Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 09:04 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endzone View Post
No, don't id people at all when they apply for jobs. This is how it was done from 1600 to 1986 for 386 years. Do you understand that? You did not have to show id or even prove that you SS# was valid prior to 1986!

It is the federal governments job to secure our border. It says so plainly in our Constitution. It's not the job of corporate Amercia to weed out who is legal and illegal. Do you really think corporate America wants that responsibility? The feds forced them to do that. The feds abdicated their constitutional responsibility and put it on corporate America and they did it by design--not in ingorance. That is one of the reason I hate our federal government.
So why didn't you make that argument in the beginning?

[good statement of a thought-out position]
"Our federal govt has failed to do its duty to protect the nation by failing to adequately control who enters the country. They have off-loaded their responsibilities to the employers by requiring employers to do the checks that the govt should have done at point of entry, and this creates red-tape, costs, and annoyance."

[bad statement of position]
Your OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 09:05 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
What DressageGirl said.

It's the people who scream the loudest about stopping immigration and keeping illegals out that have caused the increase in the need to document your status as a citizen. You can't just look at someone and because they are caucasian and can speak english then assume they are U.S. citizens. How silly.
Nor can you look at someone who is obviously Latino or Middle Eastern, who might speak English with a bit of an accent and automatically deem them to be non-citizen or illegal immigrant.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:08 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
its worse if you are mideastern. or 50 years ago oriental.
world events can put u in a bad light.
probably the worse would be WASP, they get blamed for everything.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:08 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
What the heck do you mean? A LOT of our jobs are going to foreigners both legal and illegal. Have you been to a McDonalds lately? What does it matter if they are legal or illegal? My whole point about the I-9 form is that it was a farce. Illegals just invent social security numbers and get all the fake documents they want. It may not necessarily be easy, but it is done a lot. Do you really think the I-9 form is preserving American jobs???
What are you trying to say with the comment about McDonald's? Or are you judging the citizenship of the employees by their looks?

Old 09-20-2009, 09:14 AM

140 posts, read 270,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
So why didn't you make that argument in the beginning?

[good statement of a thought-out position]
"Our federal govt has failed to do its duty to protect the nation by failing to adequately control who enters the country. They have off-loaded their responsibilities to the employers by requiring employers to do the checks that the govt should have done at point of entry, and this creates red-tape, costs, and annoyance."

[bad statement of position]
Your OP.
I respectfully disagree. The emphasis of my post was to show how much the feds stupid decision making PERSONALLY affects me--and not only me but millions and millions of us. Multiply the 200 million in the work force by the number of times (on average) they have changed jobs. That is far more people affected than the number of immigrants (multiplied by the number of times they have changed jobs) since 1986. That's what the feds don't get.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:21 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
I don't mind being checked for citizenship. I mind employers of illegals not getting punished.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:21 AM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,261 times
WOW!!!!!

'....white European look/culture....', ' ..speak perfectly neutral English..',

AND, if you don't have a problem with proving citizenship the OP says
'You must of been born in Mexico.'
'...history lesson for you my Mexican friend.'
'....another foreigner trying to me an American...'
'don't hate it in relation to your piece of crap country that you came from.'

Man, talk about racism!!!!!

Old 09-20-2009, 09:26 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
I don't see a problem with being asked for indentification for a job, credit application, medical insurance, etc. I do have an issue with ILLEGAL residents making use of resources intended for citizens.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:31 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,220,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I don't see a problem with being asked for indentification for a job, credit application, medical insurance, etc. I do have an issue with ILLEGAL residents making use of resources intended for citizens.
I can understand why a potential employer wants to verify that you're a US Citizen, but with the recession, it means that somebody who's looking for a job has to give out their personal information many, many times before they actually get hired. And the more you give out your personal information, the greater your chance of having your identity stolen, right?

And millions of illegals still manage to find work in the USA anyway.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:31 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
You must of been born in Mexico. Prior to 1986 you did not have to prove this at all. I remember walking into a Manpower spot labor halls in the 70s and filing out one form that had a section for name/address/work history and the bottom part was a tear off for what was then a W-4 form for withholding. You had to prove NOTHING! There is a little history lesson for you my Mexican friend.
These days some employers are checking credit reports of potential candidates, let alone ID. You also have to prove that you have a degree, former employment, and referances. I don't know if it's so much of being a citizen than the employer wanting to know who you are.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 09-20-2009 at 09:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies