Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 06:53 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,180,602 times

Advertisements

Lol.

What are those doctors going to do instead? Flip burgers? There isnt exactly room for 10's of thousands of medical doctors to filter in to similiar paying careers in the US economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 06:55 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,180,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3est21 View Post
Why not invest in training more doctors?

Lord knows how hard it is to become a doctor. No, I'm not suggesting making exams and classes more "lax" but I know it is not uncommon for medical students to not get a residency for years. If the government really wants to improve healthcare, there should be an effort to properly train more doctors.

Maybe dropping the cost of med school might help out.....

Old 09-16-2009, 06:58 AM

30,023 posts, read 18,596,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Investors.com - 45% Of Doctors Would Consider Quitting If Congress Passes Health Care Overhaul

So much for the phony rhetoric that doctors are on his side. Geez, how many more lies is the man going to be caught telling?

I think that many docs say that, but in actuallity, they would not. Most need to work and are not trained to do anything but medicine. Those from age 55 up, who can probably retire, probably would do so. The rest would stick it out, as they have to have a source of income.

I personally would just work full time at the VA, and am already considering do so at this time. So I think there would be large "shifts" in practices, but the total manpower supply would not go down by that amount. We have a very large multi-specialty clinic. The CEO did a face to face poll of every doc regarding this issue. 9% said that they would quit; ironically, that 9% was the oldest members of our group and are working for fun at this time.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:45 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,944,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
One of our customers has a son that has been going to medical school for years. He has decided to sit this year out because of obamacare. He does not want to put more money into his medical education when he will choose a different career if hussein obama is able to shove this nightmare down America's throat.
Medical school is typically an expensive 4 year course taken after receiving a Bachelor's degree. This kid has been going to medical school for years and is now going to drop out (in his last year?) because of proposed legislation that may or may not pass that introduces a new insurance option? I suspect dad is covering for other reasons - son can't hack it, or doesn't have the grades. I wish him well repaying his college loans.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:14 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,984,998 times
Quote:
Investors.com - 45% Of Doctors Would Consider Quitting If Congress Passes Health Care Overhaul

So much for the phony rhetoric that doctors are on his side. Geez, how many more lies is the man going to be caught telling?
Funny,

63% of Doctors favor Public Option.

An additional 10% favor Single Payer- New England Journal Of Medicine poll- not some for profit malarkey.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:29 AM

124 posts, read 270,087 times
Quote:

GREAT!! If they're in it for reasons other than it was thier calling to take care of the sick, I wouldn't want to go to their office anyway.

He didn't say every doctor in the country was on his side. By your own #'s over half of the doctors in America agree.

And yeah right, they're going to quick work. Something they've trained years for to do what?

Old 09-16-2009, 08:40 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,336,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I had forgotten all about this until now-

16 years ago my OB had a McDonald's job application posted on the wall and the joke was that he was so fed up with insurance regulations that he was going to quit and work for McDonald's. What is it with docs and McDonald's?!

McDonald's gives them a lot of customers needing treatment
You want that supersized, young man......
....hack hack thud.
Doctor!!!

Old 09-16-2009, 08:09 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
One of our customers has a son that has been going to medical school for years. He has decided to sit this year out because of obamacare. He does not want to put more money into his medical education when he will choose a different career if hussein obama is able to shove this nightmare down America's throat.
This kid is nuts! What's he going to do? He can't get licensed as anything in the health care professions w/o fininshing a course of study. What a dope.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:08 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,396,009 times
Why would 45% of doctor's give up their livelihood? It is not a government takeover. It is a change to the health insurance industry that would add a public insurance option.[/quote]

Simple. Doctors did not go to medical school to have a government panel tell them how to cost effectively treat their patients. They went to medical school to help patients.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:10 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,396,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Lol.

What are those doctors going to do instead? Flip burgers? There isnt exactly room for 10's of thousands of medical doctors to filter in to similiar paying careers in the US economy.
LOL! Many doctors have seen this coming and have invested money in other businesses outside of health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies