Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:16 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
This will shock everyone. I agree that the health care bill put forth by the Senate this week WOULD be a tax on the middle class and would actually put people in a worse position than they are now. The only ones to benefit by this bill would be the insurance companies and it should never pass as it is written now.
Yep. It's a real piece of crap, just like Medicare Plan D. Crumbs -- if that -- for the people and windfall for the corporations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
That reminds me, I have to write my Senators....
In your state (PA)? That's a laugh....your senior Senator can't make up his mind what he believes and will do anything to keep his desperate ass in his Senate seat.

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
It is either a tax or a penalty. Either way it hurts many that can least afford it.
But aren't the uninsured the ones demanding this?

Shouldn't they expect to pay something for health insurance like all the rest of us do? Or who do they expect must pay it for them.

Most uninsured I know have the latest cell phones, unlimited phone service, they have video game players that cost almost as much as a year's insurance, they have the latest games, they have nice cars. They go to concerts.

It seems that many want something for nothing.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
In your state (PA)? That's a laugh....your senior Senator can't make up his mind what he believes and will do anything to keep his desperate ass in his Senate seat.
And he stated he wouldn't vote for a bill without public option. I'm going to hold him to that.

I will not only never vote for someone who votes for a bill that has no public option, I will actively work against anyone who does.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:20 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Yep. It's a real piece of crap, just like Medicare Plan D. Crumbs -- if that -- for the people and windfall for the corporations.
Exactly. We would be better off with no bill at all than this cynical sell out to the insurance companies. We need UHC and instead we are being offered Universal Insurance Payments.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This is part of his problem - why people don't believe him. They know, without a doubt, this is a tax. This is like what clinton said - It depends what the definition of "is" is.
I think the uninsured who are demanding government provide them insurance were fine with it being a tax -- on others. They want the already insured to cough up some cash to give them insurance too. They despise the already insured believing they get it for nothing and are ignorant that people with insurance make sacrifices to have it.

Insured people pay premiums, they also have deductibles, copays and limits.

I believe too any of the uninsured want to be able to pay zero, walk into a doctor's office every time they sneeze and pay nothing at all for that. Imagine if they were told they had to not only pay some good money every month but also had a $2000 deductible - on each family member, and a sizeable co-pay and so even with insurance it isn't a free ride.

If the uninsured don't expect to pay for their new government insurance, just who do they think must pay it for them?

Old 09-20-2009, 08:22 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Obama: Mandate is Not a Tax - George's Bottom Line

What shyster. Even Stephanopoulos can't keep up with his mumbo-jumbo...

I agree, just like Car Insurance is a tax.
Scrap all of these plans, they all bite. Go with Single Payer, Medicare for all.
That will destroy medical liability, establish tort reform.
Your Car and Homeowners Insurance will only have to insure property not Medical and it would save your employer on Workmans Comp and Medical Insurance

Old 09-20-2009, 08:25 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Shouldn't they expect to pay something for health insurance like all the rest of us do? Or who do they expect must pay it for them.

Most uninsured I know have the latest cell phones, unlimited phone service, they have video game players that cost almost as much as a year's insurance, they have the latest games, they have nice cars. They go to concerts.

WOW do you know some strange people.
The uninsured I know fall into 3 categories.

#1. They have been laid off from jobs where they had insurance and have only been able to find very low paying jobs with no insurance or have been unable to find any job at all.

#2. Have a pre-existing condition and are unable to find any insurance company that will cover them.

#3. Are self-employed and in an age group where their premium for health insurance would take 50% of their income.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:

And what are their medical bills? Thousands and thousands a year that they would be paying for insurance??? Why would someone in good health choose to pay thousands of dollars a year to increase the profits of the insurance companies -- and cover those who are so ill that their bills exceed their policy payments -- when they don't need it and want to spend it on other things?

Seems to me that those with insurance want those healthy people who have few if any medical expense to pay for insurance that will never be used so that they can get their insurance cheaper.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:26 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:

I'm uninsured, I'm not demanding it (in fact, I'm quite vocally against the feds getting involved in health care), and I don't have or do any of the things you listed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies