Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why Did You Buy an SUV?
I Have a Large Family to Haul Around. 22 16.30%
I Feel Safer in a Higher-Profile Vehicle. 26 19.26%
Our Weather Mandates Four-Wheel Drive. 15 11.11%
My Career Requires That I Own One. 8 5.93%
I Have a High-Income and am Not Concerned about Rising Fuel Prices. 23 17.04%
I Just Prefer the Way They Look and Their Overall Styling 19 14.07%
I'm Actually Regretting Buying One Now 4 2.96%
I Inherited It, Won It, Found It, etc. 2 1.48%
I Don't Truly Know Why/Impulse Purchase 1 0.74%
Shut Up You Stupid Tree-Hugging Yankee Liberal! 53 39.26%
Other 28 20.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 09:23 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,531,511 times

Advertisements

I drive a '92 Ford F 150. It's paid for. It's comfortable for me. And I've seen the way these fools that use I-75 drive...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 09:32 PM

562 posts, read 659,872 times
My answer:

I Just Prefer the Way They Look and Their Overall Styling

The price of gasoline COULD come down. There is no reason for the high price of gas (I work in the offshore Oil industry and know better!), and to my mind it is probably being pushed by our own government to force people to get more fuel efficient, environmentally friendly vehicles. It doesn't work with me - I love my Land Cruisers and Land Rover.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:40 PM

562 posts, read 659,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
My internet server went down shortly after I posted this poll, and I'm just getting the opportunity to get back to it now to view the results. I just wanted to express my gratitude for how civilized this touchy topic was handled by everyone. Thank you!

Next, I want to apologize to people like SpeedyAZ who I seem to have offended with my judgmental opinions about SUVs. It was wrong of me to make a couple of comments I made in the other thread about the gasoline protest, and I'm sorry for that.

In any event, I just want to reiterate the fact that "Kingsnkali" summed up my sentiments perfectly. I work at a local Lowe's Home Improvement store, and I'm continually finding myself seeing people pulling up alone in Hummers, Suburbans, Navigators, Escalades, Excursions, etc. and leaving with a bag of screws and a spray-bottle of RoundUp! Yep, you really needed a vehicle that gulps our fossil fuels for that "heavy" purchase, didn't you? I'm just not understanding why so many of the city slickers and suburbanites in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area flock to the allure of oversized SUVs for their one child and occasional drive two blocks away to the supermarket. The argument of "it's a free country so I'll waste fuel if I want" is truly SELFISH and IDIOTIC! If gasoline was an infinite, renewable source of energy, then I'd say have at it as much as you'd like, and I'd butt out of the topic. However, when demand is rising and supply is dwindling, prices are going to spike for everyone based on that sort of selfishness! You rural dwellers may need something high-profile to navigate the snow drifts, but what's the excuse for the city slicker from Scranton with one child to be driving an Escalade or a Hummer when they don't haul anything and live in a city where they plow the streets? Can someone explain that to me please?
First, No-one has to JUSTIFY themselves for what they drive. Second, where did you get your information - Fuel Shortage? There are over 4,000 Offshore Oil and Natural gas platforms off the coast of Louisiana which supply the majority of crude oil which is processed into gasoline. As for hauling things, I used my GAS GUZZLING Land Rover to haul loads of lumber home from Home Dump on my roof rack. I also use it to run down to the convenience store to buy a lotto ticket every now and then. If I do win the lottery, I'll be parking several more GAS GUZZLERS in my garage, if for nothing else than to tick people like you off Actually, I just like 4x4's, and that's all the excuse I need to own one or two or three.... or ten..

Old 05-05-2007, 10:28 PM

65 posts, read 341,141 times
Q: why do people drive SUVs?
A: so the rest of us have someone to look down to

SUV - the 'S' stands for SUCKERS!!

Old 05-05-2007, 11:20 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,048 times
[ but what's the excuse for the city slicker from Scranton with one child to be driving an Escalade or a Hummer when they don't haul anything and live in a city where they plow the streets? Can someone explain that to me please?[/quote]

When did they plow the streets in Scranton and as far as the excuse read the previous post, we live in a free country and that means that I can spend my god damn hard earned money on any truck I want, I can drive over animals and tree huggers if I choose also, so go complain to MR. Bush and see where that gets you because really he is the only one that is responsible for the price of fuel right now and no one else is to blame. There is alot of fuel going to the war machine and we are paying for it here at home.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:35 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times
I personally don't like the large suvs I would never own one. I've always owned Audi cars. Always loved german cars with their great handling. Suv's are too big and cumbersome and don't have the best handling. But if people love them then thats their business.

Old 05-06-2007, 03:34 PM

812 posts, read 4,082,826 times
My primary car is a Volvo sedan. I like european cars, and for running errands, I'm sedan all the way, but for hauling stuff, people, travelling long distances... the room is nice, and owning a bag car for use in those purposes would be a must for me. I also prefer driving an SUV in the snow. Even though my Volvo is great in the snow, when its time to drive up to Tahoe, I just like driving up the pass in the bigger cars, especially in bad conditions.

btw, I'm not too onboard with this referring to a car as an "investment." A new car loses thousands of dollars the second you drive it off the lot. Cars aren't investments. They're equipment that depreciates.... unless you own a 1970 Cuda or something of that nature.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:32 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
[ but what's the excuse for the city slicker from Scranton with one child to be driving an Escalade or a Hummer when they don't haul anything and live in a city where they plow the streets? Can someone explain that to me please?
When did they plow the streets in Scranton and as far as the excuse read the previous post, we live in a free country and that means that I can spend my god damn hard earned money on any truck I want, I can drive over animals and tree huggers if I choose also, so go complain to MR. Bush and see where that gets you because really he is the only one that is responsible for the price of fuel right now and no one else is to blame. There is alot of fuel going to the war machine and we are paying for it here at home.[/quote]

Niiiiiice.

What does God have to do with money anyways? Watch your mouth, there are some people like me who have children around.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:46 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,031,245 times
I don't drive an SUV, but I will admit to owning and driving a couple of big block muscle cars. I'm into that kind of thing.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:37 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,333,588 times
because 36" mud tires look stupid on a civic

actually we have a civic too, as a commuter car so :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies