Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 06:15 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,780,337 times

Advertisements

Liberal extremists have been fighting law-abiding Americans' right to own and carry guns for decades. And they have been losing.

Now the Supreme Court will take the case of Chicago's ban on handguns - a case nearly identical to the DC v. Heller case, except that DC was a federal entity (not in a state) while Chicago is a city within a state. In the Heller case, the Supreme Court ruled that DC's ban on handguns and other weapons, violated the 2nd amendment. They also stated definitively that the 2nd amendment did not protect only military weapons, or weapons used by military or militia groups, but instead protected private individuals' weapons too.

Chicago's law banning handguns affects only people who obey laws, of course. Criminals still freely carry them everywhere... and use them with increasing frequency against the (now disarmed) law-abiding populace.

The expected ruling against the gun ban, will start to make it a little more likely that they guy about to break into a home, will face a weapon rather than just someone on hold to 911. And crooks who want to preserve their hides (which is nearly all of them) will hopefully keep this in mind, and just maybe modify their plans accordingly.

Not all homes will have weapons, of course. But some will... and the crook has no way of knowing if the house he is about to break into, is one of them.

Little by little, liberal hysteria over law-abiding citizens owning their own guns, is being defeated.

Keep up the good work, Supremes!

----------------------------------------------------------

News Headlines - Ban handguns? Supreme Court taking a new look : Townhall.com (http://townhall.com/news/politics-elections/2009/09/30/ban_handguns_supreme_court_taking_a_new_look - broken link)

Ban handguns? Supreme Court taking a new look

by MARK SHERMAN
Wednesday, September 30, 2009
High Court to Look at Chicago Gun Law

The Supreme Court says it will take up a challenge to Chicago's ban on handguns, opening the way for a ruling that could set off a vigorous new campaign to roll back state and local gun controls across the nation. Victory for gun-rights proponents in the Chicago case is considered likely, even by supporters of gun control, in the latest battle in the nation's long and often bitter dispute over the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms.

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 06:28 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,750 times

Marksman84 and his Glock 17 proudly support the 2nd Amendment and despise any liberal fascism that contradicts the U.S. Constitution.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post

and despise any liberal fascism that contradicts the U.S. Constitution.
That's a full-time job!

Old 09-30-2009, 06:44 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
That's a full-time job!

LMAO! You're dead on! I'm going to a Tea Party Rally here near STL on Friday, do you mind if I use your great (and oh so true) quip, my friend?

Old 09-30-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
LMAO! You're dead on! I'm going to a Tea Party Rally here near STL on Friday, do you mind if I use your great (and oh so true) quip, my friend?
Please do! No accredation necessary. Just make it a BIG sign!

Alternate suggestions:

"What part of SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED don't you understand?"

"The Constitution isn't perfect, but it's better than the system we're using now"

"Guns cause crime like matches cause arson"

Old 09-30-2009, 07:04 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,278,844 times
This has the potential to be a big victory for personal rights and freedom. Of course, it doesn't look like they will hear it until early next year.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:09 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,763,461 times
The law will probably be struck down. i would be shocked if it wasnt.

I hope it does get struck down.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:58 AM

266 posts, read 706,308 times
i hope they over turn it. i may be moving to chicago and id feel nakid w/o my gun.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdave2 View Post
i hope they over turn it. i may be moving to chicago and id feel nakid w/o my gun.
Even if they don't, would you rather be judged by twelve or carried by six?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies