Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 01:05 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Very good article.
It's not an article; it's an editorial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 01:40 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
It's not an article; it's an editorial.

And a very good one!

Old 09-21-2009, 01:46 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
And a very good one!
Some think so. That's their right.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:48 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,208,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1974 View Post
Please let us not forget . Sen. Robert Byrd (WV-D) Wikipedia. The Dixiecrats who opposed Pres.LBJ on civil rights.Gov. Geogre Wallace (D)
Funny how the wing nuts always bring back Byrd when in fact Byrd saw the error of his ways 50 plus years ago and has since made amends...

Old 09-21-2009, 03:16 PM

646 posts, read 801,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Funny how the wing nuts always bring back Byrd when in fact Byrd saw the error of his ways 50 plus years ago and has since made amends...
Typical liberal double talk.The democrats have the only former klansman in their party,so he says I am sorry and everything is ok.A republican gets caught apologizes and the liberals still call for his head.You guys amaze me.The facts are Byrd said the N word as early as the late 90's.Jesse Jackson and his "hymie town remarks".I would say that today white southerners and blacks coexist better than in the north or out west.So please,I would say that there is more anti-southerner talk than any other people,we have been the most talked about,ridiculed,stereotyped,and written against people to date.Also don't forget,while you sit on your sofa eating your mini ice cream sandwiches over 60% of the military are those same southerners you bad mouth.So eat up,while southerners are dying for your freedom

Old 09-21-2009, 03:44 PM

29 posts, read 36,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
Typical liberal double talk.The democrats have the only former klansman in their party,so he says I am sorry and everything is ok.A republican gets caught apologizes and the liberals still call for his head.You guys amaze me.The facts are Byrd said the N word as early as the late 90's.Jesse Jackson and his "hymie town remarks".I would say that today white southerners and blacks coexist better than in the north or out west.So please,I would say that there is more anti-southerner talk than any other people,we have been the most talked about,ridiculed,stereotyped,and written against people to date.Also don't forget,while you sit on your sofa eating your mini ice cream sandwiches over 60% of the military are those same southerners you bad mouth.So eat up,while southerners are dying for your freedom
Many GREAT points, Mary Phagan. I love the end part where you mention that there are more Southerners dying for the freedom of these left wing nut jobs who have the audacity to call us racist. I challenge them look at a wounded vet (from the South) and say "Thank you for being willing to die for our freedom." OR better yet, look at the widows or widowers, family members of those HEROS who've died and tell them "I appreciate what your family member did on my behalf." My sweet southern children NEVER fail to thank anyone in uniform for "protecting our country." THAT is something I instilled in them when they were very small. Now it is an immediate response when they see someone who they look at as a HERO.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:52 PM

646 posts, read 801,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Bella View Post
Many GREAT points, Mary Phagan. I love the end part where you mention that there are more Southerners dying for the freedom of these left wing nut jobs who have the audacity to call us racist. I challenge them look at a wounded vet (from the South) and say "Thank you for being willing to die for our freedom." OR better yet, look at the widows or widowers, family members of those HEROS who've died and tell them "I appreciate what your family member did on my behalf." My sweet southern children NEVER fail to thank anyone in uniform for "protecting our country." THAT is something I instilled in them when they were very small. Now it is an immediate response when they see someone who they look at as a HERO.
Very good post J E Bella,I can't rep you again yet.But that is part of being a southerner,God,country and family.Thank you for raising your children this way,if only the rest of the country were as proud as southerners then it would be a much better place.They would rather sit back and talk about folks they have no clue about.They rent "Mississippi Burning" and this is their southern experience.Give me a break.I am a very proud southerner and again,I have met many northerners (many do retire here)that are closet racists,maybe it is easier that way,maybe they can still feel "holy" by doing this.But please don't judge me blue staters

Old 09-21-2009, 04:07 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Bella View Post
I am a proud, Southern woman with deep Conservative roots. I dare you to call me a racist just because I am proud to be a southerner (you'd be amazed by our hospitality unless you start throwing around racist as an adjective used to describe us), AND I am just as proud to have my deep Conservative roots. Those two characteristics have poured themselves over into every other aspect of my life including my relationship with my Lord and my children. WHAT IS RACIST ABOUT THAT??
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I am with you. Those who make blanket statements about any geoghaphical group are often more bigotted than anyone and not well informed. Most of them haven't even been the areas they proclaim to know so much about. They take the actions of a few and assume we all feel that way.

Nita
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I agree. I am a Southern transplant. Grew up in the North and let me tell you, there is plenty racism to go around up north. They're no more "progressive" or "color blind." In fact, in many instances, they're more racist.
Y'all got way too defensive (not surprised) and, as a result, missed the point. Read this closely... it should help:
"As long as racism is tolerated within their party, Southern Republicans shouldn't act too surprised when they get pushed on the issue"

Old 09-21-2009, 04:50 PM

29 posts, read 36,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Y'all got way too defensive (not surprised) and, as a result, missed the point. Read this closely... it should help:
"As long as racism is tolerated within their party, Southern Republicans shouldn't act too surprised when they get pushed on the issue"
Ok, so since you've missed the point, all I can say is "bite it."

Old 09-21-2009, 05:06 PM

37,174 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Whatever happened to Trent Lott, anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies