Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:56 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
My information comes from a well-rounded gathering of psych & socio studies and first-hand victims & their families....as well as law enforcement departments & professionals from all across the country. I think most readers here who disagree with the meat of your argument share the same opinion: that you are not as well-informed as you think you are; and that you are trigger-happy to classify us as "disordered". Pot, meet kettle.
Pipers, why don't you go to Tennessee already? We have enough ignorant people in the blue states to spare one.

You're right, most readers here will agree with you. That's because most readers get their information from Oprah Winfrey or Bill O'Reilly rather than surveying a variety of academic sources. Most people are bigoted clods; I never expected anything different.

I also know victims and their families, perpetrators and their families, witnesses and their families. etc. I know a lot of people who are technically victims but have not been affected in any measurable way, because they haven't been conditioned to think of themselves as victims. Those people fly under the radar, and they are never heard precisely because they aren't on television screaming about how horribly abused they were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
You have two kids and you arent curious about what KIND of "unlawful contact with a minor" this guy was convicted of? Maybe the guy likes it that you're not curious to know.
If he offers to babysit, we'll have a chat about it. If he doesn't, I'm no more fussed than I would be over him having an old parking ticket.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:06 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Unbelievable the defense of sexual predators by a certain poster on this site. I personally have no qualms with calling that individual out by name, but the TOS prevents me from saying what I really think.

I'll take the high road though, and pray that your kids or grandkids are never subjected to the evil perversions of others. I'm sure they'd be glad to know that their parent or grandparent fully supported those with evil intentions.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:07 AM

487 posts, read 636,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
A young child's privates are more important than a preditors privacy.
Why are you so concerned with the privates of young children? Its creepy.
The sex offender list makes it more likely they'll act again, since they can never repent and be given another chance it won't make much of a difference.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'll take the high road though, and pray that your kids or grandkids are never subjected to the evil perversions of others. I'm sure they'd be glad to know that their parent or grandparent fully supported those with evil intentions, though.
What a high road indeed. You must be a good man, because you PRAY...in between tacitly celebrating violence against human beings who have sexual development problems you can't begin to understand, and don't really care to. Congratulations, sir, you are truly an enlightened person.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
The sex offender list makes it more likely they'll act again, since they can never repent and be given another chance it won't make much of a difference.
Not to mention the even more salient point, or so I would think, from the point of view of "conservatives"--it also lets all of the offenders know who each other is, so they can 'network' if they so decide. Doesn't that bother anyone slightly?

Old 09-22-2009, 08:18 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Pipers, why don't you go to Tennessee already? We have enough ignorant people in the blue states to spare one.

You're right, most readers here will agree with you. That's because most readers get their information from Oprah Winfrey or Bill O'Reilly rather than surveying a variety of academic sources. Most people are bigoted clods; I never expected anything different.

I also know victims and their families, perpetrators and their families, witnesses and their families. etc. I know a lot of people who are technically victims but have not been affected in any measurable way, because they haven't been conditioned to think of themselves as victims. Those people fly under the radar, and they are never heard precisely because they aren't on television screaming about how horribly abused they were.

NO doubt you do.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:20 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,287 times
CJ202, when all is said & done and the essay is handed back with a grade; I hope you will share some of it with us. I'd really be interested in knowing
what you have to say; especially after hearing some of this heated debate between both sides. (well, those of us that know how to debate...not
those here who generalize entire groups of people based on political slants.)

Old 09-22-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
NO doubt you do.
Is that a personal attack?

Old 09-22-2009, 08:22 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Hm. For me, it would be the level of sex offender. If it is the case of some 19 year old who was busted having sex with his 15 year old girlfriend, that would probably be the exception. For every other type of sex offender, I feel populace safety trumps privacy issues. The public has a right to know that a rapist, child molester, etc. is in their midst. There is a high chance these people will re-offend. How many cases are there where children have gotten killed and/or raped by a repeat sex offender. As a mother and a woman, I feel very passionately against sex offenders, and as far as I'm concerned people who engage in such offenses have historically been shunned for a reason.

Last edited by riaelise; 09-22-2009 at 08:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies