Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 5,263 times

Advertisements

Hi Mooseketeer:

Thanks so much for signing my petition also thank you for the link to greenpeace I have already signed with them as well, I am really hoping this seal hunt does not happen again next year and a stop to this atrocity will end soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I'll sign your petition Elaine1234.
That's what seals do , eat salmon ! To kill animals just because what they do what is natural to them is crazy. I am sure that it decreases profits for fishing companies but I can't believe a cull is the solution. Plus clubbing isn't exactly humane either. I think it is time we start balancing the needs of nature with ours. Let's face it , over fishing is far more of a threat to our fishing stocks than seals, no matter how greedy the little beggars are. In some part of the Atlantic the fishing stocks are at all time lows and not due to furry critters either. We need to be more responsible in our attitude to nature. We can't carry on exploiting it and still expect it to be the horn of plenty it once was.
I do eat fish by the way and my cholesterol is pretty low but I try to only buy from sustainable sources and shop responsibly. The least of our worries is seals or whales eating all our fish but the fishing trawlers which rape the oceans daily and leave a barren ocean floor where life becomes impossible to sustain. Why do we for example eat only 8 or 9 types of fish when there are thousands of yummy ones out there . A bit of variety would ensue replenishment of current stocks and might even add to a bit of interest on our plates. Cod and salmon are not the only delicious fish we can fish for.
Trying to be more sustainable isn't just for bearded hippy weirdos, it is just plain common sense and might just save our planet from becoming a pretty unliveable place.
Elaine1234, have you signed up to Greenpeace yet? :

http://weblog.greenpeace.org/oceandefenders/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 08:39 PM

3 posts, read 5,263 times
Hi Tigerlilly:

I think the Internet is great as well depite the negative feedback I get from some people about petitions and doing It on the Internet is concerned I thank you so much for signing If you know anyone else that would be Interested please do pass my link on to them.
Again, many thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Elaine 1234: We used to go door to door many years ago with the seal petitions. The internet is great. I signed the petition.

BTW - The initial post addresses seal populations declining, not sea lions as a pp stated. Sea Lions eat seals in addition to salmon.

"If the seals are on land, a sea lion attack stirs a "mass exodus" of seals plunging into the water. The sea lions -- adult males average about 1,250 pounds -- snatch much smaller seal pups or juveniles with their sharp teeth. Seals weigh about 25 pounds at birth and average 180 pounds as adults."
http://www.adn.com/front/story/8818899p-8719778c.html (broken link)

Dams and destruction of their habitat is main cause for salmon decline. The Ninth Court just upheld a lower ruling requiring the feds to maintain flows to keep salmon alive.
http://www.earthjustice.org/news/pre...mon-flows.html

http://www.pcffa.org/fn-may98.htm

...“It seems like whenever the federal government’s failures to restore these salmon become obvious, you often see relatively minor problems like sea lions scapegoated,.. ...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15301838/

Old 10-28-2013, 03:52 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
less humans means more room for seals and salmon alike and countless other species

Old 10-28-2013, 04:09 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Sorry, no!

Old 10-28-2013, 04:28 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
Seals in washington state are distroying salmon runs. I hope they kill them all. Not trying to start an argument, just a different point of view. Seal pups are cute, thats why we dont want them killed. Adults kill way to many salmon. I really dont see any use for them accept as food for the sharks or whales.
Because Seals haven't been eating fish for 1000s of years and pollution, over fishing, and habitat destruction (i.e. all man made factors) aren't the primary cause of many species of fish stocks' collapsing.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:46 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,736,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine1234 View Post
Hello:

I would just like to let everyone know that I have a petition currently In circulation and It will be ongoing Indefinitely so as to stop the seal hunt that goes on In Canada every year, so for all those people that would like to see the Canadian seal hunt end for good and to try and stop It from happening again next year please go ahead and stop by and sign my petition.

I thank everyone who signs every signature does count and hopefully together we can end this cruelty once and for all.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please go to this web page If you wish to support a worthy cause and pass on to everyone you know

The yearly Canadian seal hunt - Petition Spot (broken link)
Please explain why anyone should care.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:52 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
if you get rid of seals, then next time there is a pirate attack in Somalia or another Bin Ladin on the loose, who ya gonna call?
nothing to read here....please move on......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies