Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 01:16 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,246,106 times

Advertisements

My wife and I attended the Eid Al-Fitr celebration yesterday at the brand-new Mosque in our city. As is always the case at these observations, we were treated with the utmost respect and warmth, although we are not Muslims. It's a little disconcerting to have one's spouse spirited away by a crowd of veiled women -- not to be seen again for several hours -- but the brother- and sister-hood among the Muslim folk is so full and genuine that it is a joy to be with them.

I spent the full hour and a half at the Eid service in the Mosque (on the men's side, of course; my wife told me later that the women watched the proceedings on a big-screen TV in the separate women's side of the Mosque). I witnessed the prayers, the openness and brotherhood, the diversity of men from the Middle East, Africa, Asia, and Europe sharing a holiday spirit, but I want to especially comment on the sermon (I do not know the Arabic term for it) preached by a visiting Sheikh from Jordan.

I did not know what to expect from this guy, since he appeared to be a relatively well-known heavy-hitter and minor celebrity. He was tall, bearded, in a brown robe and white turban/hat -- he looked, frankly and unfortunately, a lot like Osama Bin Laden...

His message, however, could not have been more benevolent. He gave it in both Arabic and English so that there was no misunderstanding -- after all, there were at least seven or eight languages other than English being used by the congregation (Farsi, Swahili, Bosnian, Turkish, Bahasa Malaysian, Hindi, etc.). He spoke of the use of the Eid celebration as a way to reawaken the spirit of neighborliness and care for others. He told of the need to do good deeds anonymously, in secret if possible, rather than seek out the thanks and gratitude of others less fortunate than us or in financial, physical, or family distress; of the need to build up one's balance of goodness in perparation for Judgement Day; of the importance of treating neighbors as one's brothers and sisters, whether they are Muslim, Christian, or adherents of any other religion. All in all, this man's sermon could have been delivered in just about any good Christian church on Easter Sunday or at Christmastime...

Following the ceremonies, there was an open-air feast of foods from the many countries represented in the congregation. I shook a lot of hands and received a lot of smiles. I was also thanked profusely for honoring the Mosque by spending time with the congregation and sharing in their fellowship.

My wife and I agreed, in the car on the way home, that it had been a lovely way to spend a sunny Sunday morning. If more were known about the lives of everyday Muslim people, instead of the focus that has been placed on the fanatics and mentally unbalanced among them, the country would not be so resistant to the real diversity and sense of brotherhood that we will need in the coming decades. Remember that those of us who are white, from a Christian background, and with limited knowledge of the customs and beliefs of others, will shrink into a minority within the lifetime of our grandchildren.

And -- just as a footnote to establish my bona fides here, we left the Mosque and went to a Senior Amateur baseball game. My son played centerfield and batted cleanup. He went two for four with a double and two ribbies, and pegged a guy out trying to stretch a double into a triple with a one-hop strike from deep right-center. His very pregnant wife sat with us in the shade and sipped lemonade.

What a beautiful Sunday.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 09-21-2009 at 01:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 01:38 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,603,231 times
That does sound like a beautiful Sunday - good for you and your wife that you were brave enough to do something out of the ordinary.
I am always afraid that by 'crashing' another ethnic/religious/race's holiday that I would be unwelcome, so I've never done it. I've always been curious, though.

I have found that when religion keeps the hell away from politics, it is actually beneficial to the community (and this from an atheist). Whether the religion is Islam or Chrisitan or Hindu or whatever it is safe to say most religions have a 'good heart' and 'good intentions'.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
That does sound like a beautiful Sunday - good for you and your wife that you were brave enough to do something out of the ordinary.
I am always afraid that by 'crashing' another ethnic/religious/race's holiday that I would be unwelcome, so I've never done it. I've always been curious, though.

I have found that when religion keeps the hell away from politics, it is actually beneficial to the community (and this from an atheist). Whether the religion is Islam or Chrisitan or Hindu or whatever it is safe to say most religions have a 'good heart' and 'good intentions'.
I didn't mean to give a wrong impression -- we were invited. We have gone several tmes, but this was our first visit to the new Mosque.

I did some pro bono consulting work for the local Muslim community in the past. Part of building up MY good karma. (I've done the same for local Buddhists and Sikhs, as well.)

After all, you never know. They might be right. Wouldn't want to wake up dead and find out that Allah/Buddha/Krishna is really in charge after all!

Old 09-21-2009, 02:23 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,892,371 times
Years ago, back when I first began to take out of state contracts, I landed in Puyallup, Washington.
Knew no one. Didn't dare go to the bars, what with it being so close to the city and all ... I was in my 20 somethings.

On a Sunday, I ventured into Tacoma and was looking for a small sit-down place to eat, when I happened across one on the K Street hill. I went in, sat down and ordered. While waiting for my order over a pretty good cup of coffee, in came a group of Sunday folks ... loud, happy and laughing.

The place was small. But in no time, it was filled with folks from the church down the street.

It wasn't even considered odd that a white guy was in there .. me.
Conversation was such that prompted me to attend church the following Sunday and it was a real treat for me. I'd never been to a black church in my life .... The Sunday hell and damnation and blessed be the little children sermon was an eye opener ... That Sunday preaching will blow your doors off ... and sing? They all carried a good tune, clapping to the rhythm, with amen's and praises .. and as I look back on the experience, I'll have to say that it was one of the best times of my life ...

I made some pretty good friends on that day ... friends I have even to this day.

I wish folks in this country would experience new things, new cultural happenings, more often.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Years ago, back when I first began to take out of state contracts, I landed in Puyallup, Washington.
Knew no one. Didn't dare go to the bars, what with it being so close to the city and all ... I was in my 20 somethings.

On a Sunday, I ventured into Tacoma and was looking for a small sit-down place to eat, when I happened across one on the K Street hill. I went in, sat down and ordered. While waiting for my order over a pretty good cup of coffee, in came a group of Sunday folks ... loud, happy and laughing.

The place was small. But in no time, it was filled with folks from the church down the street.

It wasn't even considered odd that a white guy was in there .. me.
Conversation was such that prompted me to attend church the following Sunday and it was a real treat for me. I'd never been to a black church in my life .... The Sunday hell and damnation and blessed be the little children sermon was an eye opener ... That Sunday preaching will blow your doors off ... and sing? They all carried a good tune, clapping to the rhythm, with amen's and praises .. and as I look back on the experience, I'll have to say that it was one of the best times of my life ...

I made some pretty good friends on that day ... friends I have even to this day.

I wish folks in this country would experience new things, new cultural happenings, more often.
Right you are, Texas. That's what "celebrating diversity" is all about -- not to separate and politicize us, but to make us remember that we're all brothers and sisters.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:31 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,722,892 times
I was volunteering (serving lunch) at Salvation Army yesterday and during the event, one of the Salvation Army employees entered the kitchen, asking for five plates with no ham. Then he says, five muslims are in the group. Almost as if nobody heard him, he repeated twice... there are five muslims. The guy who was serving ham, mumbled: "we heard you the first time. I'm a Jew and I don't eat ham either".We all smiled and continued.

Eid Mubaarak!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies