Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:26 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,096,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
It was announced months ago that all combat troops will be out of Iraq by next August which is pretty close to the timetable he laid out during the campaign.

No. He said he'd have the troops all out within 6 months. Now they are being withdrawn on the same timetable which had already been worked out with Bush & Co. And thousands of troops will be left there indefinately. I get so angry thinking about it that I'd really better not go on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 09:34 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,423,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
No...really. WHY??? Let them rot for all I care. I voted for Obama mainly to see us get out of Iraq. I smell a one term president.
Good Question! This is just one example of the President saying one thing and doing the opposite. However this is pretty much standard behavior with him. What happened to "Change you can believe in"? Who wants to believe in what he's been doing and promoting now especially considering what it will cost in taxpayer resources and loss of freedoms and loss of standard of living????

Old 09-21-2009, 09:41 PM

22,154 posts, read 19,397,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
No. He said he'd have the troops all out within 6 months. Now they are being withdrawn on the same timetable which had already been worked out with Bush & Co. And thousands of troops will be left there indefinately. I get so angry thinking about it that I'd really better not go on.

He never said 6 months, his position during the campaign going back to the Primaries was 16 months. The actual plan came to about 18 months once it was implemented.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:53 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,950,617 times
Sadly, I too believe that WE never had any business in sending troops into Iraq and IMO.....it was predictable that it would happen when Bush was in office.
NOW......we're in Afghanistan and it is no longer Bush and Co. calling the shots.
To me.....the entire thing is another BIG quagmire similar to our lengthy presence in SE Asia from the early 60's through '75 when Saigon fell and our troops NEVER really had the chance to "drawdown" on a "gradual" basis.
It amazes me that we continue to spend BILLIONS and BILLIONS we CANNOT afford to keep our military presence so entrenched over there and whatever benefits there may be in doing so........just DON'T seem worth it at all!
We have superior technology to deal with such adversity in a way that we really don't NEED such troop numbers over there. With the technology we have....(thanks to OUR generous military spending), we should have NO problem eliminating multiple targets by the push of a button. But, this is not an option, I guess.
There ARE reasons why we remain there and all that OIL.....is it, more than any other, I guess. I highly doubt that our military presence over there will EVER prevent another terrorist attack HERE or EVER......end in a "victory" for US. Guess it depends on what exactly defines victory, I suppose.
But, it truly appears that there is a vested interest, GLOBALLY.....to ensure that Dubai, becomes the Capital of EARTH and eventually......a single global currency, a single BANK and a single WORLD GOVERNMENT will be headquartered there with an all NEW an "improved Constitution" in place for ALL of US......and it won't resemble a thing, like the one WE have had here in America for over 230 years.
So, it is time to prepare to bow down America.........to YOUR NEW LEADERS!
And, THAT TIME.....has truly begun.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:59 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,169,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Sorry, Hill, but I do believe that "nation building" has been put on a the back burner. A rehab contingent upon sale, maybe, but nation building... naw.
Back burner, front burner, its still burning.

CNN.com - Rebuilding Iraq: What will it cost? - Dec. 10, 2003
Quote:
Analysts have said it could cost anything from $84 billion to nearly $500 billion to rebuild Iraq, a country battered by two wars in two decades and 12 years of United Nations sanctions.

One economist from America's Yale University predicted rebuilding Iraq could cost up to $1.6 trillion over 10 years.
Then there is the worlds largest embassy, there is that small thing about US military bases being permanent that many Iraqi's are a bit worried about.

If the U.S. is ultimately leaving Iraq, why is the military building 'permanent' bases?
Quote:
FCNL urges the Obama Administration and the 111th Congress to send a clear signal to both the U.S. and Iraqi people that the U.S. does not intend to build or maintain permanent bases in Iraq. We also urge both branches of government to provide greater transparency of the cost and magnitude of the U.S. military presence there.
U.S. seeking 58 bases in Iraq, Shiite lawmakers say
U.S. seeking 58 bases in Iraq, Shiite lawmakers say | McClatchy
Quote:
BAGHDAD -Iraqi lawmakers say the United States is demanding 58 bases as part of a proposed "status of forces" agreement that will allow U.S. troops to remain in the country indefinitely.
With all the worries over Iran currently, I do not see the US leaving Iraq any time soon. I hope I'm wrong but one thing about the US, once a tent goes up, the flag of claim follows.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:23 AM

487 posts, read 635,223 times
Quote:
No...really. WHY??? Let them rot for all I care. I voted for Obama mainly to see us get out of Iraq. I smell a one term president.
We're there to protect Israel in the long term by fundamentally changing the Middle East.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:30 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,883,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
We're there to protect Israel in the long term by fundamentally changing the Middle East.
How's it working out???

Old 09-22-2009, 03:34 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,201,689 times
Quote:
I smell a "Plant"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies