Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 07:27 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
But he was shot dead in Memphis Tennessee.
Next time do the research, so that you will know that his assasin was from the North. Also, where are you from? Maybe we can make a list of all the atrocities committed by your region of the country. I wasn't alive during the Civil War or before the Civil Rights movement, but because I am from the South you assume that I am racist. That is bigoted and assinine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 07:31 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
The North was the whole reason slavery existed. Northern textile mills WILLINGLY and KNOWINGLY accepted Southern cotton for nearly a century. Hell, those same mills in the North even accepted Southern cotton DURING the war. If the North had such moral high ground, why not block Northern mills from accepting Southern cotton? That would have ended the conflict before it began. Instead, war was intentionally sought so Northern bankers could seize every last railroad, industry, and port in the South.
Most Northern states had outlawed slavery before the signing and ratification of the U.S. Constitution is 1797. Yes the North had slavery but the South choose to KEEP slavery as the foundation of its economic system.

Even after the Civil War the South simply couldn't tolerate a social sysgtem NOT based WHITE SUPREMACY. Therefore every tactic possible was used legal or illegal to perserve the "Southern" way of life.

Can you explained to why the South continued to attempt to subjugate Black people with domestic terrorism by the Klu Klux Klan and with laws like the Black Codes and Jim Crow laws? Can you explain to me why so many in the South stood against the marriage between black people and white people until well into the 20th century? Why did Southerners fight so hard against voting rights for Black people?

Simply put at its core the "Southern" way of life was structured to deprive Black people of econonmic and poltical power at all cost. So the entire issue of the "Southern" way of life goes way beyond the issue of slavery.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
Next time do the research, so that you will know that his assasin was from the North. Also, where are you from? Maybe we can make a list of all the atrocities committed by your region of the country. I wasn't alive during the Civil War or before the Civil Rights movement, but because I am from the South you assume that I am racist. That is bigoted and assinine.
Go back and look at my prior post in this thread. Please show where I accused you personally of being a racist. It's not YOU that I necessarily have a problem with. I never met you, I don't know you.

I do have a problem with Southerns that profess "Southern Pride" but do nothing to repudiate the racism that has historically so much a part of the history of the South.

My comments have mainly focused in the history of the South and how racism was so much of part of the Southern economic and social structure of the region.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Go back and look at my prior post in this thread. Please show where I accused you personally of being a racist. It's not YOU that I necessarily have a problem with. I never met you, I don't know you.

I do have a problem with Southerns that profess "Southern Pride" but do nothing to repudiate the racism that has historically so much a part of the history of the South.

My comments have mainly focused in the history of the South and how racism was so much of part of the Southern economic and social structure of the region.

I am a Southerner that has Southern pride. I don't feel like I have to apologize for something I had no part in perpetuating. I am not racist and have never owned a slave. You should not judge the South by our past, anymore than we should judge any other section of the nation by their past.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:36 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Most Northern states had outlawed slavery before the signing and ratification of the U.S. Constitution is 1797. Yes the North had slavery but the South choose to KEEP slavery as the foundation of its economic system.
Then why didn't, as they gradually abolished slavery (in a way as to cause no financial inconvenience), the northeastern states also not outlaw the slave-trade??? Could it be many made a good living off of it? Heaven forbid. Why didn't they refuse to buy Southern cotton produced by slaves?

Quote:
Even after the Civil War the South simply couldn't tolerate a social sysgtem NOT based WHITE SUPREMACY. Therefore every tactic possible was used legal or illegal to perserve the "Southern" way of life.
Oh yes, and the record is clear as to just how accepting and accomodating northern states were as concerns blacks and Civil Rights and racial harmony.

Quote:
Can you explained to why the South continued to attempt to subjugate Black people with domestic terrorism by the Klu Klux Klan and with laws like the Black Codes and Jim Crow laws? Can you explain to me why so many in the South stood against the marriage between black people and white people until well into the 20th century? Why did Southerners fight so hard against voting rights for Black people?
Let's get something clear. No one has to "explain" nor justify one dad-gum thing to you. You need to start examining your own history before lecturing Southerners on ours. I have said it before and I will say it again, the biggest single difference in Southern race relations and attitudes and customs was that we were just less hypocritical about it all.

But let's play this silly game of yours. Why was it many northern states, after abolishing slavery, outlawed black residency? Why did, when the Civil Rights movement went north, that both Dr. King and Andrew Young spoke of encountering much more hostility up there? Why have the worst relatively modern day race riots been in northern states? Why is it now that it is black and white Southerners who express the most optomism on race relations and it is now the most de-segregated region in the country (always was in many ways).

Quote:
Simply put at its core the "Southern" way of life was structured to deprive Black people of econonmic and poltical power at all cost. So the entire issue of the "Southern" way of life goes way beyond the issue of slavery.
See all above. Geez.

Last edited by TexasReb; 08-14-2010 at 08:50 PM..

Old 08-14-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I am a Southerner that has Southern pride. I don't feel like I have to apologize for something I had no part in perpetuating. I am not racist and have never owned a slave. You should not judge the South by our past, anymore than we should judge any other section of the nation by their past.
I applaud your choice not be a racist.

However, everything is is happening in the world today politically, socially, economically is rooted in the past.

I'lll agree that in some ways race relations have improved in the South.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:50 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Apparently and mistakenly you believe that there are no southern liberals, I hate to inform you about just how wrong you are.
Note the red states in the South compared to the liberal/democratvoting states. See a pattern?

There are liberals everywhere, even in the South, but they have been marginalized. Alas, no single place is perfect, there are rotten apples in every barrel.

There are liberals in the South, but there are fewer liberals now who admit to voting for this fraud in the White House.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I applaud your choice not be a racist.

However, everything is is happening in the world today politically, socially, economically is rooted in the past.

I'lll agree that in some ways race relations have improved in the South.

How much time have you spent in the South lately?

Old 08-14-2010, 09:13 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Quote:
Not to argue but the past is exactly what people like you continue to drum up.

No one is saying that people from the south and racism are synonymous.

However you and I would be outright disingenuous if we did not recognize and acknowledge that the so called "southern way of life" at it's core is a caste system built on slavery and the formation and perpetuation of blacks as inferior and undeserved to be regarded as equal citizens.

Many argue that their ancestors never owned a slave which is most likely factual however they can not claim with a straight face that their ancestors did not enjoy a position of social privilege at the expense of the black people, the poorest most morally bankrupted white person still was regarded superior in all forms to the most moral and intelligent black person.

What was this supposed "superiority" based on??..white skin.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
How much time have you spent in the South lately?
Quite a bit which is why I no longer chose to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies