Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:32 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
I would assume that's because people without insurance rarely pay.

Do you have anything to base that assumption on?

From what I've read it's mostly due to the bargaining power of the insurance companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 08:34 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I don't know about the non-payment inflation. I do know in NYC, the public hospital system has or had a fund for the uninsured when I worked in their hospital/medical school program, and the system is huge by national standards.
Thus, non-payment was less of an issue, and services always provided at the same cost regardless of ability to pay.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:12 AM

1,247 posts, read 925,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Do you have anything to base that assumption on?

From what I've read it's mostly due to the bargaining power of the insurance companies.
Nope, it's just an assumption. If the uninsured were less risky, I would assume there wouldn't be as many superfluous charges. If an insurance company gets charged $1000 for a procedure, I can't imagine that the hospital is losing much money, if any. If they charge an individual without insurance $3000 for the same procedure, it's reasonable to assume that $2000 of that is superfluous. I would assume that 1 in 3 uninsured pay their bill. Maybe the ratio is a bit off, but there's my logic.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:27 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
Nope, it's just an assumption. If the uninsured were less risky, I would assume there wouldn't be as many superfluous charges. If an insurance company gets charged $1000 for a procedure, I can't imagine that the hospital is losing much money, if any. If they charge an individual without insurance $3000 for the same procedure, it's reasonable to assume that $2000 of that is superfluous. I would assume that 1 in 3 uninsured pay their bill. Maybe the ratio is a bit off, but there's my logic.
I have my doubts that trying to apply logic to this system is a reasonable thing.

I know damn well if I was billed $3 for something many others are billed $1 for I'd send them $1 and tell them to stick it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies