Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 01:33 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,273 times

Advertisements

It bothers me, but it bothers me even more that they don't read it before they vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 01:34 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I've read too that the lobbyists are the ones that prepare the bills "to help" the politicians.
Lobbyists are bad enough but now our Congressmen and ladies are actually letting them write up "draft" legislation for them.

Obama Speaks: Lobbyists not welcome in my administration
This is also done at the state level. Years ago, when Montana Power was still around, the company wrote all of the power legislation for the statehouse in Helena ...

This has been a common practice for years.

Since most, if not all, of our elected officials are lawyers, very few of them are aware of just what makes a power company or an insurance company tick.

We don't elect retired energy/power commissioners, or folks who are versed in the intricate details of any industry ... we only elect lawyers.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:37 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
I've read too that the lobbyists are the ones that prepare the bills "to help" the politicians. Lobbyists are bad enough but now our Congressmen and ladies are actually letting them write up "draft" legislation for them.
Same as it ever was. Have you checked the First Amendment?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

That last part is LOBBYING. You can do it yourself. You can hire someone to do it. You can join a group that hires people to do it. Interest groups can do it. Corporations and industries can do it. Unions can do it. Professions can do it. Pretty much everyone can do it because it's a right under the Constitution.

Meanwhile, since 2007, both Congress and the White House have passed or implemented the toughest restrictions on inappropriate lobbying activity that have existed in the history of the country. What else do you want them to do?

Old 09-21-2009, 01:38 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Do you have a link or something to support this, or that actually says who has written what bill? I can't form an opinion unless I know that is actually happening.
It comes directly from Glenn Beck.

You should really state your source OP.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
20,000 staffers... LOL you call George Soros' groups like the Weather Underground and Apollo Alliance "staffers"? There are NOT 20,000 staffers behind congress.
I had a friend who worked in a couple congressional offices. Let's see... Each had an office back home and one in DC. Each office had, maybe 6-10 people in it. That is a very rough estimate. It might be more like 5-8 per office. Even if they had 10 employees per office that's more like 10,000 not 20,000 staffers. And, yes my friend wrote all the speeches and everything else. The congress person only approved it.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
But lobbyists are NOT government staff.
So what? Neither are you. Do you expect your representatives to pay any attention to you at all?

Old 09-21-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
20,000 staffers... LOL you call George Soros' groups like the Weather Underground and Apollo Alliance "staffers"? There are NOT 20,000 staffers behind congress.
Look it up. You might look a little smarter that way...

Old 09-21-2009, 01:49 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
I have absolutely no problem with anyone writing legislation, whether it is "Joe the Plumber" or my neighbor's French Poodle, I don't care where the legislation originates. I only care that my representatives have actually read it before they vote on it, and I will hold them accountable on their vote.

In many cases, I do not want my representative to write the legislation, because they are usually ignorant on the topic which leads to very bad law. I want someone who actually knows what the problem is and how to fix it writing the legislation.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:52 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,064,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Look it up. You might look a little smarter that way...
There are not 20,000 WH staffers working on ANYTHING. There are not even 20,000 WH staffers to begin with.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I have absolutely no problem with anyone writing legislation, whether it is "Joe the Plumber" or my neighbor's French Poodle, I don't care where the legislation originates. I only care that my representatives have actually read it before they vote on it, and I will hold them accountable on their vote.

In many cases, I do not want my representative to write the legislation, because they are usually ignorant on the topic which leads to very bad law. I want someone who actually knows what the problem is and how to fix it writing the legislation.
Well lobbyists are paid by outside entities. Of course it's in their best interests that any legislation benefit their true employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies