Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 04:57 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
PEOPLE shouldn't hit PEOPLE.

PEOPLE shouldn't beat PEOPLE.

Most of the time, you are right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 04:59 PM

103 posts, read 148,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Take it up with the Justice Department. Its been on the books for over 40 years, nothing new here.
would that be the same justice department that let the new black panthers slide on their election day event. you know the one on tape in phillie

Old 09-16-2009, 05:00 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudandwhite View Post
would that be the same justice department that let the new black panthers slide on their election day event. you know the one on tape in phillie

Hmmm........did anyone there get assaulted because they were white? Just asking.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:02 PM

877 posts, read 2,768,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Crime after crime by blacks you will never see their race mantioned but you sure as h*ll see it mention A LOT if it is white on black. This srory will get a blurb on the liberal stattions where it will be addressed fully on FOX, as it should be, regardless of the race but because it was an incident on a school bus.
I think there is a difference between a crime and a hate crime. If a black person attacks a white person or anyone else and uses inflammatory racial words during the attack and it can be proven then it would be charged as a hate crime. This happened in New York when some Black guys attacked a latin guy and used deragatory remarks based on his culture and what they deemed was his sexual orientation.

Brooklyn victim of bias attack Jose Sucuzhanay taken off life support

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/09/ny...09assault.html

No one was screaming not to charge them with a hate crime because it was very evident that is what it was.

Here's another link to another hate crime that happened on election night but this time it is some white guys attacking a Liberian guy and something that is very ironic, a white guy that they believed was black. Because the attack was done based on their ethnicity or perceived ethnicity, they were rightfully charged with a hate crime.

SI Election Night Hate Crime Gang Sentenced For Up to 9 Years - Gothamist

Also, you can read up on an old study (about 12 years old) regarding hate crimes that was written by the Department of Justice. At that time, lo and behold, 66% of the perps were white.
Hate Crime
If 66% of the perps were white the reporting of hate crimes would have been unbalanced as it is today. But that is an old study, you can review the most recent statistic at this url Incidents- Hate Crime Statistics, 2007 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2007/incidents.htm - broken link) which reflects that for racially bias hate crimes 69.3 were committed against Blacks, 18.4 against Whites, 6% against multi-ethnic individuals etc. If these stats are true, and I have no way of disproving them, then it reflects that for hate crimes motivated by the race of the victim, Blacks tend to be victimized at a higher level.

In all honesty though, stats aside, a hate crime is a hate crime regardless of who the perp or the victim is and should be handled accordingly. I have no respect for a Black person that attacks someone because they are of a different ethnicity and I have no respect for someone attacking a Black person because of their ethnicity.

Now should a hate crime carry more penalties then another crime, that is something that is debatable since some crimes are pursued as hate crimes so that the perp will receive a harsher sentence, but that is another topic.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:08 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
When they say Cracker Barrel they mean CRACKER Barrel.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:14 PM

103 posts, read 148,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Hmmm........did anyone there get assaulted because they were white? Just asking.
what they did was race based and a civil rights violation a crime

Old 09-16-2009, 05:19 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudandwhite View Post

The same tape that did not provide enough for the Justice department to bring charges. Yes...The same Justice department that have been in place under EVERY ADMINISTRATION since Kennedy, YES. The same Justice department that has take up Civil Rights violation since their creation, YES. Unless there's a different Justice department that your aware of. Whats your point? oops don't sound like you have one.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:21 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,499 times
Wait a minute, if I want to commit a hate crime and not be charged with one all I have to do is not say any "racist slurs"? So I can beat the crap out of any minority I wish and not be cahrged with a hate crime as long as I keep my mouth shut? That's exactly whats wrong with the law.

Now if a minority robs and beats me because whites present a potentially more lucrative target isn't that a race crime?

Old 09-16-2009, 05:33 PM

99 posts, read 151,162 times
Like it or not hate crimes are on the books. This guy should get the worst sentence available. I wouldn't care if he was black or some white guy calling me n*****. If you beat the crap out of me, I want you going away forever.

On a different note, someone mentioned segragation. I really wish the equal part would have been fought for. I don't mind separate. The problem was equal. I believe if we were given true equality in our own communities back then. We would be so much better as a people now. Can you imagine what was done to their self- esteem in those places. A lot of kids still suffer the same way today. I'm all for separate, but equal. Well, I guess I can dream.

Anyway, back to the white guy Fry Him!

Old 09-16-2009, 05:37 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Wait a minute, if I want to commit a hate crime and not be charged with one all I have to do is not say any "racist slurs"? So I can beat the crap out of any minority I wish and not be cahrged with a hate crime as long as I keep my mouth shut? That's exactly whats wrong with the law.
This just illustrates how ridiculous "hate" crimes really are. Anyone who gets attacked as this woman did should expect justice to be mete out. Why you could have identical crimes where a white man beats up a black woman but in one case, the perpetrator yelled out racial slurs and the other perpetrator remained silent during the beating. How can we not say the second crime deserves less punishment versus the first? How can we not say the second crime wasn't motivated by racial hatred?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies