Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 03:00 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1234 View Post
As a former resident of Alaska, I take exception to this-especially since Palin authorized a 1200 "energy payment" for every man, woman and child in Alaska, in addition to the 2100$ dividend--can you say 85% approval rating? There, I knew you weren't a child of the media.
I hope you are joking?

Let me remind you, all states have to raise revenues somehow. Alaska is no exception to the rule. What makes Alaska an exception is Oil, they have a lot of it, and very few people living in the state. By being a resident of Alaska its kind of like you own a large amount of stock in Exxon. When Oil prices are high, dividends will be high, last years oil prices were exceptionally high.

The problem is, what would happen if Alaska didn't have oil? What if we no longer needed the oil? People vote with their wallets, if they see a $2100 check come in the mail they are going to be happy, the more money the better right? We can sell the whole damn state to loggers and oilmen as long as my check is fatter!

I could be wrong, but selling off the state to the highest bidder just for money doesn't make you a great leader, or a great citizen of a state. Can you imagine what our world would look like if we just sold out to everyone who offered us money? There would be loggers in our national parks, strip-miners taking down our ski slopes, and when you looked out into the ocean, all you would see is oil drilling platforms. But as long as I'm getting a check every year, I'm happy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 03:08 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Dukester; I beg to differ... Palin thought Africa was a country instead of a continent.

Quote:
[jfre81"Africa is a country that suffers from incredible disease” -George W. Bush, June 14, 2001

Palin was merely being "presidential."
And President Obama said there were what - 57 states?

And our current Vice President? Just google "biden+gaffes"

Old 09-18-2009, 04:28 AM

843 posts, read 1,298,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I hope you are joking?

Let me remind you, all states have to raise revenues somehow. Alaska is no exception to the rule. What makes Alaska an exception is Oil, they have a lot of it, and very few people living in the state. By being a resident of Alaska its kind of like you own a large amount of stock in Exxon. When Oil prices are high, dividends will be high, last years oil prices were exceptionally high.

The problem is, what would happen if Alaska didn't have oil? What if we no longer needed the oil? People vote with their wallets, if they see a $2100 check come in the mail they are going to be happy, the more money the better right? We can sell the whole damn state to loggers and oilmen as long as my check is fatter!

I could be wrong, but selling off the state to the highest bidder just for money doesn't make you a great leader, or a great citizen of a state. Can you imagine what our world would look like if we just sold out to everyone who offered us money? There would be loggers in our national parks, strip-miners taking down our ski slopes, and when you looked out into the ocean, all you would see is oil drilling platforms. But as long as I'm getting a check every year, I'm happy?

See that's why I don't care for President Obama. The unions got him elected and he keeps doing things to pay them off.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:30 AM

843 posts, read 1,298,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
I beg to differ... Palin thought Africa was a country instead of a continent.
"Last time I checked, the Constitution says we have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." -President Bill Clinton

Too bad that is is the Declaration of Independence.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:54 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
See that's why I don't care for President Obama. The unions got him elected and he keeps doing things to pay them off.
Unions wouldn't exist if Republicans had their way, so of course unions support the democrats. I can't think of anything Obama did that was designed only to benefit the unions? He bailed out union and non-union alike. Most unions already have quality healthcare. So his healthcare reform isn't really targeted at them. Democrats support unions because they believe unions help raise wages and provide benefits for all americans.

So when did Obama become a sell-out again?

Old 09-18-2009, 06:04 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Not at all surprising given the quality of the public school system combined with low parental involvment.
Its sad how low we are falling.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleWA View Post
That is a lie. BS statistics made up so they can get millions of dollars from the tax payers. It's the same fools who say most Americans can't locate the USA on a map. I say that every American, except those with mental issues, can name the first U.S President and locate the country on a map.
Glad you picked up on the reason for this study. We all know kids are not taught geography and history like in years past, but no way can you convince me 75% of the kids in any large or even small school district can't name the first Pres of our country.

Nita

Old 09-18-2009, 09:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
I beg to differ... Palin thought Africa was a country instead of a continent.
I hardly think that is the same...

Nita

Old 09-18-2009, 09:30 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,208,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Glad you picked up on the reason for this study. We all know kids are not taught geography and history like in years past, but no way can you convince me 75% of the kids in any large or even small school district can't name the first Pres of our country.

Nita

Have you taken a look at Arkansas lately...?

Old 09-18-2009, 09:37 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,070 times
I bet they can name the first name of the last president though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies