Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 04:01 PM

716 posts, read 1,117,359 times

Advertisements

"The suit seeks back pay for the teen and a permanent injunction against the retailer from participating in what it describes as discriminatory employment practices. It seeks undisclosed monetary and non-monetary losses resulting from "emotional pain, suffering, anxiety, loss of enjoyment of life, humiliation and inconvenience."

This is where it gets out of control. They might have decided not to hire her for any other reason. It sounds like they just told her that they had a dress code, and she had to follow it. Demanding back pay for a job that you never even had is a joke. Maybe they didn't like the idea of a potential hire being demanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 04:02 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,000,423 times
she should sue her religion. they are the ones holding her back. can she not dress for work as she must. i have OSHA to tell me and thousands in fines if i dont comply

Old 09-18-2009, 04:10 PM

37,069 posts, read 42,032,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
she should sue her religion. they are the ones holding her back. can she not dress for work as she must. i have OSHA to tell me and thousands in fines if i dont comply
I think this is an idea that needs to be embraced. Bravo.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:11 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,751,288 times
I don't know why a hijab wearing Muslim would want to work in that store. I'd be uncomfortable.....

In any case, I don't think they have much of a case.
It certainly sucks sometimes to be a Muslim.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:23 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,608,811 times
Apparently filing frivolous lawsuits is within her religion. What she is attempting to do is a slap in the face of every minority that fought for employment in the Jim Crow days. Will she be applying at Victorias Secret next? Or maybe a job at Famous Daves where she will refuse to serve pork?

A little common sense goes a long ways towards mutual cultural/religious appreciation.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:37 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,589,721 times
In Europe the issue has been going for years now and in the beginning everyboy agreed with what A&F is doing now...but when millions of muslims enter the country and the keep going back in time with the clotches they are wearing the harder it was to refuse them a job...Now you see them every where.

Even at the hair dresser they made issues...although IMo and many others agreed with it, a hairstylist is a person who also is showing their hair for the latest fashion and whe they wear a scarf that is not what a hair salon is about.

In the clothing industry I expect a girl to wear the style of the store and to me a scarf doesn't fit the outfits of A&F...why does the not apply in a type of store where muslims buy the long skirts and dresses or coats...there she will fit and a girl wearing a short top won't be hired either...so no lawsuit, but that is JMO!

Old 09-18-2009, 04:54 PM

507 posts, read 676,937 times
I think the style of Muslim dress really depends on each individual's idea of modesty. For some Muslim women modestly means being completely covered (including the eyes), for some it's wearing a hijab and wearing jeans and a shirt, for others it's no covering at all. I really don't know how conservatively this person dresses. It is very much possible for a Muslim female to have A&F style and just place a scarf on her head. At the same time, people can choose to hire who they want, and A&F is well known for having a look. I do agree that there are way too many lawsuits.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:00 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,559,813 times
I was managing a quick lube place a few years ago and we hired on a gal in her early 20s to be a cashier. Now, cashiers DO help out outside on the cars (washing windows, checking tire pressure etc.) but she told us AFTER she got hired that she was not allowed to wear pants or short sleeved shirts because of her religion. We had to call our uniform company and have them MAKE us ankle lengthed skirts and special order her long sleeve shirts to wear, which meant she couldn't work outside in the summer (it was too hot) and she couldn't work outside because of modesty issues (we had pits and you can see up skirts when walking around the cars washing windows etc.).

That girl made life absolute hell for us for the 7 or so months she worked there. She wanted us to participate in morning prayer, refused to work outside, wouldn't get her hands dirty or do 'mans work' and constantly told us girls that we shouldn't be doing a man's job and we shouldn't work on cars. Of course, we couldn't fire her because she would have sued us for religious discrimination.. she threatened it more than once.

Businesses shouldn't have to rewrite their policies for a religious person.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:06 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,000,423 times
how can these suits even happen. they only scream seperation of church and state when it suits them?

Old 09-18-2009, 05:34 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,417,090 times
I think the biggest 'mistake' was for the manager to anwer her question regarding why she didn't get the job. He said she didn't have "the look." I would have said, "we filled the position" and left it at that. I am not aware of any requirement that employers have to explain why they didn't hire someone. If they did that, they'd be doing nothing but explaining...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies