Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 12:07 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,438 times

Advertisements

I was amazed when I was young to see poor indian children playing in the streets of India with no shoes and no guarantee of the next meal while at the same time laughing and having fun. I did not understand at that time how such poor people who had nothing could be happy. The answer to happiness is not how much you do or do not pay in taxes. The answer to happiness is people.
People that feel they are part of a community are happier. Some of the people that feel no connection to the people around them pick up guns and begin shooting other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 02:28 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,462,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
All the more reason we have to move in there first.
Have you ever been to those countries? Or outside the USA?
If not, then you have no right no judge their lifes because you do not even know how those people live their lifes.

How come, you think you see the big picture and those people do not see it?
People in those countries have the best education in Europe and travel a lot.
Can you say the same about yourself?
What was your major in college?

Old 09-20-2009, 02:30 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JToKKo View Post
Is happiness the most important thing in life? If so why don't we just pull some 1984. We could deplete people oxygen when they are babies, then we'll medicate them their whole lives. Viola! Happiness. <snip> And besides, how do you measure happiness?
Gee, I just posted how happiness is measured.
Go to Rotterdam and study it the way the author of The Geography of Bliss did.

The US has a great deal of its population medicated to cope with our problems, it's just not called SOMA.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
They think the same about US Americans .
Most likely they don't thing about the US much.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Most likely they don't thing about the US much.
A lot of people do in Europe. Well, I can only speak of the countries I lived in, but people do think about the US because the actions of the US do influence our lifes here.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
One of the single quickest ways to make me unhappy is to raise my taxes. So their idea of happiness must differ greatly from mine!

And quit saying the gov't is giving their people free services. Paying 72% taxes is certainly not my idea of free!

I work to make money for myself, to spend how I see fit, to enhance my life as I see fit. I do not work to enhance the welfare of others. They are free to work for their own money to spend as they see fit. To take so much of one's own money to be redistributed by govt is an affront to personal freedom and liberty, and it me makes those who espouse it enemies of the same. Want my money? GTFO with that poisonous attitude!
You do not pay 72% in taxes.
Why do you lie?

As it stated in another thread, don't use any services, including the streets to get to your job.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:14 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,290,783 times
This thread just confirms the fact that universal social services require high taxes to pay for them. If someone wants to live in a country in which up to 80% of their income goes to the govt. so be it. There are benefits and disadvantages to every govt. system. Our system is not without its flaws. It comes down to personal preference. I want the opportunity to live the American dream and become wealthy. I worked hard to be where I am today. I don't want to give the govt up to 80% of my income. The point is nothing is free including health care

Old 09-20-2009, 03:16 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,143,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I am sorry to tell you this but if you think "happiness" is the same for everyone than you are just lying to yourself and if you are measuring one thing to indicate happiness.. Then yes, those people are lying about happiness... its quite obvious happiness isn't about having the most social services... no matter how you try to spin it...
Well, Forbes didnt conduct the study, and you're arguing with me personally as if I did, but that's okay evil, you can believe they're all lying if it makes you happy

Old 09-20-2009, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
A lot of people do in Europe. Well, I can only speak of the countries I lived in, but people do think about the US because the actions of the US do influence our lifes here.
I'll agree with that to a point, it's more of looking at the boneheadedness of the US.
Also the export of their pop culture and TV, but that's changing, too.

A lot of people, more like some.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'll agree with that to a point, it's more of looking at the boneheadedness of the US.
Also the export of their pop culture and TV, but that's changing, too.

A lot of people, more like some.
Or the crisis that started in 2007. Of course people are angry that European countries have to suffer from something that has its beginning in the US.

And yes, people of course are amused about some of the Americans that cannot find other countries on a map. Not even countries they invaded or even their own country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies