Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 08:22 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times

Advertisements

[quote=Who?Me?!;10811579]
Quote:
Well, lying about me won't strengthen whatever argument you had.
What lie? You claim to see racism in every innocuous statement the right makes.

Quote:
I NEVER claimed to see racism everywhere...so that's a lie.
Don't have to make the claim. It is evident in your posts and attitude.

Quote:
But I see it most whenever I look to the "right".
Is that where you keep your mirror?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 08:28 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
you completely missed the point of the thread. If everyone who disagrees with BO is a racist, then what is this black man? A racist against his own race? That is the point. Comprende?
No one is going to prove the point that they're not racist by posting things like the OP posted.

I don't think that everyone who disagrees with Obama is a racist and have never posted anything like that. But I really am starting to wonder about it. First, there are people who hate him on a visceral level--much more than anyone hated Bush prior to the Iraq war. You've seen it on here--he can't utter a single word or do a single thing without being criticized for it. That hatred comes from somewhere and it's not just disagreement with his politics.

Second, there does seem to be a feeling from many people that any time a black person disagrees with Obama it's big news. Those things get posted over and over. Maybe it's just a case of the chicken and the egg--which came first, charges that everyone who disagrees with Obama is racist, or people pointing out that a black person would disagree with him. I don't know.

But I do know that it would go a long way toward dispelling charges of racism if people who disagree with his policies would talk about his policies and drop the claims that he's a racist Muslim who was born in Kenya and is intent on setting up a dictatorship. That's fearmongering, plain and simple, and appears to be based on fear or disgust with the idea that a black man is president.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:30 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Are you all just realizing that black people are capable of individual thoughts? I don't understand why every time a black person dislikes Obama it's something to talk about. Hey I don't like cornbread - who wants to create a thread titled "Southern Black Woman refuses to eat cornbread"

Old 09-18-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
It is so wonderful that you know the minds and thoughts of everyone and can speak with such authority about their motivations. You must have talked to everyone at length to discover their inner most thoughts and feelings on this to be able to make your above statement.

Either that or your racism and bigotry are showing in your assumption of knowledge and motivations you truly know nothing about.
I certainly don't know everyone's thoughts and motivations. But I do know that blacks are not a monolithic people and that there are liberal blacks and conservative blacks and athletic blacks and computer geek blacks. I don't think it's noteworthy when a black man disagrees with Obama.

Do you think it's worth a thread when a black person disagrees with Obama? If so, why?

Old 09-18-2009, 08:39 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Nope, Ugh, you still don't get it...and probably never will.
so, 'splain it to me hoomie [hey, that rhymes!]

why is it okay for you to say that a person or people are black or white, but you go into paroxyms of 'RACISM!!!!' when someone else does it?

seems mighty odd.

Quote:
But pssst...your keyboard is an inanimate object, it doesn't feel.....talk to someone about your keyboard, your bad cough, and what you're "hearing".....
one would think so. but your ear-splitting and unending howls of 'RACIST!!!!!!!' are so frequent and monontonous, they're beginning to put cracks in my monitor..

Old 09-18-2009, 08:40 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
People who hate Obama go on and on about how it's not because it's he's black. Then, they find a black person who doesn't like Obama and they think it's newsworthy.

The fact that someone thinks that a black man criticizing Obama merits a thread shows that they think of blacks as an other, a "they," a "not like us" homogenous group of people. In other words, they're looking at the speaker only in the context of his race, and not as an individual. That's the basic definition of a racist--a person who judges another based on his race.

If that's not true, can the OP explain why they think a black man speaking out against Obama is interesting or newsworthy? Did anyone post "White woman speaks out against Bush" when Cindy Sheehan was protesting? Or have you been surprised by the fact that lots of white people in Congress disagree with each other? Isn't that shocking? After all, they're members of the same race and isn't that what defines them?

I'd like very much to believe that much of the Obama bashing is not about race. But time and time again people are showing their true colors.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:51 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Why did you point out that the man was black? Does it have something to do with teleprompters?

And the "TOTUS" issue is just about the stupidest thing I've ever seen come out of conservatives. Although it has competition: Czars, birthers, death panels.

There's just a perfect storm of stupidity over there on the right.
LOL

Everyone, not just conservatives, have been pointing out 0bama's over reliance on the teleprompter, ever since he started taking them out to ever campaign appearance. Trying to belittle conservatives for pointing out 0bama's weaknesses will not make those weaknesses go away, nor will it make 0bama appear stronger.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:52 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
I certainly don't know everyone's thoughts and motivations. But I do know that blacks are not a monolithic people and that there are liberal blacks and conservative blacks and athletic blacks and computer geek blacks. I don't think it's noteworthy when a black man disagrees with Obama.

Do you think it's worth a thread when a black person disagrees with Obama? If so, why?
Actually, no. But if you consider it not noteworthy, why even read or post in this thread? Why post what you assume others must be thinking? Why think that you can claim the high ground when you appear to claim that there is none to be claimed?

Old 09-18-2009, 08:55 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
People who hate Obama go on and on about how it's not because it's he's black. Then, they find a black person who doesn't like Obama and they think it's newsworthy.
I guess you miss the part were people who disagree with 0bama are said to be racist bigots. Threads like this are just trying to point out the absurdity of such claims.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Actually, no. But if you consider it not noteworthy, why even read or post in this thread? Why post what you assume others must be thinking? Why think that you can claim the high ground when you appear to claim that there is none to be claimed?
I could ask you the same thing. If you don't think it's noteworthy, why are you posting about it? We're both posting because we're discussing the motivations behind some people's vitriolic hatred of Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies