Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 09:41 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
It's a very high cost for poor people whose primary expenditure is food and energy.
If they're that poor, they're being subsidized.
Maybe if we had been caring for the environment all along, we wouldn't be in this fix.
I guess you'd rather choke on bad air?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 09:44 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Maybe if we had been caring for the environment all along, we wouldn't be in this fix.
Many of the provisions benefit corporations and do not necessarily limit the real problem of pollution, such as mercury in the water or dirty diesel. It's focused on CO2 which is far less convincing as a problem. It's more about control. Asking as to whether I would rather breathe dirty air is a non sequitur and a strawman, so I won't entertain that with a response.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:49 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
It's a very high cost for poor people whose primary expenditure is food and energy.
What they wont be paying it the rest of us will pay their part watch

Old 09-16-2009, 09:54 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
What cracks me up is most that claims to care so deeply are the ones doing so much harm.

How much could Obama help the enviroment if he didnt fly around on Air Force one unless he had no other choice. But Noooooo Hes flying around just go to out on a date.

yes Cap and Trade type of policy is helping Spain

Old 09-16-2009, 09:54 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Small cost to care for the environment in which we live.
Almost every other industrialized nation has taken steps to lower their footprint.
no its not a small cost, especially when it will do NOTHING for the enviroment

it will not lower a 'footprint' all it does is have someone (the taxpayers) pay for the footprint

it will not decrease garbage
it will not decrease sewage
it will not decrease carbon MONOXIDE
it will not even decrease carbon dioxide

all it is, is an ADDED TAX

Old 09-16-2009, 10:07 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
China is the worst pollutor, not the U.S. The U.S. by and large is quite clean.

And it won't work:

.: U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works :: Minority Page :.

The carbon credit schemes are scams that enrich those invested in them like Al Gore, and have no effect on emissions. If anything, it will lead to more outsourcing to countries with no environmental protection laws, making pollution worse.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:55 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
Matt Taibbi from rolling stone mag had a article showing how cap and trade is going to be the next bubble on Wall St.Of course Al Gore teamed up with some Goldman Sach's boys and they are positioned to sell off sets raking in millions and millions.That is where the credits are going to be sold,just think of how nice that is when you are paying more for everything.
Another point is Obama just lent Brazil 2 billion so they can drill for oil,do you not see something wrong with that picture?What difference to the environment if they are drilling or we are drilling.Hey,2 billion could have put many Americans to work,oh thats right he is the environmental President
Also consider that we bailed out GM and ordered them to make more fuel efficient cars.They turn around and sell the Hummer line to China,once again what is the difference to the environment if they are driving Hummers or we are driving Hummers?
If the President was serious about the environment he would have had them part out and scrap the line.After all we did hand the billions of dollars.
To the posters on the left,you can not use your race card I still have a pair of eights.Until you can beat that S**U about race in every post it makes you look like a imbecile

Old 09-16-2009, 01:01 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotdash View Post
It is the government's job to take on issues too big for us to take on individually. The environment is one of those issues, as is foreign trade, diplomacy, etc. You are asked to pay for the same reason that you are asked to pay local taxes to support your fire department.
Actually, it's the government's job to protect the US. That's it, folks.

I gladly pay taxes LOCALLY, so that I am protected by police and fire. But for the federal government to take MY tax dollars, to fight a bull**** cause that is really all about making Al Gore and his buddies rich from selling carbon credits is not right. And won't be tolerated.....see ya in '10.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:06 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Great.. my medical costs went up by 10% this year alone, plus I took a pay cut. Now I've got this extra BS to pay for. Can't wait for the inflation from all this money laundering Obama's done recently to kick in. Should be a grand ol' time!

Old 09-16-2009, 01:16 PM

624 posts, read 1,072,084 times
Quote:

What happens to those, who like most people, are not poor enough to be subsidized but also are not 'wealthy' enough to afford this new 'cure' for the environment?

Basically, the government will limit the energy supply, raising prices for the consumers. But if you as a consumer are already trying to conserve the energy, you are being penalized. For WHAT?

It's too bad I can't be conserving my energy as Al Gore does it. I guess it means that I just don't care about the environment.

That's what's wrong with the *******s. They care so much about the environment that they ignore the HUMAN beings living in the environment.

How many jobs will be lost? How many families will end up suffering? All of this for what?

Do you have examples of people chocking on bad air? This may happen in the Mexico City, but not in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies