Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:23 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Why are you upset over Obama's czars, but uttered not a peep about Bush's?
Are you claiming to be a mindreader to know that he didn't? How do you know he didn't? Other than speaking ideologic rhetoric, how about sticking to the facts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 09:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Article 2 Section 2 relates to what we call "czars" today.

He shall have power, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, to make treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, shall appoint ambassadors, other public ministers and consuls, judges of the Supreme Court, and all other officers of the United States, whose appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by law: but the Congress may by law vest the appointment of such inferior officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the courts of law, or in the heads of departments.

It is obvious that Congress has the right to vest these people. Without Congress' consent these people have no power and the positions themselves do not exist legally.
Key word there is "may" and Congress has not done that. Not for Obama and I don't believe they did it for Bush.

I don't care about the czars as much as I care that he's putting lobbyists in those positions when he promised to get big business out of government.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:47 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
FOX News will have a CZAR special on Friday 9/18/2009 at 9pm. This is another major issue coming to light. Now Democrat leaders are asking the questions.

Democrats join GOP czar wars - Manu Raju - POLITICO.com

In the war on the czars, Glenn Beck and the GOP are picking up reinforcements from an unlikely source: the Democratic Party.

The Fox News host and leading Republican lawmakers have been hammering President Barack Obama for weeks over a proliferation of policy “czars” — presidential appointees who don’t have to be confirmed by the Senate and aren’t easily held to account by Senate oversight committees.

I hope its obvious that Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck are leading spokesmen for the GOP, with one of them, Rush Limbaugh, actually running the party from his radio show, throwing out orders and an operating framework that these lawmakers must conform to. Talk about your czars, you have a certifiably crazy television talk show host without a clue who cries his way into prominence with his sheeplike devotees...

Old 09-17-2009, 09:50 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
and he shall nominate, and by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, shall appoint ambassadors, other public ministers and consuls, judges of the Supreme Court, and all other officers of the United States, whose appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by law

If Congress did not add these positions through legislation they do not legally exist. Once they do legally exist, then the President can make such appointments with the advice AND consent of Congress.

The "may" part follows all of the above. Now that Congress is starting to look into this, the President and any of his "czars" are completely at the mercy of Congressional approval.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Well I hope your right irspow. I hope Congress feels threatened enough to fix this.
Regardless of party, I think this "czar" thing has gotten out of hand.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:57 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,324,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Why are you upset over Obama's czars, but uttered not a peep about Bush's?
I'm NOT upset. I'm having fun. Ain't you?

The Democrats are asking the questions now.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:02 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
I hope they fix this too. Their is no other reason for these "czars" other than to sidestep the scrutiny that potential cabinet members face. I feel bad for the cabinet members who thought they were going to work with the President only to find out that some person who crawled under the fence is going to do their job. I mean what would it feel like to be used only as a name tag that could pass Congressional approval and obscure the view of someone else who the President knows is undesirable? Strange times...

Old 09-17-2009, 10:12 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
I'm NOT upset. I'm having fun. Ain't you?

The Democrats are asking the questions now.
Just as I thought. The right-wing posters on this thread refuse to answer the question. This whole flap over Obama's czars is just another hypocritical attempt to discredit Obama's presidency. Laughably transparent.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:15 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
"czars" don't concern me.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:17 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I hope its obvious that Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck are leading spokesmen for the GOP, with one of them, Rush Limbaugh, actually running the party from his radio show, throwing out orders and an operating framework that these lawmakers must conform to. Talk about your czars, you have a certifiably crazy television talk show host without a clue who cries his way into prominence with his sheeplike devotees...
Glenn Beck is a Libertarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies