Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 06:25 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,608 times

Advertisements

Jimmy Carter's comments about race got me thinking. Back in the 70s when he was president, surely alot of people had trouble accepting a Southern president.

I'm a bit too young to remember, does anyone recall Carter receiving unprecedented disrespect based on his cultural background while he was in office?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 06:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Yep.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:33 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,315,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post

I'm a bit too young to remember, does anyone recall Carter receiving unprecedented disrespect based on his cultural background while he was in office?
Brother Billy helped live up to the stereotype and even peddled his own brew:
Billy Carter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
In 1977, he endorsed Billy Beer capitalizing upon his colorful image as a beer-drinking Southern boy that had developed in the press when his brother ran for President. Carter's name was occasionally used as a gag answer for a Washington, D.C., trouble-maker on 1970s episodes of The Match Game. Carter was known for his outlandish public behavior. For example, he once urinated on an airport runway in full view of the press and dignitaries

In late 1978 and early 1979, Billy Carter visited Libya three times with a contingent from Georgia. He eventually registered as a foreign agent of the Libyan government and received a $220,000 loan. This led to a Senate hearing over alleged influence peddling which some in the press dubbed "Billygate." A Senate sub-committee was called To Investigate Activities of Individuals Representing Interests of Foreign Governments (Billy Carter-Libya Investigation).

After the failure of Billy Beer, Carter sold his house to settle back taxes with the IRS.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:40 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
Quote:
Jimmy Carter's comments about race got me thinking. Back in the 70s when he was president, surely alot of people had trouble accepting a Southern president.

'Peanut Farmer' and many, many jokes about his twangy accent and Redneck brother and religiosity--'I have lusted in my heart for a woman'. Until George Bush he was 'the worst' president in recent history, political or personal qualifications would be difficult to separate.

Bill Clinton was the next Southern president and people seemed to like/adore him --not much like Jimmy Carter.

Someone remarked a few days ago that this needed to be said--to start a dialogue. I must live in a different world--it certainly seems that the ethnicity of Barack Obama and feelings about all aspects of this have been discussed and analyzed for at least 2 years.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 09-18-2009 at 07:13 AM..

Old 09-18-2009, 06:43 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,235,972 times
I still have a couple of cans of Billy Beer.

I wonder what how it taste after all of these years?

I'd bet it's pretty flat...

Just like Jimmy was as president...

Old 09-18-2009, 07:16 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,326,320 times
Quote:

I don't recall to much disrespect...but everyone was just so tired of Vietnam and Nixon and Whitewater and the perception that America had spun horribly out of control. Carter was a breath of fresh air, and the baby boomers flocked to his campaign. But he turned out to be such a sourpuss, and the boomers happily turned him out of office for Reagan's sunnier message.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:18 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,686 times
Quote:

No, he did not.

Last Prez who had this level of hatred- also based in the South- was JFK.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:22 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,326,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
No, he did not.

Last Prez who had this level of hatred- also based in the South- was JFK.
I disagree that's he's generated hatred, but he has certainly generated distrust...that's what happens when you sell yourself to the electorate as a centrist, then rule as a liberal. Americans don't like being tricked.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:25 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I disagree that's he's generated hatred, but he has certainly generated distrust...that's what happens when you sell yourself to the electorate as a centrist, then rule as a liberal. Americans don't like being tricked.
If you go back and look at his campaign- even a casual glance- you'll see the opposite is true:

Obama ran as a Progressive, and is governing as a Corporate Dem.

Which is why most of the legit flack he's catching (vs the racist hate from the right) comes from the Liberal wing of his party.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:36 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
I'm confused as to why people in the 70's would have had any problem accepting a Southern President? LBJ was a Southerner, wasn't he?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies