Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 08:25 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I'm posting here in response to some inflammatory name-calling by both left- and right-leaning folks in one of the state forums. I thought this would be a more appropriate forum for my question, which is this:

Are there still Americans out there who can have a serious disagreement without resorting to "name-calling"?

I am really concerned about the future of our country if we can't get it together enough to talk TO and not AT each other (and I think the extremes on both right and left, not to mention the media, are all guilty of this).

It frustrates me to no end when we spend so much time bickering with each other that the substance of problems can't be addressed. Am I alone in this? Is there anyone out there who shares my frustration?
I agree with you. It is very difficult to be direct and honest these days without offending someone. Heaven Forbid someone's precious feelings would be hurt for a few seconds! It is one of the ways we are losing our freedom of speech. We arene't supposed to utter a word that isn't politically correct. The moderators always seem to side with the person who complains so the person with the good idea never gets a chance to express it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 08:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I agree with you. It is very difficult to be direct and honest these days without offending someone. Heaven Forbid someone's precious feelings would be hurt for a few seconds! It is one of the ways we are losing our freedom of speech. We arene't supposed to utter a word that isn't politically correct. The moderators always seem to side with the person who complains so the person with the good idea never gets a chance to express it.
So we're supposed to feel free to tell everyone their ideas are stupid, the party they support is lazy, or heartless, etc? We're talking about trying to be more civil, not less. Sometimes it's not what you say, it's how you say it.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:28 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Extremism is the logical result of binary thinking. When we condense the world down to left and right, black and white, good and evil, this and that, what else could the result be?

As I just recently posted in another similar thread and I'll offer to you as well, my own thoughts on discourse in America and some of the responses we came up with.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...e-america.html
I could not agree with you more. Thank you for posting this. I also believe that basic education must include skills such as critical thinking, reasoning and logical debate, if we are to evaluate information for ourselves rather than blindly parrot what we hear.

Particularly in light of the access of information at this juncture in history, I believe it is essential that people be able to evaluate the quality of an information source and differentiate between fact and opinion.

I love that as Americans we can hold and express strong and disparate beliefs. It's not as though this is a new phenomenon in our national history. I just think longingly of a time when mud slinging involved saying things like "you are not a gentleman" rather than the circus of vitriolic insults we seem to have now.

Edit: As an afterthought, I wonder if discourse included more identification of facts as facts and beliefs as beliefs (both of which I believe are important), we could begin to have more civilized disagreements.....

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 09-20-2009 at 06:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies