Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times

Advertisements

Reality..learn Spanish or be left behind. French, German, Italian are all great languages but the US has made Spanish the 2nd defacto language of the US.

As the hispanics rise in numbers non-Spanish speaking people will be left out.
Just reality folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 09:31 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
USA has turned into a bilingual/multicutural country, it's just reality, whoever wants to get in the program should learn spanish, I learned fluent english in less than a year, really it's no biggie....
It makes a whole lot more sense for Latin America to learn English..............Spanish is not an important language elsewhere in the world------English is.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Reality..learn Spanish or be left behind. French, German, Italian are all great languages but the US has made Spanish the 2nd defacto language of the US.

As the hispanics rise in numbers non-Spanish speaking people will be left out.
Just reality folks.
I doubt that; the pendulum is starting to swing against this bilingualism crap---------especially with large numbers of (mostly Hispanic) illegal aliens starting to leave the USA for a multitude of reasons.

Face it: by and large; those people who come to the USA illegally and speaking Spanish are uneducated peons.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
Based on what?
This sounds more like a biased statement than an informed one.
What language is the one used worldwide for diplomacy, aviation, science, etc?

HINT: it ain't Spanish or French.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Well, you're definitely not an international businessmen.
This is not a one language world. Despite your apparent dislike of Hispanics as demonstrated on this forum, Spanish is an important language worldwide.
Not important outside of either Spain or Latin America. Spanish is like French or Mandarin Chinese----------all are very provincial tongues.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:29 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,066,262 times
English is a global language, but at the same time it is helpful to learn other languages too.

Spanish is also spoken in Equatorial Guinea.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:14 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,043,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I just started a new job in the credit union industry after working for a big national bank for over two years. In the last few months at my old job I noticed a few things.

- Over 70-80% of the new branch banking jobs posted in the DC area for my company wanted only applicants who could speak Spanish (dont even call it bi-lingual).
- Most of the new staff (about 85%) that were hired were hispanics. In fact I went to one branch that had an almost an all-hispanic teller line. Made me feel like a complete outsider working on that line.
- Some of the places that were the most strigent in the Spanish-speaking requirement were in areas that you'd figure wouldn't have much of a need for Spanish speakers. For example, I saw bi-lingual openings in the most affluent areas of Northern VA where you'd figure that the population there had so much money they would at least speak English.
- Most of my staff would take almost any form of ID including conseluar IDs (which a person legally in the US has no reason to have), foreign passports with no visible visa stamp, expired drivers licenses from states that stopped giving them to illegals (for example North Carolina), fake immigration documents, etc. Anyway to get credit for opening an account they would do it.
- I was picked on for refusing to learn any Spanish. I'm a FT college student, with family and household responsibilties, a social life, and a job. When do I have time to learn Spanish?

I'm thankful that I now have a job at a financial institution where i'm on an even playing field and have more selected clientele. It is just sad that one field where a non-college bound kid could work their way up is now becoming off-limits in certain areas if you dont speak Spanish or even if you aren't Hispanic.
And what does this have to do with illegal immigration?

BTW, I know many people in California who are not Latino/Hispanic and hold bilingual positions.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:01 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,162 times
Quote:

Frankly, I think this belongs in Legal Immigration or Politics and Controversies as this is more about Hispanics and Spanish than it is about illegal immigration.
I agree. I'm moving this to politics, maybe this way this topic will get some fresh ideas. Because as it is, it's all been said here before, numerous times.
Yac.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:41 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
It probably takes a lawsuit by a person who speaks some other language.

At various times over the last few decades the federal government argued the idea of whether notices and correspondence should be in Spanish and English. The argument was that if it was done in Spanish, too, then someone who only spoke Chinese or Russian, for example, could make a fuss and that could get expensive. Plus, if you print Spanish notices/correspondence, you have to have employees that can handle their calls in response to them. Not sure if the federal government is printing letters and notices in Spanish these days but I think for it to end it would require some other group of people to get a lawyer and raise a fuss and say "Why them and not my language, too?" If a judge ruled in their favor then my guess would be it's cheaper not to do it at all.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:46 AM

841 posts, read 2,260,421 times
Good. Nothing Wrong Here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies