc. Anyone.

Afro-Latinos are those of obvious or known African ancestry.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
I was not asked this question.................

To me, however, Latinos are any Latin American person regardless of race. White, black, indigenous, mestizo, mulatto, zambo, no te entiendo, Chinese, Arab, Jewish, Japanese, Rapa Nui, etc. Anyone.

Afro-Latinos are those of obvious or known African ancestry.
Ok, so would you call a white latino, a "White-Latino"? Or would you only specify when it comes to a latino with obvious African ancestry.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Ok, so would you call a white latino, a "White-Latino"? Or would you only specify when it comes to a latino with obvious African ancestry.

I would only do so when referring to topics that specifically involve race. I myself identify as African Latino, but that is my preference.

I also know many Latin people who do refer to themselves specifically as white or white Latino. Whether they are actually white is another question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies