Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 06:16 PM

767 posts, read 489,784 times

Advertisements

I agree 100% with their stance on lower taxes, control of government spending, and holding these crooked politicians accountable. I thought they were going to be a formidable force to be reckoned with and hold both parties accountable. Instead they have become lackey's for the GOP. The New World order wackjobs within the movement have also hurt the cause. It's truly a shame because I felt that the party could have kept Obama and the Democrats in check. Instead it's spend spend spend. Business as usual in Washington. I was hoping that a new party would have been formed. A truly fiscally conservative party that roots out pork spending. Instead they have latched onto the GOP. We don't need to vote in more GOP members, we need a 3rd party that represents middle America. What could have been.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:23 PM

345 posts, read 643,369 times
That's roughly how I feel about the Tea Party. My thoughts are that Republicans saw them as a potential threat early on, and acted quickly to get cozy and eventually absorb them. That, to me, was what destroyed their credibility. They billed themselves as grassroots, but had no problems hopping in bed with the Republicans.

Last edited by PureNarcotic; 08-13-2010 at 06:37 PM..

Old 08-13-2010, 06:33 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
I agree 100% with their stance on lower taxes, control of government spending, and holding these crooked politicians accountable. I thought they were going to be a formidable force to be reckoned with and hold both parties accountable. Instead they have become lackey's for the GOP. The New World order wackjobs within the movement have also hurt the cause. It's truly a shame because I felt that the party could have kept Obama and the Democrats in check. Instead it's spend spend spend. Business as usual in Washington. I was hoping that a new party would have been formed. A truly fiscally conservative party that roots out pork spending. Instead they have latched onto the GOP. We don't need to vote in more GOP members, we need a 3rd party that represents middle America. What could have been.
Neocons? Who in the Tea Party is a neocon?

"lackeys for the GOP"? The Tea Party is devouring the remnants of the GOP.

What pork spending are you talking about? Pork has declined 10%-ish since 2009 (and now that Robert Byrd is dead it'll decline even further).

"After Republicans took over Congress in 1994, pork-barrel projects started to be used as a currency of re-election. Over the following decade, they became a currency of corruption, and the explosion in earmarks to their peak at $29 billion in 2006 helped erase the Republican majority. The 9,129 projects in the 2010 Congressional Pig Book represent a 10.2 percent decline from the 10,160 projects identified in fiscal year 2009, and the $16.5 billion in cost is a 15.5 percent decrease from the $19.6 billion in pork in fiscal year 2009."

This is a hugely interesting page - describing pork projects that passed for 2010 - 2010 Pig Book Summary

Old 08-13-2010, 06:51 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
Let me ask: are you pretty young? The reason I ask is because I am 55 years old. I remember (vaguely; I was nine) the 1964 Republican National Convention and (well) the night when President Nixon resigned.

The reason I ask is this: movements like the present "Tea Party" occur every ten or twenty years or so. It is not something unusual. Living through the 'late 60s early 70s' period (Vietnam, etc) I well recall new movements that magazines like Time, Newsweek or Life (then quite potent) would 'document' and predict a wholesale change in the political landscape due to some rising political movement (Hippies! Yippies! Green Earth!).

Never happened, and not likely to in the near future. Like it or not, the vast majority of citizens of the USA like the 'two party' system. People like me know that, despite the problems we have with our Democrat and Republican parties, we have remained a remarkably stable society for a long time. No one wants to become like Italy with their hundreds of political parties and inability to get anything done.

Third parties rise up on occasion and can help by holding 'the fire' to the two parties feet. They can influence, to a small extent, elections, but not, in my opinion, to the extent that they change the ultimate course of our history.

Remember this: every person (at least, one who follows politics) believes that the time that he or she is living in, and the next election, is 'important' because he or she is participating in it. Because they are participating and have some emotional attachment to the outcome, they come to believe that 'this is THE most important election in all of US history!" It is not part of the human psyche to think "well, this election I will take part in is not important'. Go to your library and look up old newspapers dating back to around 1800, and you will see that this is true.

To many, no period of history is more important than the time they live in. Yet, in a hundred years, people may look back and call this period "boring", and political science students would get a 'D" for writing about it.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:44 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,033,284 times
Ignore the hijackers and especially the biased news reporters,our local tea partys are going strong as ever,rural America aint buying the BS and we are tired of paying for food and housing for lazy obama voters living 2000 miles away. the TEA PARTY is very much alive

Old 08-13-2010, 07:46 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
The Tea Party was taken over by professional Lobbyists like Dick Armey and lost whatever credibility it might have had

Old 08-13-2010, 07:58 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times
Agreed, that's why I'm a libertarian, not a tea partier. I have no desire to be aligned with the likes of Sarah Palin.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The Tea Party was taken over by professional Lobbyists like Dick Armey and lost whatever credibility it might have had
do you sit around making this stuff up or are you being spoon fed like a true obamatron?the TEA PARTY is a true grassroots movement by Americans concerned about our future and the direction this gov is taking, not leading us. we have no central leader other than ourselves in our own communities. but keep reading what the msm prints cause it's obvious you haven't done any research on your own

Old 08-13-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Agreed, that's why I'm a libertarian, not a tea partier. I have no desire to be aligned with the likes of Sarah Palin.
folled you once, second time shame on you

Old 08-13-2010, 08:11 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Like they would have ever had credibility in your eyes anyways. It's kind of difficult to "lose credibility" with people they never had any credibility with to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies