Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 08:45 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,064,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Au contraire mon cheri, think again!

For five years I sat and ate with some of the most promising young scientist in the Ivies, I had no clue what they were talking about most of the time, but they were my friend nonetheless. None of them has made very much in the way of money, but none of them would have been afforded the same research opportunities had they attended the University of Podunk.

You want to be a starving member of the corps de ballet, NYU's Tisch School is the place you want to be. How about third violin playing for union scale with a major symphony orchestra, Julliard perhaps? Maybe you just want to be an impoverished jazz trumpeter who wants a chance to study under Wynton Marsalis, I would suggest the Berklee School of music. How about a scut job as a career diplomat starting at the bottom of the Afghan embassy, Georgetown (unless of course this was during the Bush administration)? Each and every one are the top schools for their respective fields and none of them are cheap, but attendance exposes promising students to the best faculties, the best resources and provide the finest educations that... well money can buy.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea, maybe.

So your point is?
And yet it all means nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 08:47 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,064,574 times
Quote:
Not in the least bit. Next?
I know, it's pretty obvious he doesn't care in the least bit. Thanks for agreeing.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:52 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
They also realize the “good job guarantee" for a college graduate is null and void for their generation so getting employer supplied insurance is unlikely. So being told that buying effectively unlimited health insurance from the government is a good deal for them and they agree.
One simple question... WHO is paying for this unlimited cheap health care from the Gov ?

Old 09-18-2009, 08:55 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
What do the alleged overindulged, pampered, entitlement generation get that their "Real America®" elders don't get?

Here is a group of folks who you would generally think would be repulsed by he idea of having to buy something that they think they don't need, yet understand that their contribution to the risk pool will reduce rates for everyone. Why is it that they are willing to pay up to be a part of a great nation and some of their elders act like, paying dues to be a member of the "greatest" nation is a necessary privilege?

The Associated Press: Obama pitches health care at college campus
Because...they know with their lack of any significant earnings that they will be provided the healthcare insurance for FREE!

Kind of consistent with much of his support group...

Old 09-18-2009, 08:56 AM

989 posts, read 2,498,795 times
Quote:
What do the alleged overindulged, pampered, entitlement generation get that their "Real America®" elders don't get?

Here is a group of folks who you would generally think would be repulsed by he idea of having to buy something that they think they don't need, yet understand that their contribution to the risk pool will reduce rates for everyone. Why is it that they are willing to pay up to be a part of a great nation and some of their elders act like, paying dues to be a member of the "greatest" nation is a necessary privilege?

The Associated Press: Obama pitches health care at college campus

PIE IN THE SKY "ECONOMICS" ALERT!

Ask them again after 10 years of having to earn their own money. Its not funny anymore once you cannot afford something for your family due to forced "contribution to the risk pool."

America, home of the SELF-RELIANT! Defend it!!!

Old 09-18-2009, 09:50 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Yes they are, they are exposed to this crap at an early age. I have two young kids and many of the teachers TRY to toss in the left wing freak show ideas at them, but it does not work!!!

I will be celebrating when Obama DOES SOMETHING RIGHT!
How about that.

You know he has been a utter and complete failure, you have just been brainwashed to look over his failures and mistakes.

Please think, when you come up with something IMPORTANT that your man has done let us all know, so far, as I said, a utter failure.

Guess the change you elected him for was for the worse, not the better.
Sorry you feel your kids are having left wing policy thrown at them. If the teacher is doing that, you should go and have a talk with them.

No, I do not know or think he is a utter failure. I have not been brainwashed. When he does things that I disagree with, I say it. When he does something I like, I agree with it. Simple as that.

I am not as partisan as you are.

And you did not answer the bit about my conservative teacher. I thought ALL professors and teachers are liberal loonies. My teachers openly endorsed Bush 2004.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:09 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
"Because college professors and teachers are largely liberal"

"They're still living on mommy and daddy's dime, living in a liberal bubble"

"Because the youth of this country have been thoroughly indoctrinated by the system."

Does this apply to kids who serve in the military as well?

Anyway, if a liberal education leads to the idea of shared sacrifice as the price for living in a free country, I am damned glad that I am a liberal and the product of liberal indoctrination.

So how do we get the rest of these teabaggers to understand that living in this country isn't a free ride?
It doesn't apply to military men and women - they aren't living on mommy and daddy's dime, and since the "liberal bubble" I was referring to was college, that doesn't apply either.

Since when was the price for living in a free country the idea of shared sacrifice? That's quite Marxist, actually. This country is based on the idea of personal responsibility. I'm glad you're proud of being a liberal, and even more glad that you can see that you were indoctrinated. I'm personally proud that I rely on myself, and could do an even better job of it if my government stopped taking my money to reward those that like to milk the system, i.e. redistribution of wealth.

And enough with the crude references to teabaggers - you just make yourself look small.....

Old 09-18-2009, 11:15 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I know several of my friends voted for McCain because he was pro life and anti gay marriage. No politics whatsoever. To them, it was just religious beliefs.
Wow, you have some pretty stupid friends - do they know that Obama also is anti-gay marriage?

Winston Churchill If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:27 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
"Because college professors and teachers are largely liberal"

"They're still living on mommy and daddy's dime, living in a liberal bubble"

"Because the youth of this country have been thoroughly indoctrinated by the system."

Does this apply to kids who serve in the military as well?

Anyway, if a liberal education leads to the idea of shared sacrifice as the price for living in a free country, I am damned glad that I am a liberal and the product of liberal indoctrination.

So how do we get the rest of these teabaggers to understand that living in this country isn't a free ride?
My son once told me that it was his liberal upbringing that inspired him to join the Army, and if that isn't the ultimate in shared sacrifice to one's country, I sure don't know what is. He's all in favor of some sort of mandatory government service too

I listened to the President address those young people yesterday, and I was so inspired by their enthusiasm. Of course they want to be able to buy health insurance. They know that once they graduate they will be 'aged' out of their parents' coverage and young people today are extremely pragmatic. To all those who chose to express nothing but ill-will towards our young people, I say, shame on you.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:32 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
15,000 iindoctrinated kids that have been trained for years to think only inside a liberal box.
Setting aside the fact that this is nonsense, if it wasn't, why do you think that is? Where are the conservative teachers and professors? Why is it that only liberals chose to become education majors and live on a teacher's salary?
Do conservatives truly not feel the same mandate to provide educations to our nation's youth or are they just all about the business degrees and money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies