Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:47 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
The fattest states - well, they do have the best food

The ones with the worst educational system - have you checked out California and Nevada school systems lately?

The ones quickest to try and deny equal rights to people -
that's such an old and tired stereotype - heard Arizona's the latest to be called racist
Except he's right on all accounts. I mean deny people rights...have you heard of slavery?

Actually California has the third best public school system in the nation after [shocker] Connecticut and Massachusetts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 12:16 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Except he's right on all accounts. I mean deny people rights...have you heard of slavery?
Have you ever heard of the slave trade? It wasn't in the hands of Southerners. Here is a little something for your reading pleasure as concerns your state, if you want to pick scabs:

Slavery in Massachusetts

Emancipation in Massachusetts

Old 06-04-2010, 12:18 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
who cares? The best thing to happen to the South was the Interstate system so we could quickly drive in and out of it!

Old 06-04-2010, 12:54 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
Jim Crow.
The Confederacy.
High levels of teen pregnancies.
Low levels of life expectancy.
Poverty
Racism

Yep.
Lot to have "pride" in...
Yep
We all know you hate the South (and who gives a fiddler's damn, far as that goes?). Which is actually not such a bad thing as it keeps you (and those like you) out of it. But regardless, pray talk and tell us about this area/region/ which stacks up so pristine and utopian as compares to the Southern United States?

What I don't -- and never can nor will -- understand, is why those of your ilk come onto a thread like this and give yourselves airs. Amplified even more when you don't even look into your own historical mirror before speaking.

I have been a member of this forum for several years, and can honestly say I have never seen Southerners do the same when it comes to subjects like this. For instance, if someone speaks of what is wonderful about the northeast? Then very seldom -- if at all -- are you going to see a Southerner making a point to wade in and interupt. Maybe it is just because we believe in live and let live. We figure we have our good and bad points just like any other region. Yet we also figure we can take care of both, and the other folk do the same. We just don't seem to have that compulsive need to feel self-righteous. And perhaps too, maybe it is just we are a very polite and good raised in the traditions of good manners.

Anyway, the easiest thing in the world is to pick scabs and pontificate. The harder one is to explain your own moral platform for doing so. In other words, identify the saints before you condemn the sinners. So go for it. Let's hear why and for what reasons, the South is inferior to other parts of the country.

A word to the wise though? Be very careful cos it might just come back bite you on the a$$.

Last edited by TexasReb; 06-04-2010 at 01:03 AM..

Old 06-04-2010, 01:38 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post

Actually California has the third best public school system in the nation after [shocker] Connecticut and Massachusetts.
The last I heard, Maryland had the best public schools in the country (where I went to school HA!)

If you go off the Mason Dixon line, Maryland is a Southern state.

The slavery argument is old and tired. New England brought them here and utilized them for years and years. If you want someone to blame for slavery, blame New England.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:21 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Have you ever heard of the slave trade? It wasn't in the hands of Southerners. Here is a little something for your reading pleasure as concerns your state, if you want to pick scabs:

Slavery in Massachusetts

Emancipation in Massachusetts
I find it sickening that Southerners try to defend slavery and Jim Crow with this stupid strawman argument and lame attempt at deflection. Your own links (to a bizarrely slanted site) are talking about the 1700s! Nice try but no cotton bale.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:29 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Leave out the Civil War and Jim crow, and I think that there are quite a few things for the South to be proud of.
That's a lot like saying "other then the fact that he was a pedophile and a murder he was a nice guy."

Old 06-04-2010, 05:38 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
^ It is. I tried to think of some nice things. "Some of those old houses have beautiful high ceilings." Someone mentioned authors and musicians.... what was the friction that ran through their work that defined Southern existence?

Old 06-04-2010, 06:13 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,349 times
Do you guys think it was the plain old everyday folks in the south who had slaves? How about the elite landed gentry? How about Thomas Jefferson? I think the stain of slavery was spread from Europe, Africa and the Carribean. Why do a preponderance of the black population still live in the south?
One poster claims that facts from the 1700's are irrelevant today. I say the whole argument is irrelevant today. Everyone should focus on making life better for all in today's world.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:51 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
We all know you hate the South (and who gives a fiddler's damn, far as that goes?). Which is actually not such a bad thing as it keeps you (and those like you) out of it. But regardless, pray talk and tell us about this area/region/ which stacks up so pristine and utopian as compares to the Southern United States?

What I don't -- and never can nor will -- understand, is why those of your ilk come onto a thread like this and give yourselves airs. Amplified even more when you don't even look into your own historical mirror before speaking.

I have been a member of this forum for several years, and can honestly say I have never seen Southerners do the same when it comes to subjects like this. For instance, if someone speaks of what is wonderful about the northeast? Then very seldom -- if at all -- are you going to see a Southerner making a point to wade in and interupt. Maybe it is just because we believe in live and let live. We figure we have our good and bad points just like any other region. Yet we also figure we can take care of both, and the other folk do the same. We just don't seem to have that compulsive need to feel self-righteous. And perhaps too, maybe it is just we are a very polite and good raised in the traditions of good manners.

Anyway, the easiest thing in the world is to pick scabs and pontificate. The harder one is to explain your own moral platform for doing so. In other words, identify the saints before you condemn the sinners. So go for it. Let's hear why and for what reasons, the South is inferior to other parts of the country.

A word to the wise though? Be very careful cos it might just come back bite you on the a$$.
TexReb, you're wasting your valuable time and expertise trying to educate the haters of the South. But, you are absolutely correct about not seeing Southerners wade in on subjects concening the North, East, or Northeast. First of all, nobody EVER starts a thread about those areas, and secondly, Southerns just don't say anything about other areas if they haven't been there or can't say something nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies