Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 01:06 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times

Advertisements

I have a question.

May seem real dumb to many, but something came up and I'm trying to get my arms around it.

First, I'm white, caucasion, whatever you wanna call it.

If I marry a dark skinned person, born in Mexico, is it an interracial marriage?

If I marry a black skinned person, born in Africa, is it an interracial marriage?

If I marry a light skinned(like me) person, born in Canada, is it an interracial marriage?

If I marry a dark skinned person, born inthe USA, is it an interracial marriage?

I'm trying to ask how nationality and race are connected.

What's the deal?

I marry a columbian and it's interracial, but if the person is French????

Help me out here, please.....

Old 05-02-2007, 01:42 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
an Interracial marriage, just as it sounds and looks like is one in which 2 people of different racial groups(caucasian, negroid, mongoloid-Asian, pacific Islander, Native American, Hispanic-who could be black, white or metizo or Indian) Marry one another.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:43 PM

marrying a person of a different country--french marrying american, or german marrying italian is not interracial--that is intercultural.

marrying one of a different race is

Old 05-02-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
an Interracial marriage, just as it sounds and looks like is one in which 2 people of different racial groups(caucasian, negroid, mongoloid-Asian, pacific Islander, Native American, Hispanic-who could be black, white or metizo or Indian) Marry one another.
Thanks carolinajack. I have a thought process I'm trying to work through.

I know the questions sounds asinine.

What I really am trying to ask is MUST people look different to be different races?

Does it have anything to do with nationality at all?

Part of me says 'yes' and part of me says 'no'.

Since I don't want to look like a fool in front of colleagues by asking them, I thought I'd come here and ask 'undercover'

Old 05-02-2007, 01:52 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
This is my definition of inter-racial,too!

Quote:

Old 05-02-2007, 02:17 PM

no they dont have to look a different color, they have to be a different race. I am african american(some people dont like me to mention my race on city-data but for this I will) and my wife is european american. that is what an interracial marriage is.

if you are european(white) and your spouse is another race(black-originally from african background), (Asian or Oriental-from japan, china, korea, mongolia, india, pakistan, Middle eastern, Southeast Asia), (native American tribe-cherokee, choctaw, etc); or Latin America--Mexico, South America, Central America--and not of pure White European stock or pure African Stock---Then you are interracial.

It doesnt have anything to do with color--some of my family is very white skinned and you cant tell them from a European and some are very very dark skinned.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
no they dont have to look a different color, they have to be a different race. I am african american(some people dont like me to mention my race on city-data but for this I will) and my wife is european american. that is what an interracial marriage is.

if you are european(white) and your spouse is another race(black-originally from african background), (Asian or Oriental-from japan, china, korea, mongolia, india, pakistan, Middle eastern, Southeast Asia), (native American tribe-cherokee, choctaw, etc); or Latin America--Mexico, South America, Central America--and not of pure White European stock or pure African Stock---Then you are interracial.

It doesnt have anything to do with color--some of my family is very white skinned and you cant tell them from a European and some are very very dark skinned.
OK...hehehe...I thought I almost had my arms around this until you posted this one. Thanks for your patience with me, carolinajack, and I knew from some other thread that you were African American, so no problems from me on stating it here.

So if someone says 'Well, that guy over there married a foreigner!'. Would it mean that he was in an interracial marriage or would the correct answer be 'maybe'.

Am I a different race from a Canadien, German, or Frenchman? (as stated above, I guess you'd call me a 'typical white guy')

Old 05-02-2007, 02:26 PM

Race and nationality are different!

And colour and race aren't the same.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:30 PM

1,247 posts, read 926,188 times
Race is an illusion, anyway. There has been so much mixing, there's no such thing as a pure race. Everyone is a mutt.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:39 PM

Of course I am not carolinajack, but here's my take on it.

People don't have to look different to be a different race!

Some people look white but are just a small percentage white, and are considered inter-racial (by racial definition).

Some nationalities: Mexico, and several other Latin and South America countries may be called "black" or "white" but by US law, you must identify your race and not be assigned a race.

Puerto Ricans, too, can be black, mixed blood or white!

Africans can be black, white or mixed blood. But they may all be Kenyan, or South African, or Nigerian.

Some people look black, or very dark-skinned, but are white (by racial definition).

And, Iranians do not consider themselves Arabs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Thanks carolinajack. I have a thought process I'm trying to work through.

I know the questions sounds asinine.

What I really am trying to ask is MUST people look different to be different races?

Does it have anything to do with nationality at all?

Part of me says 'yes' and part of me says 'no'.

Since I don't want to look like a fool in front of colleagues by asking them, I thought I'd come here and ask 'undercover'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies