Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why Did You Buy an SUV?
I Have a Large Family to Haul Around. 22 16.30%
I Feel Safer in a Higher-Profile Vehicle. 26 19.26%
Our Weather Mandates Four-Wheel Drive. 15 11.11%
My Career Requires That I Own One. 8 5.93%
I Have a High-Income and am Not Concerned about Rising Fuel Prices. 23 17.04%
I Just Prefer the Way They Look and Their Overall Styling 19 14.07%
I'm Actually Regretting Buying One Now 4 2.96%
I Inherited It, Won It, Found It, etc. 2 1.48%
I Don't Truly Know Why/Impulse Purchase 1 0.74%
Shut Up You Stupid Tree-Hugging Yankee Liberal! 53 39.26%
Other 28 20.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 12:29 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times

Advertisements

As gas prices near me are at $2.95/gallon for regular unleaded and are about to eclipse that dreaded $3/gallon milestone, I was just wondering if those of you who chose to buy Hummers, Land Rovers, Navigators, Excursions, Escalades, Expeditions, Suburbans, etc. could somehow justify the rationale behind your purchases? To me, it seems like all you've done is increased our nation's demand for fossil fuels, thereby increasing the price we ALL have to pay, even those of us who took the initiative to "go green" and either have already bought or will soon be buying hybrid vehicles. Am I right or wrong? Why did you need a vehicle like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 12:54 PM

36,417 posts, read 16,024,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
As gas prices near me are at $2.95/gallon for regular unleaded and are about to eclipse that dreaded $3/gallon milestone, I was just wondering if those of you who chose to buy Hummers, Land Rovers, Navigators, Excursions, Escalades, Expeditions, Suburbans, etc. could somehow justify the rationale behind your purchases? To me, it seems like all you've done is increased our nation's demand for fossil fuels, thereby increasing the price we ALL have to pay, even those of us who took the initiative to "go green" and either have already bought or will soon be buying hybrid vehicles. Am I right or wrong? Why did you need a vehicle like that?

I agree with you, what is it with you people, LOL, how can you afford it? I have a 96 ford ranger that has been my best vehicle ever. I am going to be looking for an at least 30-40mpg, oh!! and, and, why can't I get a good car for under 20,000 anymore? I believe people can drive whatever they want and they are good looking and I would love to live somewhere that required 4 wheel drive, but they are sooooo expensive and right now the gas prices are killing me.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:02 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
LOL - define SUV please. I get better mileage from my "SUV" than I did in my minivan.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:10 PM

332 posts, read 1,625,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
LOL - define SUV please. I get better mileage from my "SUV" than I did in my minivan.
I agree. SUV is kind of a broad term. Some small "SUVs" get decent mileage (plus, some are now "hybridized"). Some small sportscars get lousy mileage. All depends on what's under the hood. Maybe you should phrase your question "Why do you drive a vehicle that gets less than X miles per gallon?"

Old 05-03-2007, 01:17 PM

464 posts, read 752,957 times
I love my Suburban and I can't say never, but really doubt I will ever drive a small car again. Safety out weighs $$$ every time.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:25 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,653,981 times
I agree w/madreof3, it's become a safety issue for me. However, I am willing to trade for a Volvo wagon any day. Especially when it takes $80 to fill big Bertha up!

Old 05-03-2007, 01:34 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
SUVs are a waste. I cant stand em. There are many better alternatives that handle better, get better gas mileage, arent as dangerous to other cars, and are quicker, etc. (Subaru makes MANY alternatives). To me, the whole SUV scene is a look-at-me, look-at-me pile of crap. I know many people who buy them just because theyre "cool" (although SUVs are about as dorky as a 1980s station wagon). I just shrug my shoulders and think how dumb 1/2 these people really are. Especially the Navigator/Escalade/Land Cruiser/Range Rover/GX470/Commander/Hummer/etc crowd. Ugh.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:56 PM

322 posts, read 1,234,533 times
We drive our big-a** trucks for a few reasons...one, it's kind of a necessity where we live, two, the Yukon XL and Tahoe are because we have a big family and three, with all the highway and gravel road driving we do (and have to since that's all the roads we have around us) we feel much safer in a bigger gas-guzzler.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:57 PM

633 posts, read 2,541,234 times
Because I wanted to and it's large enough for all of our stuff when we travel.

And, to reference the first post....I wish our gas was $2.95/gal. Today as I drove to work it is $3.37/gal

Old 05-03-2007, 01:58 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Thumbs up Front Wheel Drive or Subaru is the way to go

Gas prices will likely go up in the near term as the summer driving season approaches. Also, many of the smaller cars are getting safer with time, and have better crash test ratings as well as front and side airbags. High profile SUVs, especially older ones, have a higher risk of rolling over as well. If you need a car with all wheel drive than Subaru has good alternatives with many models with 4 cylinder engines and excellent crash test ratings. The MPG on these cars is typically upper 20s on the highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies